dert

does anyone listen to him? he's not very well known in america but seems to be a seminal figure in some ways. I'm wondering what the general impression of his music is on this board

sadmanbarty

I like his stuff a lot.

I tend to listen to his more idiomatic stuff (Mirakle and Guitar, Drums n Bass) in the same way I'd listen to other, more conventional music in those idioms.

With the pure free improvisation stuff, I tend to enjoy it in the same way as ambient music, drone, noise, etc. So I'd use it as background music while I'm doing something else. The ambient connection is particularly applicable with his solo stuff, which can be quite soothing and serene (though it can be very abrasive as well).

Leo

when he was alive, the wire would write about him in every damn issue because he released a lot of records and did lots of gigs. he's well respected in the improv community, his recordings tend to lack any studio production enhancement.

he did a lot of collaborations, including one where he jammed over some drum'n bass (https://www.discogs.com/Derek-Bailey-Guitar-Drums-N-Bass/release/226315). great idea but kind of boring execution, should have worked with a better d'nb producer.

also recall one live album that includes the sound of a rain storm outside that happened during the performance.

since improv isn't really my thing, i only dabbled in a few of his records just to try and understand what he was about. interesting stuff (his "ballads" cd of covers on john zorn's tzadik label is probably the most "structured"), but not something i pull off the shelf very often.

CrowleyHead

he did a lot of collaborations, including one where he jammed over some drum'n bass (https://www.discogs.com/Derek-Bailey-Guitar-Drums-N-Bass/release/226315). great idea but kind of boring execution, should have worked with a better d'nb producer.

Yeah, I read an interview with him and he said exactly that. Apparently he was practicing while listening to pirates in his area, and wanted to just have him playing to the radio as an album, but the label balked at that idea. Might've been interesting for sure.

john eden

male pale and stale
I regret not seeing him as I wasn't into this stuff until after he died.

The Ben Watson biog is mainly great

What is even better is the four part TV series Bailey did on improvised music around the world. I think it's on Vimeo.

Not got a lot of his stuff tho.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I liked his idiosyncratic style best as part of a power trio:

Derek Bailey, Jamaaladeen Tacuma & Calvin Weston - Mirakle
Derek Bailey & Ruins - Saisoro / Tohjinbo

though these more improv orientated trios are worth checking as well:

Derek Bailey, Kent Carter & John Stevens - One Time
Derek Bailey, Pat Thomas & Steve Noble - And

:)

luka

I like his stuff a lot.

I tend to listen to his more idiomatic stuff (Mirakle and Guitar, Drums n Bass) in the same way I'd listen to other, more conventional music in those idioms.

With the pure free improvisation stuff, I tend to enjoy it in the same way as ambient music, drone, noise, etc. So I'd use it as background music while I'm doing something else. The ambient connection is particularly applicable with his solo stuff, which can be quite soothing and serene (though it can be very abrasive as well).

luka

A bit like a corpsey face but supercillious and vain instead of wracked with self loathing and low self esteem

luka

It's pretty solid tune imo. If you go to Ben Watsons house the whole hallway is lined floor to ceiling with bailey tapes

version

I like a lot of noise stuff and whatnot, but I've never gotten into Bailey. Just find it irritating. Bill Orcutt's like a good version of Bailey to me.

luka

Bailey is unlistenable solo but appears on good stuff. I love topography of the lungs for instance.

luka

Mirakle, mentioned here by the Lads is listenable
Too. Version have you ever been to swanage? A town on the Dorset coast