PDA

View Full Version : I've just decided to become a fan of The Police

luka
11-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Better late than never. I'm going to get into them starting from today.

luka
11-07-2015, 08:36 PM
The band not the boys in blue

trza
11-07-2015, 08:54 PM
don't stand so close to me

mistersloane
11-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Fuck off.

luka
11-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Great thread so far.

Leo
12-07-2015, 01:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gofxcp2ta6A

Leo
12-07-2015, 01:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMgkXAug6L0

Leo
12-07-2015, 01:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RbnshwWL-A

luka
12-07-2015, 10:02 AM
I was watching sounds of the 70s on Yesterday chanell

luka
12-07-2015, 10:05 AM
I caught the last 15 minutes or so
Kraftwerk doing autobahn on tomorrows world was good
Human league was half good half look at this freak wtf
The specials joke band
Madness- not even a joke band just unacceptable
The police- stings 'reggae' vocals are a bit odd but cool my new favourite band
Elvis costello. Ropey this weirdo can't sing

mistersloane
12-07-2015, 11:51 AM
A friend wrote this book on The Police :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Moon-Untold-Story-Police/dp/0470282401

which is really funny because he detests them, detests them and spent years writing it. It's one of the funniest biogs I've ever read for that reason, it's just pure bile aimed at his subject.

mistersloane
12-07-2015, 11:52 AM
The Amazon reviews are hilarious.

luka
12-07-2015, 12:10 PM
What we need to know is
To what extent is your hatred of the police merely generational

luka
12-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Are they objectively shit or do you need to have historical and political context to really hate them properly?

droid
12-07-2015, 08:20 PM
A friend wrote this book on The Police :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Moon-Untold-Story-Police/dp/0470282401

which is really funny because he detests them, detests them and spent years writing it. It's one of the funniest biogs I've ever read for that reason, it's just pure bile aimed at his subject.

lol. Sounds brill. I want to read it.

droid
12-07-2015, 08:29 PM
The last time I encountered Sting it was when I was flicking around TV at a mates gaf on a Saturday night and he was doing some nautically themed musical concert with Jimmy Nail.

IdleRich
12-07-2015, 08:58 PM
The police- stings 'reggae' vocals are a bit odd but cool my new favourite band
Yes, they are a bit odd aren't they? For years I always wondered "why the hell does he sing like that?" and then it clicked and I thought "Oh, I get it, it's much much worse than I ever realised".

trza
12-07-2015, 09:18 PM
What happened to Sting's character after the final scene in that Dune movie?

luka
12-07-2015, 09:31 PM
I can't remember. It's his opening scene which sticks in the mind

luka
12-07-2015, 09:32 PM
But we all 'know' sting is a cunt. I wanted to avoid that and address whether or not the police are underappreciated as a result

luka
12-07-2015, 09:42 PM
To my ears their music is a great deal better than that of their more fashionable and more dour contemporaries eg gang of four

droid
12-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Archetypal white mans reggae.

Liked them for a while in my early teens. Heard walking on the moon recently and was surprised at how incredibly awkward and stiff it was. Wrong, but not wrong on purpose like, say, Wire. Dunno much about their origins but I imagine that they were only ever going to be a transient vehicle for Sting's slightly-better-than-mediocre pop writing abilities.

luka
12-07-2015, 11:55 PM
I'd dispute that characterisation. I've only been a fan since yesterday so I'm not very familiar with their music but surely it's not the sound of a band trying really hard to do reggae vibes mon and falling short.

luka
12-07-2015, 11:56 PM
Equally I'm no muso but I've met a few and they hold the musicianship in high regard, drummer in particular

IdleRich
13-07-2015, 12:09 AM
I thought Sting's character died in a duel with the main guy so nothing would happen to him afterwards?

mistersloane
13-07-2015, 03:53 AM
Are they objectively shit or do you need to have historical and political context to really hate them properly?

De doo doo doo, de dah dah dah, is all I've got to say to you.

droid
13-07-2015, 10:19 AM
De doo doo doo, de dah dah dah, is all I've got to say to you.

/End thread

droid
13-07-2015, 10:23 AM
I'd dispute that characterisation. I've only been a fan since yesterday so I'm not very familiar with their music but surely it's not the sound of a band trying really hard to do reggae vibes mon and falling short.

"In 1979 Regatta De Blanc would be released (the title meaning white reggae)."

