Kendrick Lamarr

Woebot

i really liked the mad city one. then...

to pimp a butterfly was horribly naff, coke-addled, tuneless convoluted wank (i didn't like it)

the newer one has many of the same irritations but might be an improvement.

Woebot

can't stand his righteous genius visionary personality.

kanye's righteous genius visionary personality is at least funny.

luka

Probably the worst music being made at the moment. The worst voice, raspy and squeaky at the same time, rapping over weather report.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Just reviewed the new one for a magazine. I find the more I listen to his newer stuff the more I get out of and like it. It retroactively made me like 'To Pimp...' a lot more, too.

Don't really get the coke-addled thing? I guess you mean it was self-indulgent. From what I gather he's actually more teetotal than anything.

There's this weird friction in his music between musicality (I'm sleep-deprived so can't think of a better word... 'tunefulness' perhaps? :D) and his this extremely cerebral quality. At its best it smuggles this complexity under the radar, cloaked in catchy melodies.

On the whole I prefer his earlier stuff, 'Overly Dedicated' especially ('Opposites Attract', 'Average Joe'...), but I'm glad he's evolved like this, he doesn't really sound like anyone else by this point... He does have a righteous persona, perhaps, but that's rather refreshing when compared to the majority of rappers, with their wilfully ignorant personas. (Many of whom I love, natch.)

Though a very different artist, in many ways he reminds me of Eminem (including the histrionics). He's so talented at 'just' rapping that you get the sense that he's bored of it, Hence all the weird voices, multiple perspectives, dense, often cluttered production.

Benny Bunter

agreed. i did quite like mad city at the time but not been tempted to revisit, thought pimpy-flutterby was borderline unlistenable. you two have already pinpointed the two main problems: annoying 'visionary' personality plus raspy/squeaky voice = yuck

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Probably the worst music being made at the moment. The worst voice, raspy and squeaky at the same time, rapping over weather report.

I actually don't think his 'real' voice is unpleasant, but he tends to do the Eminem thing of putting on silly voices... However, in Kendrick's case, there's usually a point to it.

Chance the Rapper is another matter altogether for me, can't stand his voice - even though it's clearly Kendrick derived.

TBH it doesn't surprise me that you hate him, I can sort of see him being the polar opposite of everything you hold dear :(

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

im not down with all that flylo/thundercat/kamasi washington shit either. I'm guessing dre's involvement as 'executive producer' (whatever that means) on maad city was the reason that album was so much better

luka

Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, green smoothie, yoga on the beach, fretless bass, Billy Cobham, Jaco Pastorius, white linen, jazz school, electronica influences, duality, raspy/squeaky, light/dark, righteous/gangsta

luka

A bitch is a bitch a ho is a ho, I respect you if you respect yourself. Where have all my righteous self respecting women gone?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Why does it bother you?

''Terrace is the one who brought me in on the Kendrick project. I was working on stuff for one of his albums, Velvet Portraits.'' LOL

luka

Silken Passage/Tribal Megalopolis/Shanghai Hilton/Ornamental Flute/Neon Ginza/Jazz Ramen/

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
and yet you're a fan of Giles Peterson, no?

I am prepared to be shot down for equating the jazz Giles plays with the Jazz you're referencing.

While the original Jazz is probably respected on here, it's also essentially the root of all evil as far as dissensus is concerned, isn't it?

luka

Silken Passage/Tribal Megalopolis/Shanghai Hilton/Ornamental Flute/Compton cybernetics/soulfood banquet/collard greens and caviar