http://www.woebot.com/2016/12/best-of-2016.html

luka
04-12-2016, 09:50 PM
:cool:

sadmanbarty
04-12-2016, 10:25 PM
From Choon of the day earlier this year:

Luka- It’s Greenwhich

The juxtaposition between the infantile (the bass, use of single clause sentences, non-sequiters, etc.) and the bittersweet (the strings); of course nostalgia for our childhood is often bittersweet.

Similarly there is the (often simultaneous) evocation of both the mundane and the magnificent. On the one hand talk there is talk of pubs and pies and on the other Luka references history, religion and astrology.

These two themes are reconciled as Luka calls on the audience to view our mundane lives with the magical sense of wonder of a child; to see the thames as "sparkling", etc.

sadmanbarty
05-12-2016, 10:59 AM
road rap meets afrobeat/funky thread ting:

Kojo Funds- Dun Talking [probably my most listened to song of this year, contender for track of the year]

Donaeo- My Circle

Yxng Bane- Fine Wine and Should’ve Known Better

Pop:

Rihanna- Work [I felt it was a jaw dropper at the time, I can't see why now, though I still think it's great] and James Joint

Ariana Grande- Greedy and Be Alright

Jones- Indulge (and the various remixes)

MO- Final Song

Tieks- Sunshine

Rap

Rae Sremmurd- Start A Party [track of the year contender]

Young Thug- Drippin and Kanye West

2 Chainz- Ghetto [track of the year contender]

Future- All Right and Xanny Family

Kanye West- Feedback and 30 Hours [most of the credit goes to Arthur Russell though]

Wacka Flocka Flame- Dreads n Golds [not to be confused with Dreads & Gold] [album of the year]

Maxo Kream- Choppas, Hit Mane, Big Worm and None of Y’all

Dancehall:

Colton T- Na Worry Bout Dem [track of the year contender]

Mavado- Lowe Me

Wicked Wicked Riddim

Jafrass- Kill Him Enuh

Alkaline- One More Time

Krisco Riddim

Mavado- Way We Roll

rubberdingyrapids
05-12-2016, 11:39 AM
kanye - pablo
babyfather - bbf (this is the best album of any genre)
those cargaa comps
everything in the gqom genre

Corpsey
06-12-2016, 01:12 PM
Interesting (or not) that both Rolling Stone and NME have top 50s full of Rhianna, Chance the Rapper, Young Thug, Drake, etc.

Rock is dead?

rubberdingyrapids
06-12-2016, 01:18 PM
depends where in those top 50s.

Corpsey
06-12-2016, 01:41 PM
NME

10. Charli XCX – ‘After The Afterparty’

9. Lady Leshurr – ‘Where Are You Now?’

8. Skepta – ‘Man’

7. Kanye West – ‘Ultralight Beam’

6. Beyoncé – ‘Formation’

5. Christine & The Queens – ‘Tilted’

4. Iggy Pop – ‘Gardenia’

3. Chance The Rapper – ‘All Night’

2. The 1975 – ‘Somebody Else’

1. Rihanna – ‘Work’

sadmanbarty
06-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Interesting (or not) that both Rolling Stone and NME have top 50s full of Rhianna, Chance the Rapper, Young Thug, Drake, etc.

Rock is dead?

I thought rock died at some point in the early 90's. At least as a sonic vanguard.

As a cultural force it died around the mid-2000's.

Leo
06-12-2016, 02:38 PM
i don't even know what "rock" is in 2016. if there's ever a need for a rock act at a big showcase gig (like super bowl halftime show, etc.), promoters still just roll out old relics like springsteen, U2 and aerosmith. aren't there any big bands whose members are in their 20s-30s anymore? do any kids, aside from a small group of outsider/underground/indie kids, listen to rock anymore? does it even get radio airplay?

aside: there's one new/used record store in town that's fine when the owner is there but on certain nights/weekends he has some college-age girls working and all they play in-store is this really shitty emo rock. that stuff makes me feel older than anything else because it LITERALLY ALL SOUNDS THE SAME: same shitty guitar sound, same lack of a catchy hook, same shouty lurching emotive choruses, etc.

fucking kids today, get off my lawn.

Corpsey
06-12-2016, 02:57 PM
I guess it makes sense that rock would be dead. Not only is it a lot more expensive to buy guitars/drums etc. then to download a cracked copy of Ableton or whatever, but it's also pretty limiting on what you can do and to top it all off its all been done before.

