been loving this LP "Mott"

superb elpee

there's quite a strong the clash connection interestingly

(cult hero) guy stevens was their manager

mick jones later produced an ian hunter lp

anyone feeling mott the hoople?

jenks

thread death
Think Jones was also ran their fan club - he often turns up on documentaries raving about them.
Think they are one of those bands, like the Feelgoods, for whom the live setting was where they were at their best - descriptions of their gigs certainly sound amazing.
Lot of time for Ian Hunter, his Diary... a work worth checking out.

Woebot

re: fanclub - not to contradict you (im sure you're right too) but on the back of this LP it lists Kris Needs - another "face" - as running the fan club. Needs must have been really young !?!?!

there's some cosmic symmetry here with morrissey running the new york dolls fanclub isn't there?

i expect there might be quite a bit of this sort of thing in reynolds forthcoming book

i might dig out that diary...

funnily enough the daughter of an old colleague used to have an imaginary friend called Ian Hunter (tee hee) - universal unconscious ahoy!

jenks

thread death
You could be right - Needs does also turn up on those documentaries - like the Dolls, Mott were probably more influential in the bands who formed because of them than they were with actual chart success.
I had a Hunter/Ronson album as a teenager, I went to look it out last night - gone and I assume lost forever...