PDA

View Full Version : Kendrick Lamarr

Woebot
11-03-2016, 09:23 AM
i really liked the mad city one. then...

to pimp a butterfly was horribly naff, coke-addled, tuneless convoluted wank (i didn't like it)

the newer one has many of the same irritations but might be an improvement.

Woebot
11-03-2016, 09:24 AM
can't stand his righteous genius visionary personality.

kanye's righteous genius visionary personality is at least funny.

luka
11-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Probably the worst music being made at the moment. The worst voice, raspy and squeaky at the same time, rapping over weather report.

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Just reviewed the new one for a magazine. I find the more I listen to his newer stuff the more I get out of and like it. It retroactively made me like 'To Pimp...' a lot more, too.

Don't really get the coke-addled thing? I guess you mean it was self-indulgent. From what I gather he's actually more teetotal than anything.

There's this weird friction in his music between musicality (I'm sleep-deprived so can't think of a better word... 'tunefulness' perhaps? :D) and his this extremely cerebral quality. At its best it smuggles this complexity under the radar, cloaked in catchy melodies.

On the whole I prefer his earlier stuff, 'Overly Dedicated' especially ('Opposites Attract', 'Average Joe'...), but I'm glad he's evolved like this, he doesn't really sound like anyone else by this point... He does have a righteous persona, perhaps, but that's rather refreshing when compared to the majority of rappers, with their wilfully ignorant personas. (Many of whom I love, natch.)

Though a very different artist, in many ways he reminds me of Eminem (including the histrionics). He's so talented at 'just' rapping that you get the sense that he's bored of it, Hence all the weird voices, multiple perspectives, dense, often cluttered production.

Benny B
11-03-2016, 09:46 AM
agreed. i did quite like mad city at the time but not been tempted to revisit, thought pimpy-flutterby was borderline unlistenable. you two have already pinpointed the two main problems: annoying 'visionary' personality plus raspy/squeaky voice = yuck

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Probably the worst music being made at the moment. The worst voice, raspy and squeaky at the same time, rapping over weather report.

I actually don't think his 'real' voice is unpleasant, but he tends to do the Eminem thing of putting on silly voices... However, in Kendrick's case, there's usually a point to it.

Chance the Rapper is another matter altogether for me, can't stand his voice - even though it's clearly Kendrick derived.

TBH it doesn't surprise me that you hate him, I can sort of see him being the polar opposite of everything you hold dear :(

Benny B
11-03-2016, 09:54 AM
im not down with all that flylo/thundercat/kamasi washington shit either. I'm guessing dre's involvement as 'executive producer' (whatever that means) on maad city was the reason that album was so much better

Woebot
11-03-2016, 10:02 AM
embarrassing: his yes men laughing to his lame studio skit on untitled 07

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Yeah, that is shit.

Benny B
11-03-2016, 10:16 AM
this is the sort of thing that bothers me:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6509665/kendrick-lamar-to-pimp-a-butterfly-jazz-robert-glasper

'the john coltrane of hip hop' :rolleyes:

Benny B
11-03-2016, 10:19 AM
calling your 3-disc cosmic jazz odysee album "The Epic" ffs...

luka
11-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, green smoothie, yoga on the beach, fretless bass, Billy Cobham, Jaco Pastorius, white linen, jazz school, electronica influences, duality, raspy/squeaky, light/dark, righteous/gangsta

luka
11-03-2016, 10:27 AM
A bitch is a bitch a ho is a ho, I respect you if you respect yourself. Where have all my righteous self respecting women gone?

luka
11-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Weird Friction. Avocado on toast/malt liquor.

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Why does it bother you?

''Terrace is the one who brought me in on the Kendrick project. I was working on stuff for one of his albums, Velvet Portraits.'' LOL

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 10:30 AM
I love your free form criticisms luka, you're the John Coltrane of criticism.

luka
11-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Silken Passage/Tribal Megalopolis/Shanghai Hilton/Ornamental Flute/Neon Ginza/Jazz Ramen/

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 10:33 AM
PREACH!

