luka
09-07-2015, 12:50 PM
WHAT DO THE YOOT NEED 2 NOE?

Jim Daze
09-07-2015, 01:00 PM
A level in Tolkein Studies x

Jim Daze
09-07-2015, 01:02 PM
I wish there had been a course called 'How To Live' I would have taken that, yes.

luka
09-07-2015, 01:10 PM
A field guide to all the people and institutions that are gunna try and fuck you over in life

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 01:11 PM
A level in Tolkein Studies x

Well it's about time we settled the question of WHO INVENTED ELVES.

HMGovt
09-07-2015, 01:54 PM
The healing power of crystals.

Mr. Tea
09-07-2015, 02:45 PM
A field guide to...

...the commonest edible, toxic and psychoactive fungi of the British Isles.

woops
09-07-2015, 03:32 PM
A field guide to all the people and institutions that are gunna try and fuck you over in life

This is more like a full university degree than an A-level

luka
09-07-2015, 05:20 PM
GUYS ITS A SERIOUS QUESTION OKAY

Woebot
10-07-2015, 05:21 PM
- What food to eat and how much.

- How to get a good nights sleep.

- Avoid boredom without destroying your body.

- Why social media sucks balls.

Glacial 718
10-07-2015, 05:55 PM
How to go for a walk

Leo
10-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Forget about wasting time at college to get a boring white-collar office job. Instead, be an electrician or plumber. Those guys charge an arm-and-leg around here and all you have to be is somewhat good/reliable and you'll always be busy.

OK, maybe not a plumber, who sometimes have to deal with gross clogged toilets, etc.

jenks
13-07-2015, 08:55 AM
You don't have to re-write it, they are doing it at schools already. With a rumbling funding crisis which seems to get zero air time on the telly (no new money coming in, increased NI employer contributions etc etc), schools are busily slashing and burning all manner of courses. I found out last week that drama has been removed from my school's curriculum. Watch music and other 'creative' subjects go as the pressure to deliver eBacc subjects increases. The Govian rigour is about to kick in from September with all new GCSEs and A levels which only the top end of the school will be able to access. So, yes, maybe a course on how to make do on very little might well be a useful course.

you
13-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Lessons warning of the dangers of coasting and complacency.
Lessons teaching the virtues of targets and private funding.

Mr. Tea
13-07-2015, 04:25 PM
A thoroughgoing exegesis of the lyrics to Pink Floyd's The Wall.

you
13-07-2015, 04:29 PM
How to operate programs that can fake care and concern (http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630202.000-no-empathy-fake-it-with-an-app-that-perfects-your-online-self.html)for impactful results (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26777-pay-a-robot-scribe-to-pen-letters-in-your-handwriting.html).

How to speak for maximum employer desirability. (http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/06/while-poshness-tests-are-still-use-social-mobility-will-be-national-running-joke)

luka
13-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Be nice to get a serious answer if anyone feels like exerting themselves

you
13-07-2015, 04:47 PM
wish I was joking - it's hard to imagine a future that needs people who've read Tolstoy and Proust.

luka
13-07-2015, 04:54 PM
I'll have to do it myself. When I get a chance

Mr. Tea
13-07-2015, 04:54 PM
How to operate programs that can fake care and concern (http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630202.000-no-empathy-fake-it-with-an-app-that-perfects-your-online-self.html)for impactful results (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26777-pay-a-robot-scribe-to-pen-letters-in-your-handwriting.html).

How to speak for maximum employer desirability. (http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/06/while-poshness-tests-are-still-use-social-mobility-will-be-national-running-joke)

Some other tools are a bit sillier. The Emotional Labor browser extension, built by New York City writer Joanne McNeil, will embellish emails with exclamation points, smiley faces and affectionate words – a spoonful of linguistic sugar added with a single click. Distracted men can download the BroApp, a program that automatically sends their girlfriends boilerplate texts like “Hey babe, how was your day?” and “Miss you”.

Kill me.

Woebot
14-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Be nice to get a serious answer if anyone feels like exerting themselves

sheesh! is that the gratitude everyone gets for replying to your thread... shocking rudeness.

i was being deadly, deadly serious. i would have added taking exercise (like glacial) except there already is a class for that called PE.

luka
14-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Yeah so did Jenkins but i need 10,000 words plus

luka
14-07-2015, 09:20 PM
And me starting threads is a public service

Mr. Tea
14-07-2015, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty sure all you ever need to know in Home Ec is "you can never have too much kitchen roll". That would have been more useful than anything else I ever learnt in Home Ec, probably.

sufi
14-07-2015, 09:24 PM
i need 10,000 words plus
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n09/jenny-turner/barely-under-control
replete w pathetic letter of rebuttal from the odious toby young

Mr. Tea
14-07-2015, 09:49 PM

One school near where I live in South-East London has an intake of British, African, African-Caribbean, European and Asian children: it put up an enormous Union flag mural, with ‘Democracy, the Great British Value’, emblazoned on it, the ‘V’ of Value done as a tick.