"So Lonely" was another song with reggae influence (Sting has said that he took influence for the way the vocals were sung from the Bob Marley song "No Woman, No Cry")"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFkUS1sSoPA...

rubberdingyrapids
13-07-2015, 10:28 AM
i saw a brass band in clapham on the bandstand in the common doing a police medley yesterday (sort of enjoyable on a novelty level).
stewart copeland was a good drummer....
that bruno mars that borrows from beat it and the police at the same time is one of the best modern pop songs.

luka
13-07-2015, 11:10 AM
I'm not saying there's no discernable reggae influence that's facile
I'm saying it's clearly not archetypal white reggae. Adrian sherwood or ace of base maybe, not the police

droid
13-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Nearly all of their hits are reggae with a tinge of rock. Sting repeatedly sings in mock Jamaican accent & cadence. They called their second album 'white reggae'.

I mean FFS, what do they have to do?

luka
13-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Bizzare opinion but you're allowed it

CrowleyHead
13-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Story I read about the Police... They show up to Top Of The Pops or something like that, and find out John & PiL are doing a gig. Now, they're apparently big fans, and they want to ask John if they can collab, he characteristically tells them to fuck off. However, John decides he's not doing the show, blah blah blah... So The Police fill in for PiL for the miming of their song.

I get that their appropriation of reggae is clammy handed and a bit lame, but they don't actively replay reggae. Its indebted, but its not wholesale copying.

I have friends who adore Steward Copeland as a drummer. It was cool for hipster/2dopeboyz rappers to namedrop stuff like The Police and Tears For Fears for a minute to say they're 'not like the other ones, they have taste', etc. Wiz specifically was always big on saying he loved the Police.

luka
13-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Max b and French Montana do englishman in new York
Puffy BIG tribute
Probably loads more

Rappers endorsement is no guarantee of quality obviously

Part of why I've decided to be a fan before really digging into the catalogue is that it winds people up and therefore is inherently worthwhile

luka
13-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Whats their hippest balaeric white reggae vibes album? I want to download it illegally

mistersloane
13-07-2015, 07:07 PM
NaH THen you're not talking about the Police, who were shite, except for the drummer and the synth guy who did the intros to Invisible Sun and Synchronicity1. Otherwise just listen to Bob Marley if you're really that deprived.

If you want lovely stuff from that era that isn't "oh you should really listen to Talking Heads, I mean the production by Eno is sooo amazing", then The Feelies were waaaay better than Gang of Four and are probably the musicianship and production you may be seeking, or at least I hope so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI9Z4hb8fbc

But you're not talking about The Police, is it, you're talking about Sting, and his solo career, Dream of the Blue Turtles and all that. You should be wasting your time listening to his solo albums. Dream. Of. The. Blue. Turtles.

luka
13-07-2015, 07:22 PM
You hate James Brown, Prince, Lisa Lisa and cult jam, baby jesus and meadows full of wild flowers in spring
How can I trust anything you say?

droid
13-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Hes right though, if you really want to annoy people you should become a devoted Sting fan and passionately make his case on all available social media and internet channels - especially Youtube.

luka
13-07-2015, 07:34 PM
But stings a cunt

luka
13-07-2015, 07:35 PM
He called his band "the police'

luka
13-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Well suspect

Slothrop
13-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Max b and French Montana do englishman in new York
Puffy BIG tribute
Probably loads more

NWA not so keen, tho.

luka
13-07-2015, 08:16 PM
I like the joke and well done for beating mr tea to the punch. He never lets a pun go begging
https://youtu.be/WI9UI7tlVPQ

Deep balaeric shit
My mate recommend it just now

luka
13-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Definitely the best post punk band by a mile. Also best balaeric white reggae band.

Why are The tastemakers trying to deny then their rightful place in the pantheon?

Slothrop
13-07-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm not saying there's no discernable reggae influence that's facile
I'm saying it's clearly not archetypal white reggae. Adrian sherwood or ace of base maybe, not the police

The Clash?

trza
13-07-2015, 08:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhJK_X9SsZk

luka
13-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Can't see it on the phone Trza what is it in words pls

mistersloane
13-07-2015, 08:54 PM
You hate James Brown, Prince, Lisa Lisa and cult jam, baby jesus and meadows full of wild flowers in spring
How can I trust anything you say?

Because I have good taste. But babe, if you really care, then go Bob Marley. Really.

Go. Bob. Marley. Or Kiss for a Rose or whatever.

If it's that important.