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 10:34 AM
and yet you're a fan of Giles Peterson, no?

I am prepared to be shot down for equating the jazz Giles plays with the Jazz you're referencing.

While the original Jazz is probably respected on here, it's also essentially the root of all evil as far as dissensus is concerned, isn't it?

luka
11-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Silken Passage/Tribal Megalopolis/Shanghai Hilton/Ornamental Flute/Compton cybernetics/soulfood banquet/collard greens and caviar

luka
11-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Yeah nah, I listened to Gilles every Sunday for a year. He was part of my education. Then suddenly I became allergic. But I wouldn't badmouth him. 'jazz is the teacher'

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 10:41 AM
I really sympathise with this aversion cos there is a horrible smugness and pretentiousness about a lot of jazz and jazz-derived music. The 'Jazz Club' sketches, while traducing jazz, really hit the nail on the head. I think what first really put me off it was Reynolds righteously bashing Bukem/Photek et al for pretending that a trumpet signified depth.

Always used to think that the best thing about jazz was that it got looped and turned into hip-hop beats. An opinion I've become slightly ashamed of but otoh I still think I believe that's true :D e.g. Electrical Relaxation > Mystic Brew...

Woebot
11-03-2016, 10:43 AM
all the exaggerated praise for him has kinda made me feel like a bit like i'm going mad - like there's something wrong with me for not liking it. or maybe that i'm jest getting old!!! :confused:

thank god i'm not alone!

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Having loved your bloggariddims jazz mix, I reckon you're a bit of a jazz authority. So what do you make of the jazz on TPAB and U/U? Half-baked?

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 11:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOkzgjW0B9M

sadmanbarty
11-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Listened to To Pimp A Butterfly a couple of times and thought it was enjoyable, but not particularly remarkable. I think the praise surrounding it is the annoying thing rather then the album itself. Barter 6 was the album that actually deserved the level of praise that To Pimp... received.

I'm sure Luka's pleased to know that I'm a big Mahavishnu fan.

luka
11-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Good on you barty!

luka
11-03-2016, 11:17 AM
To pimp a butterfly is like one of those cravenly oscar soliciting films about a disabled chess genius in 19th century Russia with Ralph Feines gurning in the lead role.

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 11:54 AM
How so?

TBF that film sounds amazing

sadmanbarty
11-03-2016, 12:00 PM
How so?

TBF that film sounds amazing

Possibly because it shamelessly ticks all the boxes the critics want ticked but doesn't actually turn out to be anything worth watching/listening to?

luka
11-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Here you are teacher. Here is my homework. Ive done just as you asked me to. Please have this apple.

Benny B
11-03-2016, 12:15 PM
Where do you lot stand on d'angelo black messiah?

CrowleyHead
11-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Immensely overrated (as such an album was going to be), but he really has been able to try his hand at a bunch of things stylistically and sound competent. Like the first track on the album is essentially pointless, but its so weird to hear a sort of neo-soul attempt at something like grunge (at least that's how I heard it as). Too much of this sort of stuff tends to be a very traditional style, and he shifted it around.

I'm not listening to the new Kendrick until I listen to 5 other rappers this year. Like, he's on the backburner forever for using the word 'jigaboo' for me. There's enough shoddy fucking antiblackness and racial policing in my own racial group, you think I need him providing confirmation because he learned how to do multis?

Plus the last album sucked.

luka
11-03-2016, 12:26 PM
I haven't heard the dangelo and I never will unless I gwt stuck in a lift that has it playing on a loop but then again I haven't ever heard kendrick...

luka
11-03-2016, 12:27 PM
I don't like the grunting and the mumbling like trying to have a conversation with someone who suffers from severe social anxiety

luka
11-03-2016, 12:28 PM
People telling you, he's really great once he gets comfortable around you, but I can't get past the squirming and the averted eyes.

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 12:30 PM
I don't see it as being that contrived. Were critics begging for a jazz-funk odyssey rap album with a cumbersome title?