Ugh, it sounds like a fucking Tesco advert.

I could quite happily go the rest of my life without hearing or reading one more thing described as "Great British". It's invariably something shit.

jenks
15-07-2015, 09:31 AM

That was a cracking piece - first time I read something in the public domain about education that actually felt like the writer actually had a real idea about what is really going on. The Toby Young letter was awful, specious nonsense.

jenks
15-07-2015, 09:33 AM
Ugh, it sounds like a fucking Tesco advert.

I could quite happily go the rest of my life without hearing or reading one more thing described as "Great British". It's invariably something shit.

Part of OFSTED - promotion of British Values - many schools genuinely spending thousands on gurus coming telling them how to demonstrate this to the inspectors. I spent over an hour in a meeting where they seriously debated this - I was asked to stop with my facetious comments.

you
15-07-2015, 09:56 AM
teaching a critical perspective of domestic history would be a good idea
then perhaps the next generation wouldn't potter about so apolitcially wearing keep calm and carry on aprons giggling over pimms and cupcakes and vacuous replicant popstars like ed sheeran

IdleRich
15-07-2015, 10:48 AM
I have become a teacher over the last few years. Recently we've started getting these Prevent guys coming in and telling us how to spot extremism - of any sort but we know what they're on about right? Those meetings always get pretty heated.

you
15-07-2015, 11:34 AM
I have become a teacher over the last few years. Recently we've started getting these Prevent guys coming in and telling us how to spot extremism - of any sort but we know what they're on about right? Those meetings always get pretty heated.

It's your job to spot extremists? I thought the UK employed toffs around westminster for that. Tip - Burzum badges are a dead giveaway.

vimothy
15-07-2015, 11:47 AM
These things should be understood dialectically. The wishy-washy left-liberal tendency that gave us a disparate population without common institutions, and the wishy-washy right-liberals who are ineptly responding to it with farcical admonitions about "British values", are two parts of the same process.

IdleRich
15-07-2015, 12:31 PM
"It's your job to spot extremists? I thought the UK employed toffs around westminster for that. Tip - Burzum badges are a dead giveaway."
Kinda. I don't think there are any though so it's not too onerous. Or maybe that just means I'm not doing my job.

Mr. Tea
15-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Part of OFSTED - promotion of British Values - many schools genuinely spending thousands on gurus coming telling them how to demonstrate this to the inspectors. I spent over an hour in a meeting where they seriously debated this - I was asked to stop with my facetious comments.

Sounds like you deserve a medal for resisting the urge to commit murder and/or suicide, never mind facetious comments.

you
15-07-2015, 01:15 PM
Kinda. I don't think there are any though so it's not too onerous. Or maybe that just means I'm not doing my job.

LOLOL - pretty much sums up the smudged borders of a teacher's job responsibilities.

Mr. Tea
15-07-2015, 01:21 PM
I like the idea of a jackbooted anti-extremism officer, with mad, staring eyes, a very small, neat moustache and a permanent muscle tic under one eye, marching into classrooms and dragging away for compulsory re-education any student (or teacher, for that matter) who looks like they might be at risk of extremism.

you
15-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Tea - I doubt anything so concrete would be put in place. Clear objectives and job responsibilities are not in vogue.

It would more likely be a case of some well meaning and over worked teacher mentioning a student's comments in passing to another teacher in a social context (like over lunch or having a coffee between meetings after school). Then the dominos of gossip would fall at the feet some over ambitious and passive aggressive deputy head or 'manager' who would then pseudo-socially and covertly harangue the teacher into pursuing the reporting of the child. Power aint badges and boots, it is soft skills and emotive pressure.

Mr. Tea
15-07-2015, 01:44 PM
These things should be understood dialectically. The wishy-washy left-liberal tendency that gave us a disparate population without common institutions, and the wishy-washy right-liberals who are ineptly responding to it with farcical admonitions about "British values", are two parts of the same process.

And what's funny is that "tolerance" invariably features high up on the list of these much-vaunted British Values:

For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone...This Government will conclusively turn the page on this failed approach.

We will not tolerate people who will not tolerate our attempts to force them to be tolerant!

droid
15-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Tea - I doubt anything so concrete would be put in place. Clear objectives and job responsibilities are not in vogue.

It would more likely be a case of some well meaning and over worked teacher mentioning a student's comments in passing to another teacher in a social context (like over lunch or having a coffee between meetings after school). Then the dominos of gossip would fall at the feet some over ambitious and passive aggressive deputy head or 'manager' who would then pseudo-socially and covertly harangue the teacher into pursuing the reporting of the child. Power aint badges and boots, it is soft skills and emotive pressure.

I predict extremist quotas within 5 years. If you dont send at least 14 teenagers into internment every year you get your budget cut.

you
15-07-2015, 03:58 PM
I predict extremist quotas within 5 years. If you dont send at least 14 teenagers into internment every year you get your budget cut.