And for the record, I love the little lamb of baby sweet suckling Jesus; but meadows can fuck off.

luka
13-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Bob Marley is not post punk and doesn't provoke irrational fear and loathing so is not a like4like replacement

mistersloane
13-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Bob Marley is not post punk and doesn't provoke irrational fear and loathing so is not a like4like replacement

Doesn't provoke irrational loathing in you maybe. Maybe you never lived next door to a woman who played "Three Little Birds" every year on the first day of Spring like it was a pagan ritual and had to be BEAT DOWN in the musical stakes by Diamanda Galas. Every spring. Don't talk to me about the hate crimes Bob Marley has inflicted on people's lives.

luka
13-07-2015, 09:19 PM
It's true I have not had that experience and a cursory root thru their underwear drawer has revealed a lot more archetypal white reggae than I thought possible but you have to judge musicians by their high points surely

mistersloane
13-07-2015, 09:25 PM
It's true I have not had that experience and a cursory root thru their underwear drawer has revealed a lot more archetypal white reggae than I thought possible but you have to judge musicians by their high points surely

Oh you, with your garage jockstraps, you might not think playing Three Little Birds is a hate crime. But let me tell you, every year, year after year if you hear it's bullshit refrain, every spring on the wakening of the sun over London, good god you would hate Bob Marley with the hatred I hate him, and all of his spawn.

And that includes Sting.

luka
13-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Copeland: 'Synchronicity' is about the overall unconscious that binds us together. If I wear a red tie and you happen to wearing a red tie, it isn't a coincidence, it's because we have this bond that goes beneath the outer surface. Something we can't even measure, but it's there. And that's Psych 101.
Revolver: Sting, you want comment here?
Sting: No, no, I'm a simple man. A simple man in my huge Tuscan villa, so piss off.
https://youtu.be/HsKz1FBPTxc

luka
13-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Sizzla kicked the shit out if beenie man cos beenie man suggested he was bigger than bob. Sizzla actually administered corporal punishment

Leo
13-07-2015, 10:02 PM
how can you like someone who's such a creepy stalker?

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you.

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you.

Oh can't you see
You belong to me?
How my poor heart aches with every step you take.

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you.

Since you've gone I've been lost without a trace.
I dream at night, I can only see your face.
I look around but it's you I can't replace.
I feel so cold, and I long for your embrace.
I keep crying baby, baby, please...

Oh can't you see
You belong to me?
How my poor heart aches with every step you take.

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you.

Every move you make
Every step you take
I'll be watching you...

I'll be watching you

[Background:]
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you.

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you.

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you.

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you.

luka
13-07-2015, 10:09 PM
https://youtu.be/FR2TAdDiOCo
Hip balaeric shit to chill to and reflect

droid
13-07-2015, 10:17 PM
'Dont stand so close to me' is all about resisting the temptation to molest young girls.

luka
13-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Well he was a teacher and he's very highly sexed he can go for hours and hours without getting bored

droid
13-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Could totally see him becoming another Glitter or Saville in a decade or two.

Mr. Tea
13-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Well he was a teacher and he's very highly sexed he can go for hours and hours without getting bored

Yeah but it's "tantric" isn't it, which means you don't cum, I think? Sounds a bit shit IYAM.

luka
14-07-2015, 04:33 PM
He's said to have mastered the mythical male multiple orgasm. He can also orgasm without spurting or even leaking.

droid
14-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Dear god. Just imagine the damage he could do.

Mr. Tea
14-07-2015, 05:09 PM
He's said to have mastered the mythical male multiple orgasm. He can also orgasm without spurting or even leaking.

That sounds terrible. Surely something would eventually just rupture?

Leo
14-07-2015, 05:56 PM
by the sounds of his music, maybe he'd be better off releasing once in a while.

CrowleyHead
15-07-2015, 01:14 PM
I remember someone making fun of his one song with the arabic theme, I can't remember the name, by slowing it down and claiming "UNRELEASED COIL TRACK".

Tbf, Coil would be lucky.

HMGovt
15-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Equally I'm no muso but I've met a few and they hold the musicianship in high regard, drummer in particular

Is there a better drummer than Mani out of stone roses though?

trza
15-07-2015, 02:34 PM
technically lots of things qualify as non penetrative sex, almost everything qualifies.

droid
15-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Im almost afraid to reply to that.

luka
16-07-2015, 08:03 AM
https://youtu.be/5ZPZgxw3drQ

CrowleyHead
16-07-2015, 02:35 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/itN9lSrXHxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mistersloane
16-07-2015, 04:34 PM
There's something wonderful about a thread that confirms suspicions, rather than mollify paranoia; I leave this actually hating this band, properly.

