Books About the Manchester Scene

dominic

Beast of Burden
With so much discussion in this parts about RIU&SA, what about other books available on amazon.co.uk that are NOT available in the good ole usa

in particular, these books --

(1) dave halsam's "manchester, england" and "not abba: real story of the 1970s" and "rise of superstar djs"

(2) tony wilson, "24-hour party people"

(3) bez, "freaky dancin'"

(4) john warburton & shawn ryder, "hallelujah"

is any of this stuff worth tracking down?

or is it mere exploitation of the manchester mystique?

or even if solid efforts, still not worth the time and money?

DJL

i'm joking
'Freaky Dancing' by Bez is very funny. '24 Hour Party People' by Tony Wilson is alright - is basically the film but with the addition of some truths about some of the events. Haven't read the other two you mention. 'Touching From A Distance' by Deborah Curtis is well worth a read.

3underscore

Manchester, England is a pretty good book. It spends a fair amount of time looking at the City's cultural and political background (something of interest to me as a Mancunian, but possibly not to anyone else.

Wouldn't want to read the Bez book (major pitch - his wife apparently "wrote all the big words") or the 24 Hour party people book. I have heard good things about the Curtis book, but then all were from diehard Joy Division fans.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
24 Hour Party People is basically the film, told in Tony's words, with an added smattering of fact/honesty (but who can tell?) and written REALLY ATROCIOUSLY. I mean, BAD. Thank god he owns a spellchecker, pity it can't improve metaphor, pacing or vocabulary.

DJL

i'm joking
Realised I have read the Hallelujah book as well. That is very funny.
The Bez book is good if you want to find out how someone becomes what Bez is.