Tuvan throat singing covers album

michael

Bring out the vacuum
A band called Yat-kha have released an album of covers involving Tuvan throat singing... you know that distinctive overtonal chanting business.

MP3 samples of Motorhead and Joy Division on the site... I haven't had a chance to check them out yet, but think they'll be pretty exciting (novelty or not). Beefheart, Kraftwerk, et al..

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Wow, I checked them out and they're even weirder than I expected. Check out 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' at least. The bits where he's making bass harmonies with himself in the chorus are truly disturbing. I can't get over the idea of someone being able to sing two notes at once.

FYI Tuvan throat singing is the technique that shows up in the chorus of Massive Attack's 'Karmacoma'. Dunno if people recall that high whistling melody... I thought it was a synth at first, but it's actually a guy generating such intense bass frequencies with his voice that he's creating a keening overtone in his nasal cavity. Makes growly dudes up front of bands like Korn seem like Frente!. ;)

A bigger passage of the same sample shows up in KLF's 'Chill Out'.

jed_

i don't like that Joy Division cover at all actually but the Motorhead one is good.