Esg

borderpolice

I went to see ESG last weekend @ Koko, great concert. two things i'd like to know:

what does ESG abbreviate?

i was surprised just how large an audience they managed to attract. who's been pushing them?

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
well, places i have heard esg songs:

dirtbombs cover of 'my love for you', rough trade best of 2003 comp, found out it was a cover
rough trade post punk comp
optimo

ryan17

i guess they were doing some sort of U.K. tour cause they were in glasgow on sunday as part of the triptych festival that happens annually this time of year.

they played at the optimo club night.

i think their name is just rather household when it comes to artschool types and dance people. they are probably on 10050503005 comps every year too i would imagine.

boomnoise

♫
they're also soundtracking the toyota verso advert. as LRJP! pointed out - probably to pay their sample clearance lawyers

daren

don_quixote said:
well, places i have heard esg songs:

dirtbombs cover of 'my love for you', rough trade best of 2003 comp, found out it was a cover
rough trade post punk comp
optimo

Talking about the dirtbombs and covers, there's a Suicide cover of Ghostrider that the Gories play. It's pretty different from the original, and pretty good.

3underscore

I guess the fact that ESG have had reissues and a new issue on Soul Jazz, that TV advert and the fact that they vanished for years when a lot of people got into them may have something to do with it.

You have to remember that ESG were the first band to play at the Hacienda and released singles of Factory, so there is a lot of ways that you can get drawn towards them. The liars even ripped off one of the tracks for the whole rhythm section on a track (first album).

I think ESG have a lot more ways that people can actually reach them really.

hint

party record with a siren
3underscore said:
I think ESG have a lot more ways that people can actually reach them really.

absolutely.

don't forget their inclusion in the ultimate breaks and beats series too - there must be so many reputations that have been boosted and maintained by those compilations. ESG have always had a relatively high profile amongst the DJ / crate digging / production community as a result of their inclusion.

jed_

boomnoise said:
they're also soundtracking the toyota verso advert. as LRJP! pointed out - probably to pay their sample clearance lawyers

ESG are one of the most sampled groups in history, not the other way round ffs.

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
jed_ said:
ESG are one of the most sampled groups in history, not the other way round ffs.

Exactly. Hence the release of Sample Credits Don't Pay Our Bills. I just figured the Car advert was to pay for Faster/Better/Harder/Stronger lawyers...

I'd love to see them live - when i first heard them i was totally disorientated, it was a sort of music that i'd fantasised about but never managed to find when i was 16, and then it turns out it had been created when i was embryonic! how can i spend so much of my life so clueless??