PDA

View Full Version : Exhibitions, Art.

luka
30-09-2015, 09:47 PM
I went to the Brion Gysin exhibition. I liked it. They have a working dream machine you can have a go on.

luka
30-09-2015, 09:49 PM
I meant to go to the Joseph Cornell but sadly it coincided with a three week bender. The Daumier the RA put on was the last thing I saw there I think and that was one of the best things I've ever seen anywhere.
Actually I saw the kiefer but found it glib.

luka
30-09-2015, 09:50 PM
And what exhibitions have you seen lately? Would you recommend it? Anything you're looking forward to?

craner
30-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Is this an attempt to get me to rant about contemporary art again? I mean, you could havr just asked. You didn't need to start a new thread.

luka
01-10-2015, 06:13 AM
No, I know that rant, I've got it memorised. It's actually about going to exhibitions

craner
01-10-2015, 08:52 AM
I might have some new bits!

luka
01-10-2015, 09:15 AM
I doubt it. Your intellectual development stalled at the age of about 25. You haven't updated your software since. It's why you couldn't complete the Corbyn essay.

luka
01-10-2015, 09:31 AM
It's why I see Corbyn as a huge opportunity for you. I think it can give your brain a real kickstart

craner
01-10-2015, 09:40 AM
My intellectual development started at the age of 25.

luka
01-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Something has happened you didnt expect and you don't understand. That's great because your brain will have to adapt.

craner
01-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Taylor Parkes wrote a Corbyn essay for me. There was no need.

sufi
01-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Taylor Parkes wrote a Corbyn essay for me. There was no need.
http://thequietus.com/articles/13940-dr-who-anniversary-bbc-taylor-parkes ? Peter Capaldi regenerated from Malcolm Tucker into Jeremy Corbyn?

luka
29-08-2016, 08:12 AM
That detroit techno exhibition was frustrating. A chance to tell some really interesting stories but Instead they just pinned a few 12 inches to the wall and left it at that. Criminal really

luka
18-02-2017, 08:48 AM
http://www.whitechapelgallery.org/events/eduardo-paolozzi-introduction/

I'll go to this. This thread has been a terrible failure.

comelately
18-02-2017, 09:53 AM
I saw the Elton John collection of Man Ray and other photography- it was good fun, but I suspect a bit more middlebrow than what you're after. I like the smaller contained collections within the extension quite a lot, though I was doing the tourist thing with my gf so didn't really get to do my own thing.

Corpsey
18-02-2017, 12:25 PM
http://www.whitechapelgallery.org/events/eduardo-paolozzi-introduction/

I'll go to this. This thread has been a terrible failure.

I like Paolozzi alozzi.

I'm constantly in galleries but it's the conservative old stuff for the most part I'm afraid. I went to see some Rodin drawings and statues at the Courtald the other week, and it was brilliant. His statue of Najinsky the Russian ballerina, which looked like a magical spirit, like a ghost mixed with a meaty Michelangelo torso.

http://www.hayhillgallery.com/rodin/guastini/full/r36g.jpg

Corpsey
18-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Might go and check out the Hockney wherever that is. I like that he left London to live in a land of sundrenched swimming pools, rather as I've never had the courage to.

Went to see the Sistine Chapel last weekend so everything else is bound to look a bit shit for a while, I suppose.

The National Gallery is the best thing about living in London afaic, with the British museum not far behind.

Corpsey
18-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Do you miss weed when you go to galleries? I don't need to be stoned but sometimes it really kicks things up a notch.

Mr. Tea
18-02-2017, 12:51 PM
I hear they've got some pretty edgy stuff at LD50.

luka
18-02-2017, 01:06 PM
To a degree but at the same time going to galleries and museums can trigger a related state of consciousness anyway. Not the same but similar. Which is partly why I go museums and galleries.

luka
21-04-2017, 04:27 PM
i'll probably see the hockney this weekend. anyone seen it yet? corpsey? idelrich maybe?

droid
21-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Fuck Hockney. Just go to the Tate and stare at the Rothkos.

luka
21-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Think the hockney is at tate Britain. I also think hockney is a better and certainly a more interesting painter. I went to the abstract expressionism show at the RA but as my mate said they really suffer from being all hung up together like a load of laundry on a washing line.

droid
21-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Jesus no. Hockney is a graphic designer, Rothko is sublime.