TBH I think some people react to this stuff in part because of the critical appreciation it gets or they anticipate it will get.

Are all these critics deluded? Are the millions of Kendrick fans retarded?

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Mind you millions of ppl like Adam Sandler so

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 12:33 PM
but then again I haven't ever heard kendrick...

lol

I'm fully into this stance of slagging off music you haven't even heard :D

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Too much of this sort of stuff tends to be a very traditional style, and he shifted it around.

Yeah, it's definitely not that bland soulquarian style. He isn't the typical 'conscious' rapper to me, either. He's more self-doubting than that. Perhaps that appeals to me as somebody who has been called out on here for self-undermining all the time.

I mean tbh half the time it sounds like a complete mess to me and there's something almost anhedonic about it all so I can see why ppl hate it. But I think it's easy to hate what he is perceived as representing and the music itself is a bit more complicated, a bit more multi faceted than that.

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 12:42 PM
My favourite Kendrick tracks

Opposites Attract
Average Joe
Ignorance is Bliss
HiiiPower
Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe
Money Trees
Sing About Me
The Recipe
These Walls
Alright
ADHD
How Much a Dollar Cost

rubberdingyrapids
11-03-2016, 12:55 PM
good kid is the better album. but pimp is just a prog album. like prog rap albums in the 90s. overblown, overstuffed, and all the rest of it. kind of thing someone on quannum might have made.

musically, its a bit old hat. he has a lot of great players on there but its mostly a sort of proggy version of what questlove and co were doing around 2000. which is not such a bad thing, when you consider trap is dominating so much right now, so having thundercat doing ridiculous bass runs all over the place is going against the grain, but even then, i dont really need a reiteration of like water for chocolate, etc.

lyrically/vocally, i would say its worth attention, even if i have not and cant actually be bothered to listen to it (i dont like the sermonising heaviness of it). dissensus doesnt strike me as a particularly rapper-interested place. its more a rap-sonics place. (then again, ive not really been that amazed by his lyrics, i just like *how* he raps - i dont really 'feel' kendrick as a rapper, i just think hes brilliant at it, hes very theatrical, like eminem, but eminem at least made you feel something with his voice)

i do wonder though if a lot of people are put off by it not being esp aggressive (like ice cube or PE for instance), or radical sounding. ie the music, which while being a bit bland at times, is just the kind of thing most rock/pop critics didnt really care that much about in the late 90s/early 00s, def not in the UK.

its also not a 'fun' album like good kid was, but does it have to be?

(FWIW i dont listen to it cos im too old to be preached to)

rubberdingyrapids
11-03-2016, 01:04 PM
its actually amazing to me how such a cerebral, theatrical, not exactly accessible, DIFFICULT rapper is so popular right now. if he had more beats like alright, i think the album would be better.

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 01:13 PM
lyrically/vocally, i would say its worth attention, even if i have not and cant actually be bothered to listen to it

Following the luka listening method, I see.

rubberdingyrapids
11-03-2016, 01:20 PM
i listened to it quite a lot when it came out, but i found it heavy going, like i was listening to a zeitegeisty novel by jonathan franzen or someone, it was so demagoguey, and on top of that, heavy going musically, so i thought i would use the limited headspace i have to listen to other things. i felt i could never just listen to it in chunks, but as a whole thing, which is why i decided to leave it alone. i should give it another listen, as all the hype has died down now.

CrowleyHead
11-03-2016, 01:26 PM
DIFFICULT Funny, is he... difficult?

I think of stuff Noz rushes out of the closet all bags under his eyes and 6 day old crumbs embedded in his shirt, like Divine Styler's Spiral Walls... That's difficult. Kendrick does what other rappers have done, IF you know about them b/c you're a rap nerd and all that.

