Thread for Drake

rubberdingyrapids

just as he seems to be taking over other threads a bit too much.

i dont care for his forced swearing/attempts at playing a hardman, but im not really bothered if he has a ghostwriter, or if he didnt pay his dues... i think people who suggest that have other reasons to hate drake, but are just using those as easy targets to get at him.

i also dont get those who hate him for being 'emo' or 'soft'. not because he isn't those things, but maybe rap could benefit from finding this less threatening. i also just like anyone who disrupts rap's status quo on those things, even if his last mixtape was a case of awkward/attempted image correction.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I dunno, the only thread that he was taking over that he didn't belong in (but only arguably) was the 'name artists you've never heard and never will' thread. He DEFINITELY belongs in 'Hip-Hop culture wars'. And some interesting (to me) discussion about him has taken place in that and the "Hip Hop 2015" thread, too.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was toying with the idea of making this thread and calling it "post pictures of Drake looking ridiculous", just to annoy ILX.

drake-10.15.2013.jpg

This is a favourite of mine. The bit lip. Textbook.

drake123-300x300.jpg

Started from the biceps now we here

drake.png

You gon fuck around and make me catch a body like that

luka

You talk about this a lot corpse but you do get such a strong sense of teenager in front of the mirror with this man. No star quality at all. He's the Chris Needham of rap&r&b

rubberdingyrapids

i always thought drake was like the richer, more mainstream, answer to all those rappers like slug and sage francis, except they sort of revel in their ostensible nerd-dom, while drake tries to play cooler

CrowleyHead

lol, that's v. off.

I mean... Drake's trajectory is interesting as he's the first rapper to want to unify North America. Probably because he's not from the US and Toronto has no sound of its own??? For a while, who were the biggest stars, Kardinal Official and Saukrates, right?

So he's one of the first rappers who doesn't have regional hang-ups of how he wants to sound. He can do 'southern' records, or 'hyphy'/'ratchet' records or stuff with an NYC feel. His Canadianness is kind of what makes him detached.

Corpse mentioned "Best I Ever Had" which is such an obviously massive hit, man I was SICK when I hear that song. We'd been slowly evolving into this pop-rap mess via the whole 2DopeBoyz field of hipster rappers... Wale, BOB, Wiz, The Cool Kids, and so on. And then here came the most blatantly undeniable song yet. Kid was the antichrist. I immediately called "That's it, rap is over, this is going to be the lynchpin." and much to my chagrin as I fell out of enthusiasm with him its stayed that way.

I'd missed earlier Drake b/c I'd seen Degrassi and kid star music usually never works out. But stuff like this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_Ohkid-zYAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pretty undeniable in its solidity. Its funny because Drake is known for being a fan of things as disparate as Little Brother/Slum Village as well as Screwed Up Clique and after him that became the norm for a rapper to try and blend aesthetics. Obviously HE is able to do it without consequence as opposed to an ASAP Rocky because he doesn't 'owe' NY anything, nor the south. And that's led to his sort of global grab-bag of aesthetics where he borrows from Popcaan, from grime, from whomever in the world. He's a noted fan of Sneakbo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/twNV2ItVBcY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So objectively its things like that about Drake that fascinate me, but also turn me off, because then he gets very greedy and usery about people's buzzes. Drake will latch on right as the buzz is peak, as he did with Keef, Migos and others, but once that buzz runs out *ghost*.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
So objectively its things like that about Drake that fascinate me, but also turn me off, because then he gets very greedy and usery about people's buzzes. Drake will latch on right as the buzz is peak, as he did with Keef, Migos and others, but once that buzz runs out *ghost*.

I know it seems like that, watching it, but when you're in that zone, time moves very fast. What we see as latching on, he'll have taken on board, consumed, got bored with and moved, before we even see him/them being involved with it. It just makes him a famous, voracious pop star. Or a vampire, one of the two.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I don't mind commenting about Drake on other threads, but after writing the above, I projectile vomited, so for my health I can't contribute further to a dedicated thread, cos I think the two were connected.

Did you know Kylie did the soundtrack for a Quay Brothers film? She gets about, doesn't she.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

I know it seems like that, watching it, but when you're in that zone, time moves very fast. What we see as latching on, he'll have taken on board, consumed, got bored with and moved, before we even see him/them being involved with it. It just makes him a famous, voracious pop star. Or a vampire, one of the two.

also, who doesnt move on to new things? it might not be vampire-ish. it might just be finding something new. just cos you 'move on', doesnt necessarily mean you didnt really like it at the time.

trza

I don't get why the thirty and forty something guys here would fall for the trap of treating rappers like family members or people who did something to their family. They are rappers, they act immature and they have hits and misses.

He managed to make a decent tune out of that awful jamie xx gil scott-heron album:

CrowleyHead

Yeah, both the Garvey and the Kris ex pieces have been making the rounds... I consider them both inadequate but w/e, the dialog is there now.

I just think there's something really insidious being that Drake's presence breeds a lot of questions about how people in the diaspora relate to each other. Watching a bunch of UK MCs mock and cajole Meek Mill for not having any content. Because first of all, not true, and second of all, I'm gonna take that from fucking Gracious K!?!?!?

muser

I just realized that a load of people I know in the UK seem to know all the lyrics to most of drakes songs and some younger ones basically grown up with his music. It's kind of baffling and surprising to me that the entirety of his work can be so popular, he's a complete chameleon, no distinctive voice. I like some of his recent stuff as pop songs, but what is it about him that has struck such a chord? How has the biggest rapper of the decade only got one thread with 15 posts on here?

version

Him hopping on drill and trying to adopt the slang's been terrible. Drake saying stuff like "gyal", "waps" and "ting" is just toe curling.

version

He's always reminded me of Donae'o in the sense that they both come off like "cool" youth workers, like someone who'd be rapping at a bible camp or something.

muser

Him hopping on drill and trying to adopt the slang's been terrible. Drake saying stuff like "gyal", "waps" and "ting" is just toe curling.

That really is, he has got Jamaican heritage hasn't he? I guess he thinks it gives him a pass but it's still very cringey for m some reason.