Saw one of his big works in the Pompidou years back. One of the few transcendent experiences Ive ever had in a gallery.

luka
21-04-2017, 10:33 PM
The early LA stuff has a strong graphic element yes but there's many more strings to his bow than that. He's a great painter too.

luka
21-04-2017, 10:39 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTEDHJdh1ns/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTEVTPohcpr/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTKFcyFAifr/

If you prefer the experience of standing in front of a rothko to the experience of standing in front of a hockney well fine, but if you can't see the quality in hockney then probably looking at pictures isn't really your thing. The quality, the technique, the flair, the joy is undeniable.

droid
21-04-2017, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I like the way he went from doing covers for travel brochures to hipster wine bottle labels. :poop:

luka
21-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Don't be churlish.

john eden
22-04-2017, 07:21 AM
I liked the Hockney exhibition a lot. Wasn't fussed about his later stuff done on iPads but the pools and people paintings are fab.

john eden
22-04-2017, 07:24 AM
Obviously the best thing to slag him off for is redoing The Sun logo.

An open goal that Droid missed - disappointing.

luka
22-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Yeah I was waiting for that but I do think he was taking the piss don't you?

john eden
22-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Droid would not joke about the Serious Business of Art.

Corpsey
22-04-2017, 12:41 PM
https://static.artuk.org/w800h800/NG/NG_NG_NG2759.jpg

Every time I go to the National Art Gallery I come across something new (which is actually old) like this. (Georges Michel - 'Stormy Landscape with Ruins on a Plain', after 1830.)

Last week I picked this book up for 30 quid in a second hand store: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metropolitan-Museum-Art-Masterpiece-Paintings/dp/0847846598

I thought I'd wasted my money a bit until last night, when having smoked a joint I leafed happily through it for hours and hours. The reproductions are often quite large, and of such high quality that you can see the brushstrokes/texture. (I know I sound a bit like someone talking about their HD TV here, but a) that can't be helped and b) I love HD TVs.) It's also great because the explanatory notes are segregated from the pictures, so that you can really look at the pictures without worrying about what this bit represents, what school this painter belonged to, etc. And really looking is the hardest part of all AFAIC (just as really listening can be with music, when you're a music nerd.)

Anyway, factors like this allowed me to become really absorbed in the pictures, like when I was a kid looking at a picture book.

I'm in mortal peril now of spending all my money on massive art books that you could conceivably bludgeon a man to death with.

Definitely want to see that Hockney exhibition before it closes. I've never had the religious experience in front of a Rothko that others describe, but I probably haven't been trying hard enough. A little philistine that lives in my head keeps whispering 'it's just some colourful rectangles' in my mind's ear.

luka
22-04-2017, 12:48 PM
The hockney is beyond brilliant super genius.

Corpsey
22-04-2017, 01:08 PM
I like how he paints people swimming underwater

http://www.hockneypictures.com/images/3-works/1-paintings/70/large/pool_2_figures_72_f.jpg

http://www.hockneypictures.com/images/8-etcetera/paper_pools/large/16_78G06.jpg

luka
22-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Droid would not joke about the Serious Business of Art.

Droid would not joke. I meant I'd assumed hockney was taking the piss

Corpsey
22-04-2017, 01:48 PM
https://gq-images.condecdn.net/image/RPk4Glwrkll/crop/810

:crylarf:

If he's not having a laugh, then at least I am.

luka
22-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Hockney invented vapourwave

Corpsey
22-04-2017, 05:54 PM
The Sun's logo SHOULD look like a toddler drew it, actually. Maybe then people would accord it the respect it deserves? The whole thing should be written in crayon. The Mail should be written in shit across Paul Dacre's rubber walls.

luka
12-08-2018, 06:25 PM
i went to both the exhibitions at tate britain. the human all to human one i was not interested in, and as an aside i'd never registered before how catoonish bacon is, the war one was the best thing ive seen in some time. crammed with amazing work. highly recommended.

jenks
14-08-2018, 07:35 PM
i went to both the exhibitions at tate britain. the human all to human one i was not interested in, and as an aside i'd never registered before how catoonish bacon is, the war one was the best thing ive seen in some time. crammed with amazing work. highly recommended.

I went to Aftermath at the Tate today - went with low expectations but like you i was really taken aback by how well curated it was. Some fantastic german prints in there. - definitely worth a trip down Pimlico.

FWIW i enjoyed the All Too Human exhibition - mainly for the three or four artists that i didn't know - I am not a huge Bacon fan - find his work too cold and unaffecting.

