Hairway To Steven (/ copycats to court, part.2)

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-26/led-zeppelin-can-exit-stairway-suit-for-just-1

So apparently this is not news to anyone (first reported by UK papers in the mid 90s or something...), but representatives for the (amazing) band Spirit are officially suing Led Zeppelin for ripping off one of their tunes to do the opening guitar riff on Stairway To Heaven.

Audio below. It's a straight rip and the bands were linked in lots of ways apparently, so pretty much a no brainer. I think the pro-Zep camp have been arguing that it's a rip from Bach originally in some way, but I tried listening to the Bach piece and it wasn't at all the same so definitely not buying that...

I'm sort of glad about this to be honest. Led Zeppelin are always put up on a pedestal with bands like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones as these super duper genius amazing songwriting gods that no mortal can ever compare to, and while I do really like a lot of their stuff (Custard Pie / In My Time Of Dying) it's always fun to see chinks in a band like that's armour, plus they're a pop act at the end of the day sitting on heaps of cash that they made from ripping of that dude's riff so they had it coming and give af.

Plus I love routing for the underdog. Especially when they're right, and it's Spirit, who did this beautiful banger.

Love it. Clearly incredible songwriters, so it all makes sense now...

Obviously particularly poignant in light of the Robin Thicke, Pharrell etc being sued by Marvin Gaye's estate incident of not so long ago.

Who's next ey? :p

sadmanbarty

Page was a fan of the 2nd british folk revival (it been documented that he was a fan of the incredible string bad and bert jansch) so there could be some influence here:

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
did bob dylan get rich off everyone covering his tracks in the 1960s does anyone know?

the byrds, jimi hendrix, nick drake etc

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I dunno, I think there's a lot of songs, including Marvin Gaye songs, that are based - in one way or another - on other songs. That's kind of how music works, isn't it?

Obviously straight up ripping off something isn't cool.

I hope Miguel doesn't get done for 'Adorn', which is very much 'Sexual Healing' in millenial drag.

Leo

can you imagine if juan atkins and derrick may could sue every producer who ever released a soulful "detroit techno" track that basically apes their sound? half the population of germany would be paying them royalties, LOL!