This type of rnb

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

burns.jpg

Fly, my pretties! Fly!

Benny Bunter

this whole album is great, but i think this cut is the most relevant here

I also want more of this type of rnb. 'complex simplicity' and that KING album are two of my all time faves

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ah I love Jazmine Sullivan.

I'm glad you've justified this thread's existence a little cos I was lean to the power of ten last night when I made it, hence the extremely vague title. Was going to call it 'Floating music' or something at one point. Sigh.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Yes, I guess this is RNB that has that same heritage as S.O.S Band, Janet Jackson, Alexander Charrelle, etc.

Actually Prince was a fan of KING, wasn't he?

I hear the same harmonies recurring in a lot of KING, Jazminne Sullivan, Teedra Moses music, though I can't name them cos I don't know music theory. And these are harmonies that remind me of SWV, Michael Jackson, disco, etc.

Whereas a lot of RNB now is more gloomy and often performed by people who can't really sing all that well.

rubberdingyrapids

you might also like -
stevie wonder - rocket love
anita baker - sweet love
babyface - whip appeal (theres prob a closer babyface song but this is the one that popped into my head)
made me think of madonnas take a bow too

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Cheers!

I think that, though I really like the KING album, it has a wispiness to it that the 80s/90s stuff it evokes didn't have. That stuff had hard beats, often breakbeats in the 90s, that kept it propulsive.

I think that attention grabbing hardness is especially important, from the POV of popularity, in the modern era of ADD.

I'm not 100% sure what kind of R&B you're asking for, but if this isn't too slow you might like it.

V ft Jill Scott- Born Again

The whole EP is good but the other tracks don't sound like this. Jazzy Jeff produced.

rubberdingyrapids

KING also have a bit of an cold synth thing happening in their music, at least in that song (i dont know their album - still not heard it)

you might like parts of the new corinne bailey rae album, theyve done a lot of work on it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
you might also like -
stevie wonder - rocket love
anita baker - sweet love
babyface - whip appeal (theres prob a closer babyface song but this is the one that popped into my head)
made me think of madonnas take a bow too

Nice one...

Of course the Stevie made me instantly reach for

GZA feat Inspectah Deck/D'Angelo - Cold World RMX

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Funny, did a bit of investigation on Wikipedia and found that many of SWV's songs were written by one Brian Alexander Morgan, who did production work on Rufus: Tell Me Something Good, written by... Stevie Wonder. And it really sounds like a Stevie Wonder song. Still, it's probably true that there's a hidden (or not so) continuum of songwriters running through RNB, explaining the recurring harmonies, etc.

edit: extensive interview with Brian Alexander Morgan hyeah http://uk.complex.com/music/2014/09/brian-alexander-morgan-swv-interview

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

i finally remembered the song that jazmine sullivan song reminds me of!

id be surprised if this isnt in the songwriting credits for her song.

this is also kinda similar to the vibe you want maybe -

i really need to get that KING album.

Last edited: