REMIXES: Best/Worst

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The original

Not bad,

The remix

Classic.

Maybe this is because I've just heard the remix so many times without hearing the original but the original doesn't seem in the 'right' key to me at all. They've changed the whole feeling of the words by changing that harmonic emphasis - it becomes this quite melancholic expression of unrequited love.

T minus 10 until I inevitably post the ILL BLU version of Parachutes.

sadmanbarty

Great idea for a thread.

I’m being a little liberal with the idea of remix here but:

Tracy Champman- baby can I hold you, very nice if you’re soppy like me, but…

combining melancholy with the frantic, almost desperate, aggression of yardtapes and jungle gives it an emotional complexity and richness superior to the original

Red Light- The Burial

Another redlight remix gem:

Simpleton- Coca Cola Bottle Shape

Red Light- Coca Cola

Vybz Kartel

Though I couldn’t which one was the best [edit. fuck it, that redlight remix is amazing, better than the original]

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm guessing UK garage will win this thread, or at least come out near the top. Garage mixes of tunes are sort of the Antipodes of that radio 1 live lounge genre of cover version where a white indie/pop star tales all the joy and vitality out of an rnb or rap song with an acoustic guitar.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
This discogs comment on the FK mix of Sharon Redd always makes me smile

Once upon a time i was in Scotland and decided to visit the famous little church in Rosslyn. Famous because of its appearance in Dan Brown's book The Da Vinci Code. Many stories are told about this beautiful little church. It is said that the holy grail is buried beneath it. Another story tells the tale of one of the fourteen pillars where Rosslyn Chapel stands on. A pillar standing out in beauty from all the others. The three pillars at the east end of the chapel are named, the Master Pillar, the Journeyman Pillar, and most famously, the Apprentice Pillar. Its name comes from a legend dating from the 18th century involving the master mason in charge of the stonework in the chapel and his young apprentice. According to the legend, the master mason did not believe that the apprentice could perform the complicated task of carving the column without seeing the original which formed the inspiration for the design. The master mason travelled to Rome to see the original himself, but upon his return was enraged to find that the upstart apprentice had completed the column anyway. In a fit of jealous anger the mason took up his mallet and struck the apprentice on the head, killing him. The legend concludes that as punishment for his crime, the master mason's face was carved into the opposite corner to forever gaze upon his apprentice's pillar. So, what's the point of making a Special Remix? To make it better than it was before. Right? Why do so few succeed in that? There is only one man i know who made every mix better than it was before and that's Larry Levan. A true wizard and master. And then there was the apprentice Francois Kevorkian, who made this mix. A jewel. Four minutes of only intro. Sharon who starts singing, chanting along with the guitar, after those lovely four minutes. All the instruments coming together in one perfect blend of bliss including the awesome lyrics. Do you really think you can .... uhhhh .... Handle IT? I've bought this record in 1981 and 30 years later i like it as much as in the beginning. I never get tired of it. I do not know one song where the remix is so much better than the original. Not a bit better, way better! Seek no more, you've found the holy grail.

trza

I did a google search for Flava in Ya Ear remix, and found an article about Craig Mack being remixed leading to teh whole Bad Boy P Diddy Biggie empire.....

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is the original of Show Me Love, from 1990, Not bad, but bland.

And you know what happened next, in 1993

Stone cold classic, persistently inferiorly remixed to this very day.

Again, the difference made by the switch in mood in the instrumental, the hardening of it, makes her sound more resolute, more determined... Reckon this was influenced by this?

Any excuse to post this, one of those 'so good I could cry' tunes *lighter*

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This one might be controversial, but I think the J Dilla remix of D'angelo's 'Dreaming Eyes' is flat-out sublime.

And continuing on the same theme, one of my friends swears the original 'Eve' is better than Dilla's remix, but he's deeply misguided and wrong

Echoing barty's sentiments re: myron upthread, this renders something that was quite affecting completely beautiful. Also, continuing the general theme of my selections, it toughens it right up simultaneously. I DEMAND TOUGHNESS AND BEAUTY.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You know what, though, listening back to 'Loveshy' I reckon a lot of people prefer that version cos its got proper 2-step beats and is much more strident. Perhaps the tuff jam rmx strikes others as saccharine.

NOT ME THOUGH, I LOVE IT

craner

Beast of Burden
I think the original single version of Mariah Carey's 'Fantasy' is much better than the remix feat. ODB, but I realise that is probably a minority opinion.

Benny Bunter

Reckon groove chronicles remix of telefunkin is an even more sublime transformation than the myron one tbh.
There must be tons of shit-into-gold todd edwards remixes too that i cant think of right now.

craner

Beast of Burden
Todd Edwards just used to build his own thing, though, a bit like the Jesus Jones/Aphex remix Droid linked above. Would you even recognise them?

trza

really disappointed by lack of "worst" remix contributions here. for a best/worst thread.