Rap 2016

rubberdingyrapids

i want to but dont get the appeal of most the young thug songs ive heard since his first tape. on that one, it was obvious how he was/could be great, as the beats were as different as he was, but since then, i dunno, i find a lot of his beat choices a bit dull (then again, also have to admit i have not heard all the 354345 songs he has released so i am probably missing out a lot)

luka

But if you're serious the only thing I can recommend is getting very high and listening. Smoke some weed take some drugs

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
At the risk of bringing Crowley's wrath down upon me (and of being completely wrong), Id say that liking hip hop is no guarantee of liking Thug, cos what's he's doing is so different from what rap has previously been. Obviously he's part of a general trend for using autotune and sing/rapping but I see no reason why liking Nas or Jay-Z or even Gucci (maybe not even FUTURE) would make him somebody you'd naturally like.

And don't forget, a good number of ppl still absolutely HATE him and think he's a load of incomprehensible shit.

I was sort of locked in from Condo Music and Pikachu, absolutely loved Danny Glover and then the Rich Gang tape ushered in this current incarnation with his sweet melodies and joyfulness mixed with rage.

I'd say if you don't like Givenchy off the Rich Gang tape, say... You just don't like him.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
As for Boosie, he's got real honesty in his lyrics and like 2pac he balances awareness of his own problems with empathy for people from his community. He's a folk singer/hero, essentially.

Saying that I don't think his post jail stuff is the most appealing part of his catalogue. A lot of trap production. I like his older stuff with the more baton roguey production.

His voice is Marmite though.

CrowleyHead

At the risk of bringing Crowley's wrath down upon me (and of being completely wrong), Id say that liking hip hop is no guarantee of liking Thug, cos what's he's doing is so different from what rap has previously been.

I agree with this actually. People who like The Beatles not liking Duran Duran or whatever doesn't shock me, its an evolution of a playing field. Not everything does it for everyone because different things get emphasized. Case in point was the dialog with Luka being very disengaged with the Marci/Ka thing and me being very eager to enjoy it. Much different expectations for age, location, other things I'm probably forgetting.

I will say though I'm a huge Thug fan and I think Givenchy is boring as piss.

rubberdingyrapids

its not that i dont like HIM (its not like ive just come out of some cryogenic freezer ive been in since 1994 wondering why everyone isnt rapping like nas), i just think the songs arent as interesting as things like nigeria or 2 cups stuffed or picacho. actually im prob just not as big a fan as most people are, to really care that much about every single thing he makes, or think its all golden.

rubberdingyrapids

condo music was incredible.

pacifier was good, and not just another lumbering, post-trap (idk what the current style should be called anymore), heavyweight banger. tbh im past the point of liking any rapper just for their voice/lyrics (or just cos they release 50 songs every month). if the beats arent compelling, then i dont really care. and most of the production hes using, from barter 6 to all these new mixtapes, i find it dull and monotonous. i think hes better suited to a weirder, more colourful sort of sound than straight up 808 bangers. i think the other diff is that those 1017 thug songs all had good hooks too (and for me the hooks were a major part of thugs appeal). the new ones just sound like another day in the studio.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

The way he sings ''Flaws'n'all'' on the hook here is completely out of leftfield. Ditto the harmonised hook to 'Halftime'.

It's interesting how the comments under his videos are now generally positive. Perhaps this shows that his music HAS become more conventional since the days of Condo Music and Pikachu?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
disturbing realisation that my line of the year so far is ''I'm bout to fuck the D.A. lady in her mouth, do'''

rubberdingyrapids

gates is alright actually, am listening to islah right now, but its weird cos quite a bit of the stuff ive read on him is about how real and honest he is, but it sounds weirdly contrived to me. like hes trying REALLY hard to sound down to earth and honest, which ends up undoing his gravitas a little bit. kinda like freddie gibbs. i have a slight aversion to these 'look how normal i am' kind of artists. all a bit ed og.