the futureheads

S

simon silverdollar

so...are they good, or are they bad?
they've never done much for me, but lots of people who i like and respect are into them.

even ultra d-i-y people at hardcore gigs seem to like them.

so, futureheads fans, convince me that your way is the one true way, and bring me into the light...

owen

hmm, i'm afraid all i've heard is a cover of 'hounds of love' that makes a great song all lumpen and blokey. didn't encourage me to investigate further.

h-crimm

its a little bit odd that the slampt label gets the big final thankyou from what ends up with a completely anti-slampt-aestetic

in the end i think theyre just a bit normal, okay as pop music for indie boybots who want to think that franz ferdinand et al is a bit intellectual.
seen them play two xmasses ago and they have some energy - improvement on big UK bands at the time...
i'm not really feelin it tho.

daren

I listened to one of their songs through a mixtape trade. It wasn't too impressed with their XTC-like vocal stylings.

mms

sometimes
totally fucking shit , they sound like a jam pub tribute band.
dreadful.
i'll add that this is the worst thing in the world as paul welller is so totally loathesome.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

oh dear, you guys are just confirming my worst fears about the futureheads...
i don't like them either but so many good people do like them that i can't help but think that there must be SOMETHING there. but i'm not sure what.

annoying xtc vocal stylings, as said upthread = OTM [as i believe is the preferred term...]

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
They're an excellent live band- funny, intelligent, angular, exciting. However the album, although superficially similar to them live, is much less sharp and urgent. It's really fucking dull. The cover of Hounds Of Love is dogshit too.

Nevertheless, their fanbase seems to be growing by the day.

Noah Baby Food

They're OK, better than most of the waste indie from the UK at the moment. Nothing really new though. Nice lads. Interesting though - the album's been out for time and the label tried to break 'em with "Decent Days and Nights" and a few other tunes....obviously didn't blow 'em up as big as required coz then they re-released the Kate Bush cover and the album is advertised ALL THE BLOODY TIME on UK tv. Trying to get 'em to be a big Franz-style act, when before they were marketed as a bit more punk and "quirky".

679 - good label though, nice roster.

ryan17

i don't rate them.

i think one of the reasons people want to like them is cause one of the gang of four guys produced the album or something.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
I think they can be defended from the XTC vocal stylings charge- their vocals are quite individual with that Wear-side accent, I think there's some grit there rather than artifice.

I did really like that song of their, First Day, about starting a dead-end new job and being treated like shit ("this is a job that people die for!"). It had the down to earth documentary realism like that 80s indie Rough Trade box that Woebot was going on about, but it was a lot more urgent.

Mind you, I can't be bothered to defend them really. Everytime my flatmate rabbits on about them makes me more determined that they crash and burn.

Woebot

mms said:
totally fucking shit , they sound like a jam pub tribute band.
dreadful.
i'll add that this is the worst thing in the world as paul welller is so totally loathesome.

completely agree with this

hint

party record with a siren
simon silverdollar said:
so, futureheads fans, convince me that your way is the one true way, and bring me into the light...

they...err... write good songs... and...err... the album sounds good.

I think the andy gill attraction holds more weight than simply having his name on the sleeve - the album's clearly "produced" by him and is all the better for it.

it's bread and butter stuff (but I appreciate that bread and butter falls short of what some people demand / expect from music)

tryptych

waiting for a time
I like the Futureheads. They're great live, they're spikey and loud and I like their vocal harmonies. I also dig their musical "dogme" attitude that they talked about a year or so ago.

I haven't been here (dissensus) long, but I really can't understand how there are threads about the futureheads being shit, and then over in the R&B thread people saying how much they like R Kelly and J Lo. I wonder if I belong here....