Woebot
14-04-2015, 08:22 PM
worst thing ever

CrowleyHead
14-04-2015, 08:26 PM
#facts

empty mirror
15-04-2015, 01:21 PM
the pokemonization of the record industry!

http://media.giphy.com/media/fojoNF8ynBDR6/giphy.gif

paolo
15-04-2015, 06:28 PM
There certainly seems to be a bit of a backlash

Co-owner Jason Brunton said: "We're doing a small protest - Record Store Day causes havoc for the pressing plants and distributors.

"In the last three years in particular, Record Store Day has turned into the worst elements of collecting. Last year we had over 200 hundred people phone the shop, wanting seven inch Kate Bush picture discs."

"I see it as major labels taking tracks that already available and making collector's items out of them - and Record Store Day isn't about that.

"Within the EU there are two or three pressing plants that are booked three months in advance around Record Store Day, we're feeling the effects of that in particular.

"You can't get anything done. If you want something printed in March, April or May you're gubbed, and that can ruin a small label if you've booked publicity or promos and your record isn't out.

http://glasgow.stv.tv/articles/317047-rubadub-claims-independent-labels-suffer-from-record-store-day/

Leo
16-04-2015, 04:25 PM
the anti-record store day record store (will burnett aka willie burns):

http://vimeo.com/64448890

rubberdingyrapids
16-04-2015, 04:28 PM
they should ban the majors from taking part.

Woebot
16-04-2015, 08:48 PM
because it's like charity isn't it. if i owned a record store i would refuse to have anything to do with it. i would shut the shop for the day and put a big poster in the window which said FUCK YOU.

DannyL
16-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Though - I've read several comments from record store owners that they actually clean up, in some cases doing several week's worth of business in one day. So, it actually does what it says on the tin, and works for those it's intended to. It fucks pressing plants and 95% of the releases don't need to exist but still.....

rubberdingyrapids
17-04-2015, 11:07 AM
i can see why some shop owners might be pissed off, but on the other hand, its not like theyre doing a roaring trade all year round. i think its fine for them to half hate it, half thank it for sending them new customers. and say what you want about it (RSD prob does need to have a rethink about its criteria), but it probably can claim some responsibility for the recent spikes in vinyl popularity (even if those spikes are more like tiny little pricks, but significant pricks all the same).

john eden
17-04-2015, 03:53 PM
It's not a big deal, just ONE day a year when you can't go to a record shop...

matt b
17-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Some Independent record shops have been saying (based on an article I read via Twitter) that no-one buys records in the run up to RSD, so they lose their regular income stream for a month.

They then feel compelled to gamble on potentially high selling RSD stock in order to make up the difference. This benefits the big independents because they can get a lot of stock in.

Phil at Norman Records has said that it was a case of getting involved in RSD or losing a member of staff.

trza
22-04-2015, 02:21 PM
I will confess, I went to a couple stores on RSD. I was on vacation, and I had one shop I wanted to visit that was closed on Sunday. I knew there was another one in the neighborhood that hadn't posted its hours online, so I went on Saturday to make sure I could get to both. There weren't many people at either store, neither one had any new records or exclusives, and I spent about forty bucks.