As for his solo career? I'll defend Desert Rose, definitely, although the drum sound is disgusting and I prefer Madonna's "Frozen" way more if we have to go to that level of...stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C3lWwBslWqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mistersloane
16-07-2015, 04:40 PM
And I like the fact that he appears to be the first person who went on that stupid diet that makes everyone who is famous and quite good looking look ancient and like skeletons.

mistersloane
16-07-2015, 04:48 PM
In fact, Sting is a really good example of someone who wasn't good enough to be ascended and replicated by someone resembling them but more talentless (examples of those ascended and replaced with hapless biotics - Adam Ant, Siouxsie Sioux, Madonna, Tinchy Stryder)

droid
16-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Sting has been voted the worst lyricist of all time in a new poll.

"The Police frontman was accused of showing "mountainous pomposity [and] cloying spirituality" after name-dropping Russian novelist Vladimir Nabokov in hit song 'Don't Stand So Close to Me'.

He was also criticised for quoting a Volvo bumper sticker in 'If You Love Someone Set Them Free' and using lines from Chaucer, Shakespeare and St Augustine in other lyrics.

The 56-year-old beat Rush drummer Neil Peart, Creed singer Scott Stapp and Oasis star Noel Gallagher to the top spot in the poll by Blender magazine.

Blender said Gallagher "seemed incapable of following a metaphor through a single line, let alone a whole verse"."

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_02/stinglyricGPX0910_458x555.jpg

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a77411/sting-voted-worst-lyricist-of-all-time.html

bruno
16-07-2015, 06:30 PM
i don't understand the bile in this thread, they weren't great but there are much worse things like the cure and talking heads that are absolute shit and no-one questions.

the police album covers were rather good, before hearing the music i thought the one with chinese characters (?) and another with a triangle were striking and kind of futuristic. the music seemed dated and not as good as the artwork (all this through my ten year-old eyes). re: sting, he was a fave of my cousin who had light jazz sensibilities and dressed impeccably, inevitably i had a couple of lps that i disowned as i entered adolescence.

my twelve year-old self however appreciated these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtaJOLnd8gY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTgDb_Oj10E

bruno
16-07-2015, 06:40 PM
the un-centred nothing like the sun (why did they not align to the photo?), the crushed loop of the letter g and the size of the name beside the photo bother me more than the music.

trza
16-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Back in the day when sample based hip-hop was king and puff daddy was puff daddy forever he got tired of shelling out six figure checks for master fees and decided to strike up deals with the artists he wanted to sample. The end result was puff daddy agreed with Sting to pay him royalties for that one song in exchange for a lower master fee or something, plus puffy "gave" him a remix to Roxanne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1lLnPNwbWI
what a totall clunker of a nineties rap remake.

luka
16-07-2015, 07:38 PM
The bile is instructive Bruno. It is the reason I started the thread.

luka
16-07-2015, 07:45 PM
It's an inheritance

bruno
16-07-2015, 08:19 PM
oh yeah, i suppose i don't get as worked up about this stuff because i have made terrible musical mistakes in life. i had whitney houston records for christs sake.

i did agree with your sounds of the 70s musing as i had a similar reaction to these groups, previously i could not stand the human league but now find them not half bad, even human is cool and i vaguely remember liking that without knowing who it was. never understood why people liked madness etc.

i do remember feeling intense repulsion on hearing soul cages and thinking how on earth could i have liked this, but that was long after i had dispensed with sting. hearing the above reminds me though that however shit the music there is at least something there, which explains why a parasite like puffy needs it to sustain an otherwse empty music/video..

bruno
16-07-2015, 08:44 PM
But you're not talking about The Police, is it, you're talking about Sting, and his solo career, Dream of the Blue Turtles and all that. You should be wasting your time listening to his solo albums. Dream. Of. The. Blue. Turtles.
nothing like the sun was better than blue turtles, more cohesive in a pop sense and less derivative of other styles (calypso/world music, marsalis' standard jazz, etc.). englishman is annoying but so are half the songs on blue turtles, plus little wing is a decent update of hendrix' original. (i am channeling my inner bateman here)

john eden
17-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Fuck The Police.

droid
17-07-2015, 10:02 AM
i don't understand the bile in this thread, they weren't great but there are much worse things like the cure and talking heads that are absolute shit and no-one questions.

