Glam rock.

luka

Can't think of anything less appealing but our patron Saint has written a book about it so I think we should have a thread. Which I won't contribute to.

luka

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I started the thread cos my mate said he just heard a good interview on 6 music which presumably you can hear online?

Leo

i'd imagine many dissensians don't care much for any form of rock'n roll, based on the topics posted in the music forum. or maybe they do, but this just isn't the place for discussing it. haven't listened to glam in decades but still have my share of old mott the hoople and t. rex LPs.

this might be splitting hairs but when i was in my younger rock years, we always distinguished between glam and glitter. glam was more commercially mainstream/big budget/less cool (bowie, t. rex, queen, etc.). we gravitated towards glitter, which was more flamboyantly over the top but in a low-budget way (new york dolls, the tubes, early alice cooper, and then later redd kross, etc.)

i haven't read the book or listened to the interviews, so not sure if this distinction is covered.

CrowleyHead

Nobody saw Gary Glitter's ugly ass face and thought of femininity lmao. This weird revision of Glam Rock by nerds that excludes bands who were oriented around working class audience is rubbish. I hope Reynolds doesn't do that but he's already out here presuming there's some connective tissue between Bowie and Young Thug so fuck it.

luka

I told you ages ago that bowie thugga connection would get made. Tell me if I'm lying. Saw that coming a mile off

Leo

as i said, i have no idea where simon fits slade et al into the glamcore continuum (!), i'm just telling you how we saw things as teenagers at the time.

Benny Bunter

Nobody saw Gary Glitter's ugly ass face and thought of femininity lmao. This weird revision of Glam Rock by nerds that excludes bands who were oriented around working class audience is rubbish.

julian cope's take on it

https://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/glamrocksampler

...spewdo-intellectual revisionist authors of the ‘80s and ‘90s intent on rendering ‘70s Glam Rock as a Gay Phenomenon denied ‘the brickies-in-lippy’ that made up 90% of the scene. Why so? Probably because beautiful people hate uglies and wanna write them out of the story. Besides, unlike its Wodenist Midland siblings Hardrock and Heavy Metal – genres entirely ignored by the so-called intellectuals – the presence at the epicentre of Glam Rock of two such pixies as Bowie and Bolan meant that almost EVERYBODY (compared to that fey duo, at least) was a ‘bricky-in-lippy’, including important Glam Rockers such as the Adrian Street-esque Mick Ronson, the sharklike Mick ‘Woody’ Woodmansey, the Edwardian dockside crane Trevor Bolder, Mott’s Overend Watts, Alice Cooper’s 6’ 5” drummer Neal Smith and hairy-chested songwriter Michael Bruce. So, when you look at these Accused, each one is an esteemed and fucking central hub of the Glam Rock scene. So, fuck that ‘brickies-in-lippy’ shit.

CrowleyHead

I told you ages ago that bowie thugga connection would get made. Tell me if I'm lying. Saw that coming a mile off

I never said it wasn't coming! I just was moaning at the inevitability!

Also ofc. Cope would agree with that.

rubberdingyrapids

im up for reading about the glaminuum.

This weird revision of Glam Rock by nerds that excludes bands who were oriented around working class audience is rubbish.
i doubt he would do this. he will prob ramp up the bands oriented around WC auds.

Last edited:

firefinga

Granted, I don't know an awful lot about Glam(rock) but from a salesman's perspective this was probably a good move. The Glam fans are now in their late 50s and 60s and are a generation still reading books. I have some doubts though peeps into Glam identified with the "genre" to the extent which is usually necessary to make them buy a book on the topic.

CrowleyHead

im up for reading about the glaminuum.

i doubt he would do this. he will prob ramp up the bands oriented around WC auds.

No I never thought Reynolds in particular might? Just in general there's a tendency to rewrite history based on career/legacy/prestige where "This act who lasted a decade or so and did big gestures is and truly always was more important than the bigger act who sold a lot of records and had hit singles in the initial stages".

It'd be like saying on a more extreme term that Oasis were nothing compared to Radiohead in the terms of britpop or something.

I did listen to Reynolds talk and the point where the interviewer mentions a friend flipping through, finding mentions of Mud and saying "Ah he's not fucking around, he really is studying the whole field" really did some reassurance.

tomfun

I think Cherrystones was set to release a compilation of Glam stuff in the mid 00s (Glam isn't a four letter word?) i booked him around this time and he gave me a mix cd with a bunch of cool glam sounding stuff on it.

Like this one from Glasgow

tomfun

Not long after, i booked Paul Research from The Scars and he told me that when they released Horrorshow, they considered themselves a Glamrock band.

I have always kinda wondered what other weirdo glam offshoots there were kicking about, but i have never actually bothered hunting myself.

If this book revives the genre for a bit, maybe some more interesting tracks will get unearthed.