1-800 Dinosaur presents TRIM

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Trying to make this the inaugeral Dissensus album club thread but don't have the balls to back it:

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:70yhBLfziwDSFCUnZEWsrm" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Can also be streamed here: http://www.thefader.com/2016/07/27/1-800-dinosaur-presents-trim-james-blake

01. ‘Stretch’ (Airhead)
02. ‘Before I Lied’ (Happa)
03. ‘Man Like Me’ (Airhead)
04. ‘Waco’ (Airhead)
05. ‘Among The Living’ (Bullion)
06. ‘RPG’ (James Blake)
07. ‘White Room’ (Boothroyd)
08. ’13th Apostle’ (Dan Foat)
09. ‘Seeker’ (Klaus)
10. ‘No Manners’ (Boothroyd)

What do we make of this? Producers sound a bit arty and the involvement of James Blake raises an eyebrow and slows the pulse, but then Trim was always one of the more wayward and lyrically intricate grime MCs so perhaps its a good fit?

hucks

Your Message Here
My main thought is I'm glad it happened but I don't know how new all the bars are? It's good tho. i like how his content is standard grime but his delivery is something else entirely.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This was boring the shit out of me earlier after I made this post lol I think I'd better take another run at it later now I'vemade the thread though.

rubberdingyrapids

not heard it in full so should prob wait but what made him good before was being a bit weird/whimsical and arty within grime. now hes just a bit whimsical and arty.

its cool hearing him work with producers like this, but predictably i like this type of trim more -

some of this new stuff is like what you hear at open mic nights.

3 man like me is quite good.

Last edited:

catalog

Was quite excited to see this pop up and listened to the whole thing through, but gotta say that I was really disappointed. Feel like Trim's moment has passed. I really loved a few of the tunes from the Soul Food mixtapes and of course the early Lowdown tune. It's well produced, but there's not a lot of excitement in the MCing... Might give it another listen tho!

forclosure

I like this but i cant help shake the fact that it feels more like a showcase for James Blake and his mates than Trim (i'll be real outside of "Confidence Boost",i dont think ive listened to any James Blake period) so i get what rubberdingyrapids is saying how the purposeful "artiness" of it hurts it.

He did a string of tunes with guys like Real Spectre that i like alot more than some of these

"Before i lied", "Man like Me" & "RPG" are cool "Seeker" is weird but it doesnt quiet work and i think i heard Maxsta over a similiar beat to the last song on the album (i did dig the shot at Prez T tho)

from what he said to Complex he'll be putting out Crisis later this year and he's got a EP with Rage from Slew Dem coming,looking to check those if/when they come out