Rock's Back Pages

craner

Beast of Burden
Is this a bargain, or an annoying rip-off?

I'm occasionally tempted to pay the £55 for 3 months so I can gorge on early Penman and Morley album reviews. But...£55?? I could buy a bunch of books for that.

rubberdingyrapids

i was a member about 10 years ago
wish i did more cut and pasting than i did
cant afford the new price
or wont afford

it looks really tempting though
though the fact its called ROCKs back pages bugs me a bit
id prefer pops back pages
though then no mojo fans would prob bother clicking

craner

Beast of Burden
Expensive, isn't it?

Then you have to factor in all the time and money copying and priniting. I'd have to buy a printer. And paper. A lot of faff and cash.

Then again a Paul Morley album review can really enrich the day.

rubberdingyrapids

i dunno if i have time to really make use of it, though it would be a nice luxury to have just in case

if my work allowed printing i would prob invest

CrowleyHead

It kills me that the first university I was in had a deal with them, as did my second (both community colleges), but my current one does not.

-_-

craner

Beast of Burden
Another annoying thing is that it keeps so much stuff behind a paywall. Presumably some kind of copywrite contract is worked out with the writers?

rubberdingyrapids

must be working though
theyve been going long enough
prob a good example of how paywalls can work for journalism
wonder how many subscribers they have....

rubberdingyrapids

well they do pay journalists, as far as i know
what sort of rate i dont know
but if they dont let you view content without paying, well that means that enough people must be paying to see it, and that they feel no need to tempt you with free articles
the fact theyve been going so long also encourages me to think its working for them (that and the fact the subscription rate is INCREASING rather than falling...)

Woebot

never really been tempted by this - far more appealing surely to buy a grab bag of old NMEs/Rolling Stones/whatever and get the fingerprint of the zeit?