Even so, Kendrick doesn't make radical breaks to me.

rubberdingyrapids
11-03-2016, 01:33 PM
cmon, in terms of flow, in the league hes in, who else raps like him? last person i think of his stature was eminem (i love how the 'blackest' album of recent memory is by the person who reminds most like eminem). theres lupe obv, but kendrick is a virtuoso MC. or at least, hes the most rappity-rappity-rap rapper in the charts right now. i can name a dozen guys who he reminds me OF, but id never say he was derivative. im not saying hes making some divine styler-type abstract weird-rap masterpiece, but listening to kendrick, the TPAB album at least, is a demanding experience. it requires more than background focus to get something out of it.

rubberdingyrapids
11-03-2016, 01:36 PM
obv young thug is challening too
but more in the adult swim cartoon challenging than great american novel kind of challenging

luka
11-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Kendrick is definitely a virtuoso. In the look what I can do way. Like emimen, freestyle fellowship, pharaoh monch. Young Thug, tech nine and whoever else.
Like John Coltrane in fact lol

luka
11-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Im all for virtuosos. People who can do amazing hacky sack skills or chop and onion really fast with their eyes closed. I think it's amazing.

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Perhaps, ironically, Kendrick and Thug's popularity could be partially put down to people not caring about lyrics so much anymore. I think what Kendrick has going for him in terms of mainstream appeal is his talent for catchy hooks. He definitely has that pop potential, in a weird way, which was obviously more evident on GKMC ('Poetic Justice' with Drake).

Lyrically he's quite exceptional in that his lyrics don't make good quote material. He doesn't do witty punchlines or even quotable 'do the knowledge' style quotes. I've noticed he tends to word things awkwardly (perhaps because, like Eminem, in thrall to rhyme schemes). The complexity of his lyrics, for me, is more detectable when you listen to a whole album of his.

rubberdingyrapids
11-03-2016, 01:47 PM
re: coltrane, im waiting for kendrick to steer rap towards a 'free-rap' phase

kendrick doesnt do the usual rap punchline kind of rapping, he doesnt have obvious quoteables (again, who does these days?, except maybe weezy?), hes about providing a big dense offloading of verbiage. i dont think you could say it wasnt well written/conceptualised though. hes quite self consciously approaching rap lyrics from a higher brow, more literary position. im more impressed by how it all sounds though than what hes saying. hes an incredible performer. a lot of what he does made sense to me when i saw the grammys performance. the whole thing was incredibly paced and staged.

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Im all for virtuosos. People who can do amazing hacky sack skills or chop and onion really fast with their eyes closed. I think it's amazing.

hahhh

maybe his next album will be 'to chop an onion blindfolded'?

droid
11-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Had some limited exposure recently and, like rubberring, am amazed that someone who utilises so many backpacker tropes could be so popular.

rubberdingyrapids
11-03-2016, 01:54 PM
its like blackalicious' revenge

luka
11-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Nah, you had it right with Eminem. Odd Future and Kendrick probably the most obvious Eminem babies. Odd future for Content kendrick for form.

luka
11-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Mind you Eminem owes a massive debt to the '90s undie scene so there's a connection there tbf

rubberdingyrapids
11-03-2016, 02:01 PM
yeah eminem is/was obv a total backpack virtuoso too

but i see kendrick as being like the mainstream figurehead/product of all that underground west coast stuff over the years, solesides, pharcyde, heiroglyphics, etc etc, hes like the culmination of it all, like a superhumanly brilliant product of that lineage

esp delicious/ironic/interesting that its on aftermath, which was obv the flipside of all that stuff

luka
11-03-2016, 02:06 PM
Freestyle Fellowship with the fetishisation of Jazz 🎺

luka
11-03-2016, 02:08 PM
I actually like all that gear. Said on here a few weeks ago West coast is much better than ny for that. Mind you all that was major label.

Corpsey
11-03-2016, 02:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-2ckLBV21g

Actually this has got me wishing he'd make a 'straight' rap album. There are a couple of passages on Untitled/Unmastered where he does this and it does leave you wanting more.

CrowleyHead
11-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Ugh, no, this verse was fucking terrible.