You only see quotas and targets imposed with myopic ruthlessness in the public sector. The education system is deteriorating into constellations of privately funded academies.
I can imagine the opposite of what you say occurring.
A set of private interests will be lead by PR and reputation anxiety to hide major social or religious differences being challenges.

Also - isn't the Prevent Strategy all a bit minority report/thought-crime etc? Extremism itself isn't an offence. Crime such as terrorism is. There is nothing wrong with a belief so long as the kids don't go trudging through the snow burning churches to spread their belief.. y'know... So if Prevent is targetting beliefs then for me it's wrong. If it is targetting crime pre-emptively (based on opinion or subjective observation) then that too is wrong.

droid
15-07-2015, 04:27 PM
You only see quotas and targets imposed with myopic ruthlessness in the public sector. The education system is deteriorating into constellations of privately funded academies.
I can imagine the opposite of what you say occurring.
A set of private interests will be lead by PR and reputation anxiety to hide major social or religious differences being challenges.

Also - isn't the Prevent Strategy all a bit minority report/thought-crime etc? Extremism itself isn't an offence. Crime such as terrorism is. There is nothing wrong with a belief so long as the kids don't go trudging through the snow burning churches to spread their belief.. y'know... So if Prevent is targetting beliefs then for me it's wrong. If it is targetting crime pre-emptively (based on opinion or subjective observation) then that too is wrong.

Yes, it is wrong, deeply wrong, which is why it will happen.

Mr. Tea
15-07-2015, 04:57 PM
I guess the standard argument goes that propagating material that could make other people more likely to commit violence by encouragement, or facilitate their doing so, should in itself be a crime. Which is why it's illegal to sell guns in this country except under certain very strictly controlled circumstances, for instance.

Of course, what constitutes "material that could encourage someone to commit violence" is an incredibly vague and subjective notion, and could just as easily include all sorts of things that no-one would normally consider 'criminal', such as a news story.

Or even someone's face.

you
15-07-2015, 05:08 PM
I guess the standard argument goes that propagating material that could make other people more likely to commit violence by encouragement, or facilitate their doing so, should in itself be a crime. Which is why it's illegal to sell guns in this country except under certain very strictly controlled circumstances, for instance.

Of course, what constitutes "material that could encourage someone to commit violence" is an incredibly vague and subjective notion, and could just as easily include all sorts of things that no-one would normally consider 'criminal', such as a news story.

Or even someone's face.

**starts online petition to remove Leviticus chapter from all UK state schools**

Mr. Tea
15-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Or the central texts of all three Abrahamic faiths, how about that?

droid
15-07-2015, 05:34 PM
Diary of Adrian Mole, Catcher in the rye, The Famous Five...

droid
23-07-2015, 01:49 PM
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/07/stifling-freedom-expression-uk-schools-150721080612049.html

London, UK - Schoolchildren in the UK who express support for Palestine face being questioned by police and referred to a counter-radicalisation programme for youngsters deemed at risk of being drawn into terrorism under new laws requiring teachers to monitor students for extremism.

One schoolboy told Al Jazeera he was accused of holding "terrorist-like" views by a police officer who questioned him for taking leaflets into school promoting a boycott of Israel.

The case reflects concerns raised about the expansion of the government's Preventcounter-extremism strategy into schools, with critics complaining that teachers are being expected to act as the "eyes and ears of the state".

luka
27-06-2016, 10:45 PM
What I was getting at is that if you want democracy you must have an educated electorate that take their responsibilities as citizens seriously. The problem is that the world is now so complicated no one understands it. Nevertheless I think education should be geared towards making citizens, not scientists, doctors, footballers etc

sadmanbarty
27-06-2016, 11:08 PM
I always thought it'd be good (in democratic terms at least) to have compulsory 'Reasoning' (for want of a better phrase) lessons.

Nothing too difficult, but combining very rudimentary logic, philosophy of science and statistics.

Students would be taught common logical fallacies, how statistics can be skewered/taken out of context and the principles of evidence-based, rational thought.

Of course this is all pie in the sky, but you can always dream.

jenks
28-06-2016, 09:20 AM
Martin Robinson's Trivium in the 21st C is being heavily praised as a way of delivering some of the above:
https://headguruteacher.com/2014/01/17/trivium-21st-c-could-this-be-the-answer

Other methods/models which are currently be tried are the Michaela school and School 21, both free schools with wildly differing ideas. I'm not endorsing either but there are plenty of people out there trying to grapple with the idea of what school/education is for.
https://school21.org.uk/21st-century-approach
http://mcsbrent.co.uk/ethos/

rubberdingyrapids
28-06-2016, 09:30 AM
they should teach -

emotional intelligence
money
politics

firefinga
23-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Doesn't matter what's in the curriculum, main thing is, throw smart phones and tablets at the kids, the sooner the better.

sadmanbarty
04-05-2017, 06:10 PM
This is particularly boring suggestion, but after watching this, it dawned on me how much easier things would be for the left if people were taught about how government debt works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUsWd2OrEkE