Corpsey
27-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Stumbled across this today

http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/prints_of_war_and_peace.aspx

Really love Nevinson's stuff, clearly an incredibly talented artist

It's a very small exhibition, mind you, but free entry and then you've got the rest of the British Museum to go to, which ain't bad (leaving morals aside)

jenks
30-08-2018, 02:29 PM
Stumbled across this today

http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/prints_of_war_and_peace.aspx

Really love Nevinson's stuff, clearly an incredibly talented artist

It's a very small exhibition, mind you, but free entry and then you've got the rest of the British Museum to go to, which ain't bad (leaving morals aside)

Some good Nevinsons in Aftermath - i think he gets overshadowed by some of his peers - Nash, Ravillious, Lewis but when he's good he's really impressive.

Corpsey
23-09-2018, 09:16 PM
I'm in Sevilla, been checking out some paintings. I think Spanish art (pre modern) is not interesting when not gruesome/gothic/full of pitch blacks and browns and blood reds.

An avalanche of kitschy Catholicism out of which juts the jagged jet black peaks of Velasquez and Goya, Zurbaran and El Greco. You don't really realise how good the really great painters were until you see them juxtaposed with the merely very good painters. I mean to say that you see these Carravagio knockoffs, a thousand times better than anything I could ever paint if I practiced my whole life, but still just obviously not on the same level as Caravaggio himself.

The one Goya I've seen here stood out more for its originality of vision, surrounded by stock poses and scenes. However, I do like that you get all these versions of the same Biblical scenes - St Whatshisface in the wilderness, St whosehischops full of arrows etc.

Corpsey
23-09-2018, 09:18 PM
Forgot to say that Murillo was another A1 painter, albeit less interesting than Valesquez, more use of cherubs and so on.

The Zurbarans and Velasquezes in the National gallery are great examples of that weird masochistic gothic aesthetic that appeals so much to modern taste.

Benny B
23-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Youre in sevilla? (Thats where I live). What you think of the city? How you dealing with the heat? Its been in the high 30s all this week still, cant wait for autumn to kick in now.

Dont think ive been to any art galleries in the 7 years I've lived here, didn't even know there any goyas here tbh! Madrid is the place to go for art, obviously.

Benny B
23-09-2018, 10:24 PM
Did you go to this books and music festival this weekend? Couldnt go cos of work but apparently it was pretty cool.

https://www.andalunet.com/festival-bookstock-tres-dias-libros-musica-sevilla/

Corpsey
24-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Ah, lucky you! Shame I didn't realise, could have hit you up for recommendations for food etc. The heat has been punishing tbh, but I think the city is great. You're probably absolutely right re: Madrid being the place for art. I'm here with my family, so haven't been getting drunk either, which I assume is fun here.

As always embarrassed by my English monolingualism too.

baboon2004
24-09-2018, 10:29 AM
Madrid is the place to go for art, obviously.

God, yes. The El Grecos in the Prado are showstopping. Thyssen-Bornemiza was the one for me though - never seen so much great art from late 19th century/early 20th in one place.

Benny B
24-09-2018, 06:34 PM
The Reina Sofia is great as well. Must admit I found the prado a bit boring cos I'm a philistine when it comes to old paintings (plus horrendous queus to get in), but the black period goyas they've got are amazing.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, corpsey. Sevilla isnt any good for nightclubs but for casual drinking outside on terrazas all year round its sweet.

baboon2004
25-09-2018, 08:40 AM
In complete agreement - large stretches of the Prado were achingly dull. Didn't have any queues though when I went. The El Grecos, Goyas, Boschs and Las Meninas make it worth the price of admission.
Some amazing Spanish and Latin American artists I'd never heard of before at the Reina Sofia. Have to admit to being a bit disappointed by Guernica though...can't manage expectations well enough sometimes.

Corpsey
25-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Paintings like Geurnica have been so widely reproduced that I don't think you can really see them even when they're right in front of you.

Other than stuff like the Sistine Chapel ceiling which just can't be reproduced, especially in a book or on a tea towel.

baboon2004
25-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Yeah, and in my imagination it was much bigger and more imposing.

http://www.museoreinasofia.es/en/collection/artwork/retrato-alberto-lasplaces-portrait-alberto-lasplaces
http://www.museoreinasofia.es/en/collection/artwork/adan-eva-adam-and-eve-0

I loved these

jenks
26-09-2018, 07:12 AM
Things I am looking forward to:

Christian Marclay's The Clock at Tate Mod

The Assyrians at the British Museum.

luka
26-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Paintings like Geurnica have been so widely reproduced that I don't think you can really see them even when they're right in front of you.