Despite Luka's protestations,I think if we're going to compare the Police to anything it should be their UK contemporaries who also took reggae as an influence, so we have the likes of The Clash, PIL, The Slits, Basement 5, Killing Joke, early Stranglers etc..., and of course the two-tone/ska movement... which is where I think you find the most suitable comparison:

Madness.

john eden
17-07-2015, 10:07 AM
Although I guess there are these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AG6ubkSIn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBv_6mDZemI

john eden
17-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Skank Blog Bologna has a lot of post punk dub/reggae stuff:
https://skankblogbologna.wordpress.com/

Which is generally to be applauded, obviously.

john eden
17-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Maybe a key question here is:

Why are The Police's crimes against reggae worse than those by The Clash?

droid
17-07-2015, 10:16 AM
lol. Now we're getting somewhere. May the court rise!

I think the fairest way to judge it is on terms of genuine engagement. I never knew about this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyh76HeAGVE

droid
17-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Although TBF, in the overall category of C.A.R. it must be said they are minor, but persistent offenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYdEZuCgvw

luka
17-07-2015, 10:32 AM
The police Are many times better than the specials, madness and especially the clash. The clash are the pits

luka
17-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Pil are shit too
Another novelty band with no songs

luka
17-07-2015, 10:36 AM
The police are the only post punk band with any credibility

droid
17-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Cmon, you've done well with this thread, dont over-egg it now.

luka
17-07-2015, 10:38 AM
And even the police only got about 3 good songs. Terrible era of music. Only reggae and r&b credible at this time

IdleRich
17-07-2015, 11:34 AM
No-one has mentioned Sting's wife, I thought that it was customary when discussing him to slag her off and talk about her flying over a hairdresser despite being an environmental campaigner etc etc This debate has stayed out of that particular gutter for some reason.

CrowleyHead
17-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I linked the doc to prove that Jazz Musicians are all scum. That pianist needed to be drowned somewhere, god.

But honestly, I'll pick up the defense of The Cure. Siouxsie & The Banshees had one good song, so they definitely fall behind The Cure. Madonna is infinitely better than Sting.

droid
17-07-2015, 02:27 PM
I linked the doc to prove that Jazz Musicians are all scum. That pianist needed to be drowned somewhere, god.

But honestly, I'll pick up the defense of The Cure. Siouxsie & The Banshees had one good song, so they definitely fall behind The Cure. Madonna is infinitely better than Sting.

I think a defence is unnecessary. 17 seconds, Faith, Pornography.

john eden
17-07-2015, 02:48 PM
When I went out for lunch today there was a man wearing a faded Police t-shirt. What have you done, Luka, what have you done...

luka
17-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Heh hehe... I don't mind you and sloane hating the police cos you are both 45

luka
17-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Into the light is siouxsie only song but in all honesty it's a really really good song

john eden
17-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Heh hehe... I don't mind you and sloane hating the police cos you are both 45

I don't even hate them, really. I would have been about 10 when they were on the radio and top of the pops all the time. So I wasn't fighting the punks wars or anything.

You'd need to be about 50 for it to mean anything.

I've had some good discussions with people my age where I defend Stock Aitken and Waterman to people who think they still have to prove themselves by liking jangly indie music or The Levellers though.

droid
17-07-2015, 03:15 PM
The Levellers

Yknow, id gotten to the point where I can honestly say that id forgotten they existed.

Thanks John.

john eden
17-07-2015, 03:18 PM
I mean, y'know I'm a middle aged middle class white man with a family and a job and a mortgage.

I've really got nothing to prove.

When I talk to people in their thirties where I work we've never heard of the music each other likes and we're never that bothered about it to send each other links or do CDs or whatever.

I mainly can't understand people in their 20s - and they avoid me anyway. :D

Virtually nobody gives a shit about my Maurizio Bianchi LPs or ragga sevens and that's the way it should be.

john eden
17-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Yknow, id gotten to the point where I can honestly say that id forgotten they existed.

Thanks John.

Never Forget - The Levellers: A Warning From History.

