coldcut vs crazy titch on radio one

Woebot

again I have this sinking feeling...

why do the grimesters always seem to make slightly terrible choices when it comes to collaborations?

dizzy did pretty well with basement jaxx (though really, its a little teeny wenny bit sad isnt it) but herbert and tony allen! please no!

the best stuff seem to be things like harry toddler' "donkey kick" on wiley's icerink. or vybz cartel and kardinal official on "forward". i'm trying to picture a collaboration outside the "urban" environment which would work. i suppose genaside II and tricky working with the wu tang is some kind of precedent, but really neither of those were projects that were particularly sexy.....

....i'm half thinking a break-core thing would be good (..nah!) or a heavy metal thing (...nah...)

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:

why do the grimesters always seem to make slightly terrible choices when it comes to collaborations?

dizzy did pretty well with basement jaxx (though really, its a little teeny wenny bit sad isnt it) but herbert and tony allen! please no!

the best stuff seem to be things like harry toddler' "donkey kick" on wiley's icerink. or vybz cartel and kardinal official on "forward". i'm trying to picture a collaboration outside the "urban" environment which would work. i suppose genaside II and tricky working with the wu tang is some kind of precedent, but really neither of those were projects that were particularly sexy.....

....i'm half thinking a break-core thing would be good (..nah!) or a heavy metal thing (...nah...)

coulda been management that thought it was a good idea,
i can't stand coldcut, there is something about them that make me run screaming.
dj food is pretty good at djing but coldcut, they just make such bad music.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
I had a listen earlier. It's kind of interesting. It's quite obvious that the dude from Coldcut has never worked with an mc before because he keeps trying to make the beat absurdly over-complicated, wanking away with his technology. Titch is bemused. The stream buffered out before the end so I didn't get a chance to hear the final product.

hint

party record with a siren
WOEBOT said:

it's all put together by the radio show's producer... sends out an invitation to various musicians to see who'd be up for a one hour collaboration with a mystery 2nd party and then sticks 2 of the people who say yes together.

glee

WOEBOT said:

who's working with herbert and tony allen?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Dizzee did that RFH double-header with Tony Allen, so I presume it must be him. Don't see why a collab between the two would have been a bad idea tho' - I would've loved to have seen them work together. It's hardly an obvious choice.

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
coulda been management that thought it was a good idea,
i can't stand coldcut, there is something about them that make me run screaming.
dj food is pretty good at djing but coldcut, they just make such bad music.

"people hold on" is pretty good. maybe too cheesy for you hipsters? people forget the part they played in acid house imo.

bassnation

the abyss
Terror Danjah Australis said:
Lucky Star and Where's Your Head At are my favourite BJ traxx ever.

wheres your head at is good for punked out mayhem. but theres loads better jaxx tracks than that. set yo body free is industrial grinding house music of the first order, as mental as anything kevin martin has ever done. all of their stuff post remedy has been ah, interesting, lots of different ideas but it all sounds so awkward, never seems to gel.

got lots of respect for them always trying something new, but the last lp just washed over my ears leaving nothing very memorable, the dizzee collab included. his own music just sounds so much better.

D

droid

Terror Danjah Australis said:
Lucky Star and Where's Your Head At are my favourite BJ traxx ever.

Did you know that the big catchy riff that dominates 'Where's Your Head At ' is lifted from a Gary Numan tune? Makes me wonder how many of their other hooks are nicked...

G

grosun

droid said:
Did you know that the big catchy riff that dominates 'Where's Your Head At ' is lifted from a Gary Numan tune? Makes me wonder how many of their other hooks are nicked...

Oh, loads of 'em probably, "Samba Magic" for a start, but does it really matter so long as the tunes are good? Best for me are probably the original mix of "Fly Life" and "Jump & Shout", along with a few of their rough-bassline house tunes where they'd just get silly with the FX & monkey noises.

On the Coldcut front, "Stop this Crazy Thing" was great... a lot of their early stuff was excellent all round, though hasn't stood the test of time as well as Bomb The Bass's stuff. Since then though, they've been pretty irrelevant, & the beat-nerd shit he was pulling on that show was painfully embarrassing... like, you've got an HOUR, stop fooling with your 'secret beat chopping plugin' (Bram's SupaTrigga unless I'm very much mistaken; pissed me off that he were open about Ableton but all secretive about that) & get on with it! Doesn't matter if you just loop the 'simple' bit of the mule beat. It's fat anyway. Get a move on!