I was complaining about this to someone recently, but Kendrick is the most blatant attention whore when he goes to other people's albums. He insists on dominating the listener's attention and simply works out a way to become a spectacle to himself so that anyone who's so Kendrick leaning a listener will forget about whomever the song was. Its 'fine' if you're a Pusha T or Big Sean, who are making entirely disposable rap songs to begin with under the guise of being 'artistic' in quality because Kanye spends money on art design that your average record label might, but if you're YG or someone, you think you're getting a big feature, but instead you're giving up album space to some other guy's insistent need to be a star at ALL TIMES. Its as if that big showcase on Drake's "Take Care" has disabled his ability to stand outside himself and think what's going to benefit the artist who's hosting him as well as himself. He even does it to his fellow TDE artists, which shows he's become the most egotistical of rappers, constantly thinking "Step aside mortal men, it is me, the rap god, known as Kendrick Lamar."

dert
12-03-2016, 05:07 AM
Ugh, no, this verse was fucking terrible.

I was complaining about this to someone recently, but Kendrick is the most blatant attention whore when he goes to other people's albums. He insists on dominating the listener's attention and simply works out a way to become a spectacle to himself so that anyone who's so Kendrick leaning a listener will forget about whomever the song was. Its 'fine' if you're a Pusha T or Big Sean, who are making entirely disposable rap songs to begin with under the guise of being 'artistic' in quality because Kanye spends money on art design that your average record label might, but if you're YG or someone, you think you're getting a big feature, but instead you're giving up album space to some other guy's insistent need to be a star at ALL TIMES. Its as if that big showcase on Drake's "Take Care" has disabled his ability to stand outside himself and think what's going to benefit the artist who's hosting him as well as himself. He even does it to his fellow TDE artists, which shows he's become the most egotistical of rappers, constantly thinking "Step aside mortal men, it is me, the rap god, known as Kendrick Lamar."

interesting take. What is an example of a feature that meets these criteria of benefiting the main rapper?

The only features by him im familiar with are that drake one and one on a fredo santana track, I would agree with you re: both

dert
12-03-2016, 05:29 AM
I'm not listening to the new Kendrick until I listen to 5 other rappers this year. Like, he's on the backburner forever for using the word 'jigaboo' for me. There's enough shoddy fucking antiblackness and racial policing in my own racial group, you think I need him providing confirmation because he learned how to do multis?

Plus the last album sucked.

Also, I'm lost on the references you're using here - is your racial group white? and what would he be "providing confirmation" of?

dert
12-03-2016, 05:35 AM
and come on everyone, the tracks "King Kunta" and "Alright" are clearly amazing. It happens, someone has a breakout album, falls off a bit, but a few tracks are still stellar

CrowleyHead
12-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Also, I'm lost on the references you're using here - is your racial group white? and what would he be "providing confirmation" of?

Mixed white and Latin-American, but its mostly white so hey.

I don't even know what I meant by providing confirmation per se? Its been a couple days and my head's been all over this week. But essentially in regards to the antiblackness, he doesn't need to be playing weird games where he's acting like black on black crime is a bigger issue than white oppression, or using ugly slurs in order to straddle those 'not like the other one' words, especially in his position and influence on younger people and especially given his crossover reach. The last thing rap needs is a guy performing 'cerebral' tracks laced with Aaron McGruder/Chris Rock's "Two Types Of Black People" rambles to whites who if they do even listen to his lyrics beyond a "*teary eyed* gosh, makes ya think, doesn't it?", internalize THOSE sort of lessons.

The guest feature shit is a reoccurring saga specifically with Kendrick. The YG feature, the features an Pusha & Big Sean's album, the Fredo track, the Drake track of COURSE. Even the feature on Schoolboy Q's track didn't put Schoolboy over, it became clearly designed to make Kendrick's feature the important detail.

