beautifully compiled discogs collections

Leo

this kind of thing's a bit anal retentive, isn't it? can't even remember half the records i own, makes it more fun to be pleasantly surprised when i stumble across something i forgot i had. to each his own.

luka

?? I thought he's just trying to make some pocket money isn't he? Nothing particularly anal about that?

Benny Bunter

jesus christ. I'd love to have the money to own all these.

...and have decks/amp/speakers to play them on

and have the space to store them (in alphabetical order of course)

and have the time to listen to 'em

with no gf/baby/neighbours to disturb...

i'll even bet he's digitised them all so he can play em out, mp3s meticulously tagged and organised into folders and backed up on 3 seperate hard drives

on second thoughts...

droid

just can't imagine spending the time to catalog 2,000 records.

2000!! Ha, thats nothing.

Once you hit the low thousands cataloguing is actually a very good idea - for insurance alone (and also so you don't accidentally buy the same record twice).

Leo

(and also so you don't accidentally buy the same record twice).

yup, i've done that! still, in the time-is-money cost/benefit analysis, cataloging my thousands of records doesn't outweigh very (very) occasionally spending a few bucks on a record i already own. as i said, to each his own.

trza

i just bought a record on vacation that I knew I already owned but its a first pressing of a desirable record with a good cover, but then noticed a little number in the corner that means one copy is in mono so now i will keep both

droid

that is hilarious. what records have you two bought more than one of by accident?

Mainly jungle. Before I started cataloguing stuff on rolldabeats, and then discogs I'd occasionally pick up duplicates. Who can remember if they have Formation 36 or 36B, or exactly which of the three Helicopter tune 10"s they already have?

trza

then there are the records that you know the price or you know somebody that wants one

firefinga

just can't imagine spending the time to catalog 2,000 records.

I cataloged parts of my collection two years ago (roughly 30 or so %, in numbers about 1000) on discogs and it didn't take me that long, a couple of hours while listening to the radio. Funny bit bout it was I couldn't remember having bought quite a number of em, but there they were.

droid

I confess I have occasionally bought the same record thrice.

And there's the odd 12" or LP that I buy on sight secondhand, in the full knowledge I already have it.

firefinga

And, very odd to some possibly, I bought a few releases first on vinyl, but rebought them on CD. Why CD? Because it seemed to be the better format for that particular release.