is Skepta gunna be a Global Superstar?

Is Skepta gunna be famous?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CrowleyHead

He needs to work with actual rappers if he wants to break here. I-D and Noisey have him fucked up, thinking all the world is controlled by the same 20 people in NYC when in reality that just covers a certain branch of media.

This is what prevented Dizzee from ever being taken serious here. I mean, obviously the accents, the cultural divide, etc. But like, doing songs with Grit Boyz, UGK Reunion Albums and el-P do not grant you crossover. Plus it needs to be a lot more than one or two songs, its gotta be like, years of work.

Also I finally got around to hearing that Blacklisted mixtape and BOY was that shit trash.

luka

Bad music is no barrier to success but i agree that working with earl sweatsuit might be

CrowleyHead

Bad music is no barrier to success but i agree that working with earl sweatsuit might be

If he wants to make it as a crossover artist in American Rap he needs to be hitting at least at French/Keef/Future level street bangers. Some dude who can't come up with choruses talking about "The Ace Hood Hustle Hard Flow" (??????) over xanax snares is not going to win awards here.

Earl Sweatshirt is also considered a 'weirdo' still. Skepta isn't going to make it, this myth that the greatest buying power relies in middle class audiences always forgets that its the guys who can have radio-friendly records. They're just not played on radio because Rap Radio is competing with R&B and pop radio. Earl and Ratking don't do that, and their record sales reflect such. Skepta is thinking he's going to aim for the over 20K realm, and he's going to end up with 1 thousand at best.

rubberdingyrapids

globally, i dont see it happening.
but in europe, definitely.
no point trying to really win over the US.
but doing collabos with US artists can help his cred elsewhere in the world.
so i could see him doing well in plenty of other non uk territories.
he might want to make himself a proper uk star first though.
one or two big singles is a good start, but that album is taking a while.
hopefully he doesnt fuck it up.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Big H is the only person in grime with enough musical dexterity and pop sensibility to make it elsewhere. He's the best pop star we've had since Annie Lennox.

Skepta is a joke. He's already famous but still. He's the least of a vanguard, and thus.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

lol@big h.

just cos skepta has some funny punchlines, doesnt mean hes a joke. sometimes (ok a lot of times), he is funny in a kanye sort of way, which is to say funny, but also a bit stupid/ropey/crappy, but i find it endearing.

its hard for a grime pop star anyway. i remember when you had people at the observer writing things like 'national treasure' about dizzee (on the back of dance wiv me!). fingers x skeppy can hang around for a bit before he starts webstreaming himself hoovering etc.

trilliam

globally, i dont see it happening.
but in europe, definitely.
no point trying to really win over the US.
but doing collabos with US artists can help his cred elsewhere in the world.
so i could see him doing well in plenty of other non uk territories.
he might want to make himself a proper uk star first though.
one or two big singles is a good start, but that album is taking a while.
hopefully he doesnt fuck it up.

Lol at big h man wtf..

Ion fuck with skepta but this is one of the best UK rap songs I've heard period

Got put on it after the brits backlash and was like ye this guy can do his thing. Wont begrudge how he gets there.

Secundus

I really don't think that he's going for 'global superstar' anymore. in recent interviews it sounds like his whole thing is making himself (to a lesser extent the whole uk) respectable in a global rap context so he can sell them bbk merch

CrowleyHead

Lol at big h man wtf..

Ion fuck with skepta but this is one of the best UK rap songs I've heard period

Got put on it after the brits backlash and was like ye this guy can do his thing. Wont begrudge how he gets there.

Didn't this get taken down for a minute b/c Eminem tried to negotiate to buy the song?