Kendrick is a multitalented dude, he can sing hooks, he can rap well. But his greatest flaw is his ego is forged in an insistent need to dominate tracks and create spectacles for himself. If you have multiple rappers on a track, a good producer or a good artist understands that you want to make sure someone wants to hear the other rapper, because its his product he's trying to sell. Sometimes you're getting a showcase on someone else's album, in which case YES, the ball's in your court. But you should work in the position that maybe this rapper wants to benefit from having you around while still selling his own album. Its super difficult now because rap fans with digital technology will simply find the track their fav. is on and splice him right out, refusing to partake in accepting any 'lesser' performers.

Its ridiculous. Jay knows how to play cameo/background, Drake can do it, Kanye does it on occasion. Kendrick just has no desire or aspiration to let himself play second fiddle, even when he needs to.

rubberdingyrapids
14-03-2016, 10:51 AM
is kendrick REALLY saying BOB crime is 'worse' than white oppression? hes just trying to address both sides of the issue. i would say he is allowed to straddle both. its not an either/or thing. it strikes me as a bit more mature than simply blaming it all on the powers that be. hes not only saying 'shit dont change until you wipe your ass' (which is actually not so diff from outkast's git up git out really, and hes doing it from the inside, not some republican pointing the finger and blaming), hes criticising po-po and everyone else too.

im not sure if he does ruin other peoples songs or dominate them beyond what he should. isnt that just old-school posse-cut style competitiveness? i think his style just doesnt really marry well with others. hes not really the first rapper to have this issue, but im sure it will help when someone compiles a 'greatest kendrick guest verses' mix. but yeah, hes not very adaptable on the whole. i think he thinks every single thing he does has to be incredible in its virtuoso-ness.

anyway, i listened to the album for the first time since it came out this weekend. i think it loses momentum fairly fast after kunta. its very much a soulquarians revival. as if he thought someone needed to bring back soothing neo soul beats to counter all the 'ignorant' and non musical trap element. it is the common/like water for chocolate/okayplayer rap (no wonder common looked so pleased during the grammys performance) of its time, but a bit more politicised. which is cool simply as an alternative to everything else dominating rap right now, but id have liked the beats to be a bit more retro-future like on alright as i dont think theres anything novel on 80% of this that i didnt already overdose on in the early 2000s, except for the prog-funk on kunta and wesleys theory.

best tracks on TPAB id say are -

wesley's theory
king kunta
institutionalised
u (more just as a great piece of hysterical rap theatre)
alright
blacker the berry
i (totally cheesy, but the funnest thing on the whole album)

dert
15-03-2016, 02:36 AM
Mixed white and Latin-American, but its mostly white so hey.

I don't even know what I meant by providing confirmation per se? Its been a couple days and my head's been all over this week. But essentially in regards to the antiblackness, he doesn't need to be playing weird games where he's acting like black on black crime is a bigger issue than white oppression, or using ugly slurs in order to straddle those 'not like the other one' words, especially in his position and influence on younger people and especially given his crossover reach. The last thing rap needs is a guy performing 'cerebral' tracks laced with Aaron McGruder/Chris Rock's "Two Types Of Black People" rambles to whites who if they do even listen to his lyrics beyond a "*teary eyed* gosh, makes ya think, doesn't it?", internalize THOSE sort of lessons.

The guest feature shit is a reoccurring saga specifically with Kendrick. The YG feature, the features an Pusha & Big Sean's album, the Fredo track, the Drake track of COURSE. Even the feature on Schoolboy Q's track didn't put Schoolboy over, it became clearly designed to make Kendrick's feature the important detail.

Kendrick is a multitalented dude, he can sing hooks, he can rap well. But his greatest flaw is his ego is forged in an insistent need to dominate tracks and create spectacles for himself. If you have multiple rappers on a track, a good producer or a good artist understands that you want to make sure someone wants to hear the other rapper, because its his product he's trying to sell. Sometimes you're getting a showcase on someone else's album, in which case YES, the ball's in your court. But you should work in the position that maybe this rapper wants to benefit from having you around while still selling his own album. Its super difficult now because rap fans with digital technology will simply find the track their fav. is on and splice him right out, refusing to partake in accepting any 'lesser' performers.

