Left of Centre European Clubs

IdleRich

IdleRich
What other nightclubs are there in Europe which have the same kind of open music policy and vibe as Salon des Amateurs in Dusseldorf? I'm thinking small sweaty basements rather than superclubs - places where you get psychedelia mixed with techno and the crowd is up for dancing to that until seven am.
I have a feeling I'm going to be able to travel to more of these kind of places in the next few years if everything works out properly and I want some good tips.
Maybe Control Club in Bucharest fits the bill, anyone been to that?

IdleRich

IdleRich
So this is a group that is left of centre and is arguably a club. Definitely not a nightclub though which is a shame cos if it was it would work as a sort of joke answer to this question (albeit not a very funny one). Nice try though.

"Anita Berber in Berlin?"
Looking at the pictures it looks almost exactly the same. Can't see much about the music policy though.
For some reason though I'm particularly interested in places outside of Berlin or even Germany. I suppose I'm especially interested in places that aren't so well known for their nightlife.

glasshand

dj panic attack
you said not Germany so maybe you already know this one - Golden Pudel in Hamburg

remember hearing something about it closing soon but doesn't look to be the case online

when i went a few years ago the vibe was exactly what you described

IdleRich

IdleRich
"you said not Germany so maybe you already know this one - Golden Pudel in Hamburg"
I've never been but I know of it, I think it's exactly the kind of place I mean - in fact I was trying to swing it to dj there until it caught fire few months back. As far as I know it was pretty much destroyed unless you know different? Real shame cos everyone says it was something special.

grave

I'm thinking small sweaty basements rather than superclubs - places where you get psychedelia mixed with techno and the crowd is up for dancing to that until seven am

That sounds very much like Puwaba, currently operating in the basement of an African restaurant on Old Kent Road.

There's one next Friday.

dert

Looking at the pictures it looks almost exactly the same. Can't see much about the music policy though.
For some reason though I'm particularly interested in places outside of Berlin or even Germany. I suppose I'm especially interested in places that aren't so well known for their nightlife.

the same as what? i mentioned it cause i had a great time there last july on a wednesday, mike huckaby was playing a set of his sun ra edits. easily the furthest-out club set i've heard bar hieroglyphic being...sure those are big names but in terms of sonics, testing

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the same as what?"

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant that it looks very similar to Salon inside - here is Salon des Amateurs (though normally it would be a lot darker)

salon.jpg

and here is Anita Berber

1379339_155019788042336_2059275684_n.jpg

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
That sounds very much like Puwaba, currently operating in the basement of an African restaurant on Old Kent Road.
There's one next Friday.
Oh aye, that's Horton and Tobias and that lot (James?) isn't it? I keep meaning to check it out but I never do. Next Friday being the 26th May?
But that's a night rather than a club. I guess what I'm looking for is little clubs that have a kind of music policy where if you roll up you are going to get something interesting that's not four to the floor all night - but which doesn't reject dance music. The type of club that would regularly put on nights similar to Puwaba (in philosophy rather than sound - I don't want all the nights to sound the same but I want them all to be brave). I'm hoping to move out of the uk next year and visit quite a lot of this kind of place - and I guess, ultimately, I'd like to blag a few dj spots if at all possible.

benw

music box in lisbon?
0to31 or radion in amsterdam?
alphabet in tel aviv?
la cheetah club in glasgow
bassiani in tbilisi
kaiku and or Ääniwalli (same promoters) in helsinki
about blank in berlin
siroco in madrid
closer in kiev

could probably think of more, might be easier if you threw me some specific cities. this is sort of basically my job, so easy.

fyi as far as im concerned i think musically control club is a bit more mainstream european house and techno than anything particularly underground or fringe, as you would find at salon or golden pudel. but control club definitely has been people dancing well past 7am.

glasshand

dj panic attack
I've never been but I know of it, I think it's exactly the kind of place I mean - in fact I was trying to swing it to dj there until it caught fire few months back. As far as I know it was pretty much destroyed unless you know different? Real shame cos everyone says it was something special.

o shit when i wrote that i had a feeling that i had read about it closing down, but then i searched and it still comes up with listings on RA. so maybe it's back

IdleRich

IdleRich
"music box in lisbon?"
That's great news cos my aim if all goes well is to move to Lisbon. But very promising list there of things to check out - thanks very much, what is your job then if you don't mind me asking? Sounds more interesting than most.