Where do you guys get your news from?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Interested to know - I'm looking primarily for sites with a mix of news and opinion, on the left wing side of things ideally. Anything beyond the obvious major newspapers please

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"Reading" and "watching" the "news" is for chumps. I just have a 24-hour live feed from objective material reality jacked straight into my cerebral cortex. That way I can call everyone I debate with brainwashed, misinformed sheeple, regardless of whether their news source is the BBC, Fox, the Morning Star, Press TV, Al-Jaz, infowars.com or whatever.

[in b4 luka]

Last edited:

griftert

Watching BBC News is like watching a bad parody of a dystopian future world.

I think they should just have a channel to cover all the brutal crime and such like, seeing as it makes up such a large portion of what the news covers. I tend to avoid the news now as I don't want to hear any more about it. There's a tendency in popular culture I find weird and prurient.

Also, I don't like seeing snuff movies and that seems to be standard fair these days*

*as long as they're not white people.

If anything really important is happening I can find out about it later on when people have a better idea of what actually went on. 'Scary man do somefing somewhere' is not useful information for me I don't think.

I would read the Guardian but I haven't been looking so much recently and I'm glad of it. It's almost all absolute nonsense. Journalism as a real, purposeful profession basically doesn't exist any more.

Last edited:

trza

Its important to only pay attention to sources of news that you agree with. Build a list of people to follow who all have the same worldview as yourself. Make the internet your happy place. Then get upset when someone shares something that makes you unhappy.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Its important to only pay attention to sources of news that you agree with. Build a list of people to follow who all have the same worldview as yourself. Make the internet your happy place. Then get upset when someone shares something that makes you unhappy.

obvs not this way of consuming news, but on the other hand there is a limit to how much mainstream media shite one can tolerate, especially on issues that involve, y'know, critiquing systems of power and other such complex stuff. It's important to be inspired sometimes as well as outraged.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I would read the Guardian but I haven't been looking so much recently and I'm glad of it. It's almost all absolute nonsense. Journalism as a real, purposeful profession basically doesn't exist any more.

I know what you're saying, but would have to disagree with the conclusion, at least in one interpretation of it. There are definitely lots of great journalists out there, and journalism is evolving with technology (eg Bellingcat and the 'new' citizen journalism - it's not business as usual); it's just that most of these people are surviving on a pittance because the major papers are run by risk-averse editors who would rather ambulance-chase (in the global scheme of things, publish only hashtag stories, with as much blood and as little real explanation as possible). Great journalism still exists as a profession, but an under-resourced and brutal one, I think.

http://www.cjr.org/feature/womans_work.php whatever you think of her and the piece, it's an interesting takedown of the profession as it stands.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Watching BBC News is like watching a bad parody of a dystopian future world.

I think they should just have a channel to cover all the brutal crime and such like, seeing as it makes up such a large portion of what the news covers. I tend to avoid the news now as I don't want to hear any more about it. There's a tendency in popular culture I find weird and prurient.

Also, I don't like seeing snuff movies and that seems to be standard fair these days*

*as long as they're not white people.

def agree with all this

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
is she talking about the Guardian editor in the piece? ( She certainly posted a fair few pieces for them from Syria) not sure if their identity is common knowledge or not

ok just checked - she worked less than i thought for the guardian

craner

Beast of Burden
I thought it was an Italian editor. I don't know that much about her, I just remember being startled by the article. It took me a while to find it again, I was having to do Google searches with words like "Syria" "freelance" "Italian" "woman" "danger" and that sort of thing. To think I could have just followed your link!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the righteous path is often in front of one's eyes, or something

the article startled me too - rare to see someone being so honest, especially in a professional context, I think. The editor doesn't come off well, and neither does Clara. And what follows is pretty eye-opening.

Though my girlfriend was less impressed, as her father was involved in a very similar field as Borri - she's heard a lot of the bravado (disguised bravado, but bravado nonetheless) too often before.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, I guess you have to factor in a lot of self-promotion with these guys, there is as much egoism as altruism in their psychological make-up.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
really difficult to tell. but one thing's for sure - international journalists can (in all but extreme circumstances) leave the region of danger, whereas the people they're writing about usually can't. also depends on who else in the person's life as well - if there's no-one dependent upon them, then it's more straightforward