Its ridiculous. Jay knows how to play cameo/background, Drake can do it, Kanye does it on occasion. Kendrick just has no desire or aspiration to let himself play second fiddle, even when he needs to.

thanks for the clarifying response!

Corpsey
15-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Pusha is the MVP on that track.

Yeah the voices Kendrick does on that are bad. He reminds me of Danny Brown, in that he CAN be a great rapper but he seems intent on sabotaging that notion with silly voices.

rubberdingyrapids
15-03-2016, 10:02 AM
i dont think kendrick really sticks out on that song. he could have wheeled back the sing-songiness at the start, but for the most part, hes pretty toned down on that verse. but then i think pusha t has been terrible since he went solo. hes a one trick pony.

petergunn
15-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Yeah the voices Kendrick does on that are bad. He reminds me of Danny Brown, in that he CAN be a great rapper but he seems intent on sabotaging that notion with silly voices.

this is true

rubberdingyrapids
17-03-2016, 10:10 AM
every time i see something about that hip hop musical hamilton i keep thinking kendrick would be great in something like that.

rubberdingyrapids
17-03-2016, 11:46 AM
http://www.factmag.com/2016/03/16/kendrick-lamar-rap-manchester-kids-battle/

Corpsey
21-03-2016, 12:12 PM
I reviewed U/U for Crack Magazine. Wrote it before this thread existed, I think.

http://crackmagazine.net/article/music/kendrick-lamar-untitled-unmastered/

Woebot
21-05-2016, 08:23 AM
overly dedicated

this is brilliant - thank you corpsey

rubberdingyrapids
05-12-2016, 03:01 PM
for crowley.

dean blunt on kendrick (a bit old, but im not on the internet all day, so i just saw it)

The former Hype Williams member also said (around 1:10:47) he believes the entire anti-racism discussion in the UK is framed incorrectly. "I think that the problem is not about police. The problem is the fear of the black body, and what happens when you're scared of something is you try and exterminate it. If you give a gun to someone, they shoot it... I don't think it's about police. I don't think marching [while] listening to Kendrick Lamar on Oxford Street is really going to solve it... I think that's part of it, but I think that also black [people] need to think as well, understanding what blackness is and the fear of blackness, and why these people are being shot... Why are we marching about American police? It's not going to stop anything."

id like dean blunt to have a talk radio show.

http://www.thefader.com/2016/08/29/dean-blunt-black-lives-matter-kendrick-lamar

geiom
05-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Kinda suprised by some of the opinions in this thread. I've generally just been amazed that Kendrick is making quality, interesting hip hop that is also massive. And managing to jump on other peoples tracks without totally diluting himself. (this is where everyone now piles in with examples of other popular rappers who they think are good!)

You can't really compare him guesting to drake and kanye, they make some catchy pop but they are sh*t rappers.

That jazz based tune on butterfly is sick. off the chain. And as for the last D'Angelo album, its your loss if you don't like it, seriously!

CrowleyHead
06-12-2016, 01:03 AM
Yeah, Dean is my favorite interview in music these days. His one in Cracked where he talks to Gaika was honestly the first time I've been interested in the latter.

The ironic thing is, Complex had this big picture of Novelist at a #BLM-support rally where he's holding up a sign that says "STOP KILLING THE MAN DEM" and great, I love it, good. Why is Novelist being showcased? I don't think less of him for doing it, I just feel a weird mistrust of the fact that a music paper is showcasing a rising artist having good politics. Perhaps somewhat unnecessary, still.

baboon2004
06-12-2016, 10:58 AM
I like Dean Blunt a lot, as an artist and as an interviewee, but I'm not sure what he wanted from the other people in that room. On the one hand he's saying that marching is limited in its use (and there's definitely a strong argument for that), but on the other he ends up concluding that sitting around and talking is pointless too. Surely the latter is precisely what he wants people to be doing, to reframe the anti-racism discussion in the UK - he could have stayed and elaborated on the interesting points he made, because it's not 100% clear where he was going with it, and most people would've been interested to hear.

