Songs about the internet / technology (for school assembly!)

benjybars

village elder.
Evenin'

Could do with a bit of help. I'm a primary school teacher and I'm gonna do my class assembly all about technology in general and the internet in particular. In order to pad the assembly out a bit (and to please the parents) I want to fit in at least one song. So yeah, any suggestions?? Needs to be suitable for a primary school environment!

Any ideas hugely appreciated :)

luka

Play the Free App of the Day
"Dot Com"

[VRS1:]
Ooh, I love the way you dirty type
I can take you home on escape
Ooh, I need your backspace in my life
Thank God you don’t have a flat screen

[VAMP:]
Please, baby I got to see you
And I really wanna please you
So get on my laptop so I can download

[HOOK:]
Online, I love the way you log on
We can do it all night
I’ll make you dot com

Baby, if you sign on
I'ma make you light up
Ooh, Baby, if you log on
I’ll make you dot com

[VRS2:]
I wanted to link up with you, baby at first sight
With you I get to use my f keys
I can’t wait to give you mega bytes
I got all the memory you’ll need
Let my fingers do the talking

So get on my laptop so I can download

We can do it all night
I’ll make you dot com

Baby, if you sign on
I'ma make you light up
Ooh, Baby, if you log on
I’ll make you dot com

[BRIDGE:]
Ooh, baby you want this I know
I can’t wait to give you my hard drive
My moonlight
If It’s alright, baby

I’m always at your window
Ready to shift and control you
If you want me to
Say yes, baby
Say yes, baby
Say yes, baby
Say yes, baby
Got to say, ooh

Say yes, baby
Say yes, baby
You got to say yes,
Yes

So get on me baby, get up on me, oh

We can do it all night
I’ll make you dot com

Baby, if you sign on
I'ma make you light up
Ooh, Baby, if you log on
I’ll make you dot com

CrowleyHead

The Kate Bush one. Make sure to show the depressing video so you get one kid crying. Kids crying will scare most the parents, but endear you to like, three or four hardnosed dads.

crofton

Busy Signal #Textmessage sadly might not pass the parental advisory test but would surely prove popular.

nomos

Administrator

tablet, sci-fi, a fast connection, unlimited wi-fi, jet ski, armbands, hair gel, sun tan, email, online, surf the web in record time, air tank, boat ride, wet suit, low tide, tablet, sci-fi, a fast connection, unlimited wi-fi, jet ski, armbands, hair gel, sun tan, email, online, surf the web in record time, air tank, boat ride, wet suit, low tide, tablet, sci-fi, a fast connection, unlimited wi-fi, jet ski, armbands, hair gel, sun tan, email, online, surfair tank, boat ride, wet suit, low tide, tablet, sci-fi, a fast connection, unlimited wi-fi, jet ski, armbands, hair gel, sun tan, email, online, surf the web in record time, air tank, boat ride, wet suit, low tide, tablet, sci-fi, a fast connection, unlimited wi-fi, jet ski, armbands, hair gel, sun tan, email, online, surf the web in record time

benjybars

village elder.
Thanks for all the suggestions! All massively inappropriate but appreciate the input :)

I thought I'd found the perfect song but then it goes and includes the lyric "god kills a kitten every time he sees you masturbate"... bit early in the term for that I reckon..

benjybars

village elder.
UPDATE - had a breakthrough today! Realised that the best segue-way into doing a song in an assembly about the internet is to talk about the way the internet has changed music consumption, youtube, spotify, downloads etc.. then that way I can legitimately use pretty much any popular song from the last couple of years. :)

I need something with a general "you're amazing and have inner strength and can do anything with your life if you put your mind to it" kind of vibe..

Thinking maybe Rihanna - Diamonds?
Any other suggestions

trza

Okay a couple days late and I tried to remember the 2-step garage song with the word "logon" then I found the song and I can't tell if its about the internet

CrowleyHead

UPDATE - had a breakthrough today! Realised that the best segue-way into doing a song in an assembly about the internet is to talk about the way the internet has changed music consumption, youtube, spotify, downloads etc.. then that way I can legitimately use pretty much any popular song from the last couple of years. :)

I need something with a general "you're amazing and have inner strength and can do anything with your life if you put your mind to it" kind of vibe..

Thinking maybe Rihanna - Diamonds?
Any other suggestions

Do the goofy Katy Perry "Roar" song I guess, or one of these Jess Glynne pop songs if ya wanna be semi-nuumy.

benjybars

village elder.
Do the goofy Katy Perry "Roar" song I guess, or one of these Jess Glynne pop songs if ya wanna be semi-nuumy.

I just cannot bring myself to use a Katy Perry song in one of my assemblies.

Jess Glynne is a good call though.

This could definitely work (although in YouTube terms it hasn't had THAT many views.. and I did use it as backing track in my last assembly but that's less of a problem)

Also, did you know that Gangnam Style is the most viewed YouTube video and has DOUBLE the number of views as the video in 2nd place?!

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Okay a couple days late and I tried to remember the 2-step garage song with the word "logon" then I found the song and I can't tell if its about the internet

It's about replicating the following dance to beat up homosexuals:

nomos

Administrator

KP 'Firework' does this in spades

Jess Glynne 'Don't Be So Hard on Yourself Though'

nomos

Administrator
I just cannot bring myself to use a Katy Perry song in one of my assemblies.

Katy Perry – 'Firework'
(2010)

I know you, she tells us. You feel downtrodden and overlooked, but one day – and soon – you're going to shine. In other hands, this soaring, precision-tooled uplift could be cynical, trite, cloying, condescending. But from Perry, I buy it. She may be a rich and beautiful global megastar, but she has a knack for making it seem like she's one of us – one of the ugly, the unsure and the completely invisible. Maybe it's because she's unafraid to appear foolish, or the fact that her voice isn't the strongest. Take, for example, the live version from the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. Much as its lingerie cheesecake presentation is uncomfortable (both politically and, it appears, physically), this is a stunning performance. Perry's voice is just gorgeous here - raw and powerful, lacking the flattering tweaks and glossy sheen of the record. Yes, she struggles to reach the high notes. And some of the low ones. But that just reinforces the lyric. She's not an impossibly perfect vocalist à la Aguilera or Beyoncé. She's talented, but not divine. She's successful, but flawed. She's us. I believe her. And if that belief is strong enough, then maybe one day fireworks will fly out of my tits, too. Matt Evans