Can I make a suggestion?

Would you agree that the aforementioned forums need consolidation?

• Yes

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
In the 'can we have a food forum' thread, Woebot said he thought we had enough forums.

I completely agree.

But I think part of the problem is that we have too many! Why don't we consolidate? Given that Film (for example) has about one thread a day, why not combine that with Art and Literature? Maybe we could let food threads go in there?

Technology and Nature could be in a Science forum, and even Politics and Thought could be combined (although the last one is probably not too important as both those get a fair ammount of traffic).

What do you all think?

Melchior said:
In the 'can we have a food forum' thread, Woebot said he thought we had enough forums.

I completely agree.

But I think part of the problem is that we have too many! Why don't we consolidate? Given that Film (for example) has about one thread a day, why not combine that with Art and Literature? Maybe we could let food threads go in there?

Technology and Nature could be in a Science forum, and even Politics and Thought could be combined (although the last one is probably not too important as both those get a fair ammount of traffic).

What do you all think?

But there also needs to be a Threads thread. Not one about the nuclear destruction of Sheffield. No, one about jackets, shoes, bicycle clips, record bags, sunglasses, cufflinks, etc. If the revolution is to be televised, I want to look good.

Woebot

Melchior said:

I completely agree.

What do you all think?

well i'd be up for that. the technology and politics forums are mark's babies and to that end i'd be cautious about messing with them, but speaking personally i agree completely. also melchior, i think how your suggesting the consolidation is really sensible.

so would people vote:

a) Forum X* (comprising Film, Art and Literature)
b) Science (comprising Technology and Nature)
c) Forum Y* (comprising Politics and Thought)

* name suggestions welcome

martin

----
It's not the forums that bother me, but the deluge of posts. I'd personally like to add 15-20 new forums, but only permit one post per member per week. Makes sense? Yes, I knew you'd agree

dominic

Beast of Burden
i rarely make new posts

my MO is to respond to what others say

however, i do like to announce events/bar nights that i think may be of some interest to dissensus people

i.e., there's some guy from sheffield who's always announcing stuff that's going on in sheffield, i do the same w/ whatever things i may know about in new york, etc

and yet such announcements do seem to get in the way of the general course of things on the music forum

so maybe a different forum for event/show/club night announcements -- as well as reactions to and assessments of shows, or takes on this or that new bar or club

and such events/shows could be in any area of concern, not simply music but also events like the panel discussion of blissblogger's post-punk book -- or maybe upcoming lectures -- whatever

turtles

in the sea
I don't know if this is at all possible, but what seems useful would be to have a "topic" subheading whereby posts within a forum could be classified as being about Food, or Events/Shows or something. Like being able to select from a drop down menu a list of suggested possible topics for posts, so that at a glance people could know the general topic of a post within a more broad forum area (this would be in addition to the titles people give to their posts, of course). That way there would be two levels of classification, one high level, one a bit more specific.

I'm not trying to create a make-work project or anything here, and don't know if this is within the capabilities of the forum software, but i thought it might be a nice idea.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
bipedaldave said:
I don't know if this is at all possible, but what seems useful would be to have a "topic" subheading whereby posts within a forum could be classified as being about Food, or Events/Shows or something.

I think this is a really good idea, and it's certainly within the capability of vBulletin.

As for names, maybe (a) could be non-musical arts? Not sure about that one.
(c) should be what it is now, Politics and Thought.

Woebot

ok i'll leave this thread up for a week. see how many votes we get and i'm gong to see what mark has to say too.

i'll look into categories but i think that might be a bit fiddly (technically too, i think i may need a hack...). no one will be bothered to categorise what theyre saying will they?

enuff with the beauracracy woebot!

bassnation

the abyss
john eden said:
categories - just make thread titles clearer where possible?

would be nice if the text wrapped at less characters. i've got a big monitor and its murder reading a huge long line of text right across the entire screen.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
WOEBOT said:
i'll look into categories but i think that might be a bit fiddly (technically too, i think i may need a hack...). no one will be bothered to categorise what theyre saying will they?

I know of at least one vB board which has categories, and which requiries you to choose one to post a thread. It's a big board (over 10,000 registered I think, with well over 2,000 online at once regularly). But it might be a hack, I think the guy who does their tech stuff is fairly switched on that way. PM if you'd like to have a look at it woebot.

Edit: oh yeah, I imagine there's a lot of people who look into the other forums, but not this one, maybe make a site wide announcement if you want feeback?

Woebot

i'm going to take a raincheck on this melchior. personally i like the idea, but think i may wait, perhaps until the forum reaches it's first birthday. good suggestion though.