On a side note, it surprised me that he picked up on Dead Prez as the last artists who inspired him politically, because they seem much more straight-up polemical and similar to the kind of thing he was getting irritated at. Obviously taste isn't rational like that though, so it shouldn't be surprising really.

luka
06-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Yeah, Dean is my favorite interview in music these days. His one in Cracked where he talks to Gaika was honestly the first time I've been interested in the latter.

The ironic thing is, Complex had this big picture of Novelist at a #BLM-support rally where he's holding up a sign that says "STOP KILLING THE MAN DEM" and great, I love it, good. Why is Novelist being showcased? I don't think less of him for doing it, I just feel a weird mistrust of the fact that a music paper is showcasing a rising artist having good politics. Perhaps somewhat unnecessary, still.

my mates little brother took that pic then had a twitter argument with logan sama about it after logan printed it on a t-shirt without permission. it was sort of funny sort of painful.

Corpsey
06-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Have you ever had the logan argument?

rubberdingyrapids
06-12-2016, 01:15 PM
I like Dean Blunt a lot, as an artist and as an interviewee, but I'm not sure what he wanted from the other people in that room. On the one hand he's saying that marching is limited in its use (and there's definitely a strong argument for that), but on the other he ends up concluding that sitting around and talking is pointless too. Surely the latter is precisely what he wants people to be doing, to reframe the anti-racism discussion in the UK - he could have stayed and elaborated on the interesting points he made, because it's not 100% clear where he was going with it, and most people would've been interested to hear.

hes a funny one really. i dont think he thinks hes smarter than everyone else but i think that detachment you get from a lot of his music extends to how he thinks people should be activists. 'its all just stupid'. hes too clever/haughty/self aware/depressed/easily dismayed/angered/apathetic to think anything can get results. does dean blunt make art films? i think he would be good at it.

I just feel a weird mistrust of the fact that a music paper is showcasing a rising artist having good politics.

i mistrust novelist as i dont think he knows anything about anything apart from mcdonalds in lewisham but why would you mistrust a paper showcasing an artist having good politics?

luka
06-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Have you ever had the logan argument?

Clashed him on dissensus lol

luka
06-12-2016, 01:19 PM
He used to come on here quite a bit

CrowleyHead
06-12-2016, 03:08 PM
i mistrust novelist as i dont think he knows anything about anything apart from mcdonalds in lewisham but why would you mistrust a paper showcasing an artist having good politics?

I mean, he's only 20-ish and he doesn't know fuck all, and is just eager to do things on a reactionary basis because he knows things are 'wrong'. I don't take his politics too cynically because he tries, plus he's often encouraged in this direction by his handlers in a way that maybe he's not prepared for? The 'political' themed songs he's tried are pretty clumsy but they mean well.

I mistrust the music papers because if you wanted to report on the news, you can report on the news, you needn't somehow sneak a tie-in to artist endorsement. Better yet, have Novelist just ramble about how he doesn't like racism or whatever, I'd appreciate it! Something as cheap as the photo and a think-piece has almost an air of using the tragedy to further promo/hype Nov and things like that in turn cloud my mood about him subsequently without his doing.

Ofc. we've long-since established the exchange of you saying 'yeah I don't feel that way' and me being histrionic so I get this may be a personal peculiarity.

rubberdingyrapids
06-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Ofc. we've long-since established the exchange of you saying 'yeah I don't feel that way' and me being histrionic so I get this may be a personal peculiarity.

lol. i get what you mean now. you said 'rising artist'. you should have just said 'young' :p

Corpsey
16-12-2016, 01:28 PM
Having loved your bloggariddims jazz mix, I reckon you're a bit of a jazz authority. So what do you make of the jazz on TPAB and U/U? Half-baked?

Woebot ignoring my question is up there with Reynolds quoting me on his blog as far as geekgasm moments go in 2016.

CrowleyHead
17-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Woebot ignoring my question is up there with Reynolds quoting me on his blog as far as geekgasm moments go in 2016.

We're still 'new' tbf. Upstarts who need to prove our mettle.