Paul Young's "No Parlez"

Woebot

Could have sworn I heard Paul Young's voice on some advert's music the other day.

And then at the week end I saw this at the MVE:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
evidently a comment on mr Young's position as number 1 in ''the most common record in any charity shop''
chart ... the Christians at number 2 obv...(this chart excludes indiginous easy listening of course)

SMorlighem

Seems like it's this MVE shop (Notting Hill) policy, as I noticed at my last visit a few weeks ago.
This record, I got it in 1983 (tape, offered by my beloved grand aunt, the one with the money to feed my cultural hunger, praise her), when I was into 'New Pop', ahem (12-years old). I remember The Belle Stars' 'Sign of the Times', Spandau Ballet's 'True', Kajagoogoo's 'Too Shy'. Bowie's 'Let's Dance' too. And then I discovered Afrika Bambaataa & the Soul Sonic Force.

12. Sigh.
:(

(f*ck N*stalgia)

blissblogger

!

no kidding the instant i saw you'd started a thread on No Parlez i thought, 'matt's taken a picture of the M&VE'! i was in that branch the other day. i guess it's become the Clam Dip or whatever that Herb Alpert album's called of the 1980s.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
GULP! This was the first album i ever bought. The FIRST! The first one in my collection! Sigh... how much i was old? Also you wont believe but I have sold it some years after....

Woebot

francesco said:
Also you wont believe but I have sold it some years after....

come clean franceso!

morlu said:
the belle stars

i remember that. This is Now Thats What I call Music Vol1 and Vol2 territory. The trajectory of that compilation could equally be bound up with the lifespan and evolution of the New Pop ideal. Remember how the first ones were full of the post-entryist crew. Not so much Heaven 17 and ABC, more Kajagoogoo, Howard Jones and Frankie. What do they look like nowadays?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Ha, you seen the sign above the records which says "please make sure that a copy of No Parlez is placed at the front of the racks at all times".

SMorlighem

The Belle Stars

the_belle_stars_sign_of_the_times.jpg

This is it : I remember now HIGHLY fantasming on this sleeve.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
WOEBOT said:
come clean franceso!

Don't worry the cd-rom copy i have done you should receive soon, so finally i can make big money selling the lp on Ebay!

(I wonder if New Order make more money from royalties from the cover of "Love will tear us apart" on this album than the original Joy Division 12"? Just like Smith with "How soon is now" on the millions selling TaTu CD!)

Rachel Verinder

I saw this as well. I didn't check to see whether they all had the bonus "limited edition" 12" of "Sex," but they usually do. Presumably every donor gets paid the standard minimum one penny for handing in their copy.

Are there are any records which MVE aren't taking at the moment? It used to be Into The Gap by the Thompson Twins, because they had so many copies they couldn't shift, even at 25p a throw, and then for a time it was Be Here Now (and inevitably Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants).

stelfox

Beast of Burden
MIA - Arular

SMorlighem said:
the_belle_stars_sign_of_the_times.jpg

This is it : I remember now HIGHLY fantasming on this sleeve.

i'm not sure i want to know what phantasming means in norwegian...

Last edited: