Concise n Nice

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Bits in songs that you wish were longer, or almost wish were longer.

Inspired by:

Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

The whole song is, AFAIC, a masterful build up to the 2:14 cry of 'Feed Your Head!'

I could have sworn that bit was sung at LEAST four times.

Perhaps it was because they were releasing stuff on vinyl and space was restricted but concision is something that bands of the 60s did very well. The Beatles might be hateful to some but you can't accuse them (generally speaking) of stretching an idea out too much.

Occasionally a short and sweet bit will pop up that makes me think 'ooh i wish that was longer' and now there's a thread for me to bore everyone else with that opinion.

luka

It was a surprise for me listening to those Bob James 'classics' for the first time and realising they are comprised of 5 seconds of joy sandwiched in a swamp of schmaltz

Leo

if i had a rock band, i'd cover just the fast part towards the end of "stairway to heaven" as a freestanding song.

also always dug the part in "whole lotta love" right after robert plant does all his spacey orgasmic "ah-ah-ah-ah" yelping and moaning, when the drums/bass repeatedly trade off against jimmy page's guitar solo.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It was a surprise for me listening to those Bob James 'classics' for the first time and realising they are comprised of 5 seconds of joy sandwiched in a swamp of schmaltz

It only occurred to me after I read this that what I'm describing is what producers (in the days of sampling) would spend half their lives looking for. I used to be of the resolutely philistine opinion that jazz was in fact terrible and producers like Pete Rock and Q-Tip had fished manna from a swamp, but these days I recognise that this is an indefensible position. (Although it sometimes still IS true, and I'd often rather listen to the rap version of something than the original.)

Let's take the example of Mystic Brew becomes Electric Relaxation http://www.whosampled.com/sample/87...lectric-Relaxation-Ronnie-Foster-Mystic-Brew/

I actually LOVE Mystic Brew but OTOH with Electric Relaxation you don't have to endure the two minute hammond organ solo.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The existence of the Hardcore poll reminds me that one of the greatest things about hardcore is how it picks up and drops brilliant ideas without a care in the world. (Other than the hunger for MORE MORE MORE.)

Hardcore must be replete with examples of 30 second sections that could have been stretched out over five minutes.

AFAIK no other genre since has encouraged such a profusion of ideas to be packed into individual tracks. Most dance music has the intro, breakdown and maybe an outro, and other than that is more or less a single loop, developed.

luka

It is intersting isn't it. I suppose pop trained our ears to want only the sweet spot. Just the climax, Elongated to song length. I don't want to wait 11 minutes for a piece of music to suddenly click into focus, only for it to lose its way again 60 seconds later.