Other than stuff like the Sistine Chapel ceiling which just can't be reproduced, especially in a book or on a tea towel.

youve already seen them under optimal conditions. the intersection of you and image is where the magic happens. how can a meeting in a crowded gallery, sober, distracted, compete with solitary, possibly stoned, communion? it's almost impossible unless there is a particularly fortuitous conjunction of events.

Corpsey
26-09-2018, 12:31 PM
youve already seen them under optimal conditions. the intersection of you and image is where the magic happens. how can a meeting in a crowded gallery, sober, distracted, compete with solitary, possibly stoned, communion? it's almost impossible unless there is a particularly fortuitous conjunction of events.

Depends on the painting and the presentation of it, really.

Some paintings need to be seen full sized, full textured, etc., but sometimes paintings are so badly lit that you're better off looking in a book.

Re: going to galleries sober - I try not to :cool:

luka
26-09-2018, 12:49 PM
sure, and things like van goughs have a textural quality the page cant capture, but the point still stands

luka
26-09-2018, 12:51 PM
in the flesh its the same image with greater degree of granularity. its like hearing the same song on different sound systems. sometimes it can be revelatory. but you always understand it even at low bit rates

Mr. Tea
26-09-2018, 12:53 PM
The Prado is worth a visit for this painting of OG Tyrion Lannister, if nothing else:

Mr. Tea
26-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Not to mention grumpy Roman Paul Merton:

luka
26-09-2018, 01:23 PM
i think it's an interesting thing to think about. you'd think there would be a point past which it stops working but im not so sure. i remember being played a record from the ussr made on an x-ray
and it was really just the ghost of a song in amongst the haunted background noise and yet it was magical and thrilling. part of that was context of course, but at the same time, a voice comes through, it talks to you.

at the other end of the spectrum any increase in fidelity is psychedelic and almost overwhelming at the point at which it occurs but once it becomes the new norm that new level of detail no longer registers. im familiar with the effect as im always losing or breaking my glasses. so i go back and forth between low resolution and high resolution fairly frequently.

mistersloane
26-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Too many people don't go to galleries on hallucinogenics.

baboon2004
26-09-2018, 06:20 PM
And too many people go to take photos of the pictures. I mean, this is almost worse than putting your phone up at a gig. Google exists?

Corpsey's point about lighting is a good one - with all that money, so many galleries flunk the basics.

luka
26-09-2018, 07:23 PM
Too many people don't go to galleries on hallucinogenics.

i was really going off tate modern anyway but going on acid confirmed it. it was rubbish. vapid. tedtalk culture-bites.

luka
26-09-2018, 08:32 PM
Hockney invented vapourwave

very important post. posterity will furnish me with the garlands the present is denying me.

Corpsey
27-09-2018, 09:43 AM
i was really going off tate modern anyway but going on acid confirmed it. it was rubbish. vapid. tedtalk culture-bites.

Conceptual art is something to consider in relation to what we were talking about last night - because it's not really about material at all. The material is just a signpost for the concept (in much of that stuff).

luka
27-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Conceptual art is something to consider in relation to what we were talking about last night - because it's not really about material at all. The material is just a signpost for the concept (in much of that stuff).

im going to do that post now. it will be very clever. it will inspire clever thoughts and insights from everyone on the board. a bonding experience in a shared creation of brilliance. gimmie one sec....

Corpsey
28-09-2018, 01:45 PM
"What a red rag is to a bull, Turner's "Slave Ship" was to me, before I studied art. Mr. Ruskin is educated in art up to a point where that picture throws him into as mad an ecstasy of pleasure as it used to throw me into one of rage, last year, when I was ignorant. His cultivation enables him—and me, now—to see water in that glaring yellow mud, and natural effects in those lurid explosions of mixed smoke and flame, and crimson sunset glories; it reconciles him—and me, now—to the floating of iron cable-chains and other unfloatable things; it reconciles us to fishes swimming around on top of the mud—I mean the water. The most of the picture is a manifest impossibility—that is to say, a lie; and only rigid cultivation can enable a man to find truth in a lie. But it enabled Mr. Ruskin to do it, and it has enabled me to do it, and I am thankful for it. A Boston newspaper reporter went and took a look at the Slave Ship floundering about in that fierce conflagration of reds and yellows, and said it reminded him of a tortoise-shell cat having a fit in a platter of tomatoes. In my then uneducated state, that went home to my non-cultivation, and I thought here is a man with an unobstructed eye. Mr. Ruskin would have said: This person is an ass. That is what I would say, now." - Mark Twain

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/Slave-ship.jpg/1023px-Slave-ship.jpg

I was staring at this last night and I find it really hard to place where the horizon is, what the point of view is, where the sunset begins and ends. I had never even noticed the black of the oncoming typhoon before.

