"Pure" pop that does chart

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I've seen various comments on members' blogs and on this site about artists like St Etienne and Annie, who are developing some kind of retro, clingfilm wrapped idea of shiny pop bliss. It's been pointed out that while this kind of music sounds "pop", it never has any impact on pop music itself - ie. music in the charts, or music that at least competes to be in the charts.

I heard Kylie's latest when I was out and about the other week and was thinking that maybe she's the exception to prove the rule. At least her more recent stuff, the singles from 'Fever' on. Things like 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' may be a bit too dancefloor for whatever nebulous definition people put around this phenomenon, but stuff like 'Slow', that track with Scissor Sisters and her latest effort all strike me as very much pursuing some kind of idealised pop sound. Kind of retro and super polished, lacking sweat and muscle.

Anyway, just an idle thought.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
Surely Kylie's edge in this is that she was a real semi-disposable Pop star to start with; the context for Can't Get You Out Of My Head is I Should Be So Lucky...

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
since I am idling through. For more Norwegian pop sweetness listen to
Bertine Zetlitz' "Fake Your Beauty" (features the line "Baby baby, bubble gum" - a nod to Annie?)

http://www.bertine.com/

use the top right link "New Album" - I think it has charted in Austria or somewhere though.