Acid Techno

slowtrain

Yes, I absolutely love Acid Techno. The 'industrial' 'noise' techno currently in vogue, owes a fuckload to A.T., that they probably wont admit to. It's music that is deeply unfashionable, but bizarrely so. People love it, once a crowd is smashed I have never seen a place NOT go off when u play Chris Liberator / Geezer/ etc. It's always been consistent too - I often listen to records thinking they are from mid late 90s, but actually are from 2008 or something.

Don't know about the dudes utopian stuff in the article tho (probably comes from being neither old nor english enough to 'be there') - this track is still hilarious and brilliant:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hN758kyiBDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"sounds like bullshit to me"

Last edited:

NOAT

I've got to point out here that neither I, nor any of my friends, who were raving to acid techno back in '96 had dreadlocks. There were also a lot of women at the clubs/ raves - far, far more than at any of the 'purist' techno do's I've since been to.

Seems he's old enough at least, Slowtrain.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wouldn't say that I absolutely love the music. It's pretty fun I guess. It's just that to me, whenever I had one of those weekends when you go out on Friday and you meet a friend and he takes you somewhere else and then you go somewhere else and you're still going on Sunday afternoon, it was always acid techno that ended up being the soundtrack to the last party, normally in a factory in Hackney Wick. On dissensus (and elsewhere) there is loads of discussion of hardcore and jungle and garage and grime and dubstep but I've never read anything about acid techno in the same way, and I've never really thought about it until I read that article. In my experience, London raving was a lot more about this stuff than the so-called 'nuum stuff that everyone talks about.
I guess for a scene to become discussed in that way there needs to be some eloquent voice that is passionate about the scene who writes about it in a way that's knowledgeable. For me, acid house wasn't written about much at the time because music journalists didn't know how to write about it and they were too busy covering bands - and when Happy Mondays and Primal Scream and that came along you could see that the journalists were relieved and kinda elevated them to being the kings of the scene. A few years later, some good writers who had been too busy getting twatted at the time decided that they could explain why they'd lost a few years going to these parties and suddenly there was a kind of critical reevaluation of acid house and other scenes (and everyone noticed that Primal Scream weren't that good). This has never happened for acid techno as far as I can tell. Maybe it never will.

slowtrain

Seems he's old enough at least, Slowtrain.

Oh wasn't disagreeing with that - just disagreeing with the idea that it got shittier once it lost the 'utopian' aspect (although I can imagine that that would hold true for the parties)

Pearsall

Prodigal Son

catalog

good stuff really enjoyed reading that. i think i went to my first squat party in 99, it was a DnB/acid techno one in herne hill. pretty sketchy. there was exposed wiring hanging from a ceiling that some kids were swinging on.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah great read. my favourite sound is the midwest/cologne acid techno, which predated london acid by a couple of years but for me is much wilder and freakier. occasionally you hear it out at raves/free parties but rarely these days. i have a mate with loads of those records, might get him to play them when we win the league at white heart lane (oh shit, the tottenham hotspur stadium, i mean) again and he wants to cry into his cornflakes.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
yeah great read. my favourite sound is the midwest/cologne acid techno, which predated london acid by a couple of years but for me is much wilder and freakier. occasionally you hear it out at raves/free parties but rarely these days. i have a mate with loads of those records, might get him to play them when we win the league at white heart lane (oh shit, the tottenham hotspur stadium, i mean) again and he wants to cry into his cornflakes.

so like the Drop Bass Network and the stuff they put out? really like that too, definitely not as linear as the London acid techno (also a lot harder to mix!). that whole scene is also really interesting, I found this video recently of a very young Daft Punk playing acid at one of the Furthur parties in rural Wisconsin:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so like the Drop Bass Network and the stuff they put out? really like that too, definitely not as linear as the London acid techno (also a lot harder to mix!). that whole scene is also really interesting, I found this video recently of a very young Daft Punk playing acid at one of the Furthur parties in rural Wisconsin:

yeah, drop bass network, analog records, Direct Drive, early missile records, dj.ungle fever etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
easygroove sometimes used to play this stuff at +6 mixed in with the jungle and ardkore, by far a dj who doesn't nearly get enough credits, big influence on me.

luka

you have to take more drugs than im willing to take to start liking this music. its a Rubicon you cross once youve had over 10,000 Ecstasy Tablets and ketamines.

catalog

I think it's more about lying on piles of rubbish on warehouses but yeah, the powder helps. Or maybe more the music helps the drugs. But I listened to a big of the mix earlier completely sober and thought it was pretty good. He obviously knows his shit and he's completely right what he says about the snobbiness of the techno sign. Always a good sign when someone starts as a drummer as well