Corpsey
03-10-2018, 10:08 AM
And too many people go to take photos of the pictures. I mean, this is almost worse than putting your phone up at a gig. Google exists?

I take photos at galleries, as a sort of reminder of what I particularly liked or was interested in. I try to append notes to these photos in the moment - zooming in on a particular thing I've noticed, etc.

What interests me is people walking up to a painting, taking a photo and immediately leaving - what they're doing (presumably) is registering that they've seen it, that they've been there, like it's an achievement on a video game.

Actually this extends to people photographing the world. I suppose social media has particularly exacerbated this tendency. I've noticed it a lot when travelling to places like Lisbon and Sevilla, doing touristy stuff.

Our relationship to the visible has changed.

luka
03-10-2018, 10:13 AM
take it to the dematerialisation thread corpsey. if you dont hand your homework in soon youre going on detention.

jenks
03-10-2018, 02:27 PM
I went to The Clock in Tate Mod on Sunday. For those who don't already know it's a 24 hr film in which every shot is from a piece of film which references the exact time - so sitting in the cinema at 10:24 you will see characters at 10:24 in a piece of film. It sounds teeth achingly arch but the accumulative effect is somewhat mesmerising and ideas about time/ real life v film's gesturing at realism/ the codes and conventions and constant awareness of time and time passing/ the pleasure of recognising actors, films or locations/ the attempt to create meaning from disparate fragments/ the sheer mind boggling difficulty of putting it all together...

I'm guessing it will divide opinion here but I'll be going back (at a different time) to carry on watching - for me it does what conceptual art can do well which is to be immersive and for the idea to transcend mere one line cleverness.

Corpsey
03-10-2018, 02:33 PM
I went to The Clock in Tate Mod...

Was that giant sub woofer in the turbine? Think I saw Kode 9 post about it the other day.

Corpsey
03-10-2018, 02:36 PM
i think it's an interesting thing to think about. you'd think there would be a point past which it stops working but im not so sure. i remember being played a record from the ussr made on an x-ray
and it was really just the ghost of a song in amongst the haunted background noise and yet it was magical and thrilling. part of that was context of course, but at the same time, a voice comes through, it talks to you.

I wanted to talk about this in connection with damaged statues and paintings that acquire a different beauty and resonance because of the damage and decay.

In Sevilla I saw a few examples of art that has become more beautiful (to my modern, post-gothic/romantic taste) because it's deteriorated. For example a Velasquez painting in which a praying man's hands have merged into censer smoke, heightening the sense of mystery and ineffability.

Also in some of the marbles in the BritMuseum the fact that the heads and hands have fallen off figures cuts them down to their essentials, so that you can really see how the body has been portrayed most effectively to convey emotion/action/energy.

Corpsey
03-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Seems like I missed an exhibition at Tate Brit in January about ruins

https://www.artfund.org/whats-on/features/ruin-lust-the-allure-of-the-wrecked

Mr. Tea
03-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Also in some of the marbles in the BritMuseum the fact that the heads and hands have fallen off figures cuts them down to their essentials, so that you can really see how the body has been portrayed most effectively to convey emotion/action/energy.

What I find hard to get my head around is that ancient Greek and Roman statues were (at least typically, I think) originally painted. We're so used to seeing them in the cool natural grey of the marble that I can't help but think they'd look incredibly gaudy all coloured in.

Leo
03-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Sarah Lucas retrospective just opened in NYC, actually liked it more than I thought I would. I always found her work to be a bit cliched from a distance but it actually holds up when seen together. Curious how people in the UK view the YBAs today...favorably, or just seen as Saatchi hype? Chris Ofili is great, and always like Richard Patterson.

jenks
04-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Was that giant sub woofer in the turbine? Think I saw Kode 9 post about it the other day.

They were still setting it up - looking forward to seeing/hearing/feeling it

sufi
05-10-2018, 12:57 PM
anyone been to this?
http://www.thelasttuesdaysociety.org/museum-curiosities sounds amazing
leonora carrington
alisdair gray
austin osman spare