Back Catalogue Anomalies

sadmanbarty

Tracks by artists that are surprisingly different from their usual output or the style they've come to be known for.

For example:

Bootsy Collins- Preview Side Too

A far cry from the squelching cartoon funk typically associated with Bootsy.

Black Sabbath- Planet Caravan

The Heavy Metal pioneers offer a cross between Pete Green's 'Heavy Heart' and Velvet Underground's 'Pale Blue Eyes'

The Stooges- We Will Fall

10 minutes of apathetic raga rock from hedonistic proto-punks.

Benny Bunter

surprisingly hard question this!

i reckon artists 'going disco' or 'going funk' could provide a fair few examples, especially rock bands from the 70s, although its quite difficult to think of total one-off tracks. queen, bowie,the stones, the clash, can, macca, etc etc...they all had a go at some point didn't they? opportunistic bandwagon-jumping fads really (see also people having a go at drum n bass in the late 90s)

The first thing I thought of was the smith's barbarism begins at home, but then maybe the draize train is even more of an anomaly (sans moz, the bluesy guitar noodling away in the background). they're obviously still quite smithsy, but i cant think of any other 'funky' smiths song. I'm quite surprised moz lets these through tbh

Leo

yeah, it's less interesting to just post one-offs of bands doing their token "dance track" (like kiss' stab at disco "i was made for loving you"), tons of artists have done that.

fleetwood mac is a crazy one: huge mainstream pop stars who started out playing with lots of long jammy blues numbers (granted, personnel changed along the way).

trza

Sergio Mendes made jazz records in Brazil then he moved to Los Angeles and made bad American pop music and just awful disco pop versions of established songs for a long time. But in the middle of that he made an afrocentric samba and folkloric brazilian music album Primal Roots with an epic 18 minute jazz suite that took up one side of the album:

sadmanbarty

You've reminded me of Mtume, who went from playing percussion on this:

to making this:

That being said, around this time Miles was covering Michael jackson and Cindy lauper:

Here's his cover of David Crosby:

and Minnie Riperton's 'Loving You'

Glacial 718

🍉 🍉 🍉
the secrete Neptunes dancehall riddim that Pharrell may or may not have stolen

the Venetian Snares 10" that sounds like most, but not all, other dubstep records from 2007