CrowleyHead
17-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Into the light is siouxsie only song but in all honesty it's a really really good song

I was gonna say Happy House actually, but I'm youtubing that right now and this def. goes.

luka
17-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Need to YouTube happy house when I get home then

baboon2004
17-07-2015, 05:39 PM
hong kong garden isn't bad - er, dubious lyrics now i've actually listened to them

happy house i liked the sample more than the original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ex38L8xtNI

bruno
18-07-2015, 12:18 AM
Virtually nobody gives a shit about my Maurizio Bianchi LPs
except sellers on discogs who charge 500 for his stuff!

bruno
18-07-2015, 12:38 AM
Despite Luka's protestations,I think if we're going to compare the Police to anything it should be their UK contemporaries who also took reggae as an influence, so we have the likes of The Clash, PIL, The Slits, Basement 5, Killing Joke, early Stranglers etc..., and of course the two-tone/ska movement... which is where I think you find the most suitable comparison:

Madness.
i was going to say the clash but thought they had some following here because of the reggae angle, i'm relieved that is not the case.

mistersloane
20-07-2015, 04:15 AM
I don't listen to Siouxsie or anything but I always liked this one :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6DI9LoylFqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

luka
20-07-2015, 08:14 AM
The Clash?!?!?!? They made scintillating reggae!!! Bankrobber? Armagideon Time? These are monster reggae tracks!!!!! Even their reggae that's very scrapey and punky works better than lots of 'pure' JA reggae, for my money. ― Daniel, Friday, 9 November 2001 01:00 (13 years ago)

I don't think anyone should be criticizing the Clash... Reggae would not have the audience it does if not for the Clash.
― Dave225, Friday, 9 November 2001 01:00 (13 years ago) Permalink

john eden
20-07-2015, 11:28 AM
I love pretty much all the Clash's reggae stuff. That gangboss tune is fantastic. Their version of Police And Thieves was radiant. Also their version of Armagideon time. One More Time and One More Dub off Sandinista are as good as anything Mikey Dread has ever produced -- and there's Rockers Galore too.

Oh, and [stands up, squares up] I like the Police a lot too. It's not purist, its bastardised, and all the better for it.

Another great white reggae tune -- World Domination Enterprises, Jah Jah is Calling.

jenks
21-07-2015, 11:47 AM
You want white reggae:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWxdGJR_foY

Mr. Tea
21-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Isn't Bob Marley pretty much about as white as reggae gets? Whenyouthinkaboutit.

CrowleyHead
21-07-2015, 07:14 PM
No.

bruno
22-07-2015, 12:37 AM
for me it's bandulu, techno+dub is a perfect combination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_oYOM00iIU

droid
22-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Isn't Bob Marley pretty much about as white as reggae gets? Whenyouthinkaboutit.

Ive been holding this one back... the holy grail of white reggae.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5chDIsV21o

subvert47
22-07-2015, 12:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jOqOlETcRU

trza
22-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Seeing Super Catt in the Sugar Ray video back in '97 started my life long love affair with island music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUtnwcv-quE

CrowleyHead
22-07-2015, 03:24 PM
One of the most peculiar crossovers into pop conscious ever.

You know what's a surprising pop hit in America, played at BBQs and all that?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_DIU2PvHs5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Tea
22-07-2015, 03:55 PM
No.

Ha, OK. I was thinking about BM's status as "reggae for people who don't really like reggae", is all.

Does Patrick Bateman like The Police, do you think? I've a feeling he might be quite partial to them.

droid
22-07-2015, 04:16 PM
On the other side - here's a proper reggae artist covering one of the whitest songs of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF1kCf_npnk

trza
22-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Lovin the vibes on these reggae tracks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUFSB2plwzM
Its all about the beats!

trza
23-07-2015, 03:46 AM
Now youtube is giving me new music recommendations based on all this great reggae i have been listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvuVFHTvdaY

Leo
25-07-2015, 11:41 PM
i've hesitated to share this, but what the hell. i am in this photo.

http://www.playgroundestudio.com/blog2/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/policecbgb.jpg

droid
25-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Bottom far left? :D

Leo
26-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Bottom far left? :D

sorry droid, i'm too embarrassed to identify my younger self. i'll narrow it down: somewhere under the PA speaker in the middle of the shot.

this was their first US gig, CBGB, 1979. yeah, i'm old as dirt.

luka
26-07-2015, 08:35 AM
you legend!

Lichen
13-08-2015, 02:09 PM
Does Patrick Bateman like The Police, do you think? I've a feeling he might be quite partial to them.
AFAIK Patrick does like The Police, but he prefers Sting's solo work for its high production values and effortless blendingof many different genres.