MY LIST OF 2016 SONGS I LIKE

2 CHAINZ feat. DRAKE - Big Amount
21 SAVAGE - No Heart
ANDERSON PAAK feat. SCHOOLBOY Q - Am I Wrong
BLAWAN - Communicat 1022 EP
CALL SUPER - Nervous Sex Traffic
CALVIN HARRIS feat. RHIANNA - This Is What U Came For
DRAKE - Hype
DVSN - Too Deep
FANTASIA - No Time For It
FUTURE - Ain't No Time
GUCCI MANE feat. DRAKE - Back On Road
KENDRICK LEMAR - Untitled 07 / levitate
KING - The Right One
KODAK BLACK - Can I
KUEDO - Slow Knife LP
LIL BOOSIE - Black Babies Don't Mourn
MEEK MILL FEAT. TORY LANEZ - Litty
MHD - S/T LP
PARTYNEXTDOOR feat. DRAKE - Come & See Me
PHONTE & ERIC ROBERTSON - It's So Easy
PLIES - Ritz Carlton
RAE SREMMURD - Came A Long Way
REEKADO BANKS - Oluwa Ni (Wemi You)
RIHANNA feat. DRAKE - Work
RO JAMES - Already Knew That
SOLANGE - Don't You Wait
TRIBE CALLED QUEST - Melatonin
UNDERACHIEVERS - It Happened In Flatbush (Mixtape)
YO GOTTI - Down In The DM

THESE AND MORE @ https://open.spotify.com/user/11180051859/playlist/5jIq0NKD86sFw3FLNAW9fH

rubberdingyrapids
06-12-2016, 03:02 PM
NME

10. Charli XCX – ‘After The Afterparty’

9. Lady Leshurr – ‘Where Are You Now?’

8. Skepta – ‘Man’

7. Kanye West – ‘Ultralight Beam’

6. Beyoncé – ‘Formation’

5. Christine & The Queens – ‘Tilted’

4. Iggy Pop – ‘Gardenia’

3. Chance The Rapper – ‘All Night’

2. The 1975 – ‘Somebody Else’

1. Rihanna – ‘Work’

nme isnt really a rock mag anymore though is it?

idk about rolling stone but i suppose it would be hard for them to find rock stuff that is both popular and also has core rock values. obscure rock stuff their readers prob would find too indie. i dont know who reads RS anymore though - i find it hard to tell. theyre prob more okay with modern pop than mojo actually. you wouldnt get nicki minaj on the cover of mojo.

Corpsey
06-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Was it on ILX last year that ppl were saying how depressingly similar all the magazine EOY polls are these days? Like you'd be hard pressed to tell the Rolling Stone list from the FACT list or whatever.

Edit: guess this is an obvious consequence of the internet connecting everything. Everyone who's into music will have heard about and read about the same songs and albums. Whereas once people were more ensconced in their bubble of purchases.

sadmanbarty
06-12-2016, 03:13 PM
It seems like the lifespans of macro-genres have been getting shorter and shorter, with shifts within the macro-genre occurring faster as well.

Classical music was around as a sonic vanguard for hundreds of years. I don't know much about classical music, but I assume that shifts in styles took decades.

Jazz lasted for about 70 years. Earlier on I think different styles of jazz would take 10 to 20 years to evolve, but from 55-75, it was about every 3 or 4.

Rock lasted about 50, and was pretty consistent in evolving every 3-5 years.

Rap and electronic dance music have been around for around 40 years and shifted about ever 5 years through the 80's and 90's. The shifts in the past decade or so have been slower and less drastic. I assume that both are on their last legs as sonic vanguards.

rubberdingyrapids
06-12-2016, 03:14 PM
hopefully mojo will be nothing but rock albums from senior citizens.

luka
06-12-2016, 03:50 PM
First year since birth I haven't heard one rap song that lit my fuse

Corpsey
06-12-2016, 04:34 PM
You know it has been pretty shit in rap music.

Something very drugged and soporific about music these days, it's the same with most of the RNB I selected and 'Black Beatles' e.g.

firefinga
06-12-2016, 10:28 PM
Edit: guess this is an obvious consequence of the internet connecting everything. Everyone who's into music will have heard about and read about the same songs and albums. Whereas once people were more ensconced in their bubble of purchases.

Has never been any different - before the net it was all the same bands/records the music press was writing about. It's just things spread faster these days.

Leo
06-12-2016, 11:42 PM
seems like lots of magazines and blogs approach it (perhaps unconsciously) as "what's the best out of all the stuff that's gotten massive hype/cool hipster cred?" as opposed to simply "what do i think is the best music of the year?". there's always been some overlap but the internet seems to have made it a lot more common.

not that anyone cares about my list, but when i've put them together in the past they tend to be what i listened to and enjoyed the most in the past 12 months, which doesn't necessarily mean just new stuff released in the past year. i usually belatedly discover at least a half-dozen albums from years past that get the most plays at home.

rubberdingyrapids
07-12-2016, 10:37 AM
i think the net has just made music mags much more conscious of how others might see their lists (basically the net has made everyone much more aware of the judgement of others). all the stuff you had already about needing to look cool but X 10.

Something very drugged and soporific about music these days, it's the same with most of the RNB I selected and 'Black Beatles' e.g.

idk about drugginess but i see it as an increased casualisation to how music sounds (maybe an internalised awareness of its place in the culture).

good that this thread has attracted some new/dormant users.

john eden
07-12-2016, 08:16 PM
All Bokeh Versions / Seekers International weird dub gear.

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 10:33 AM
My favourite song that I discovered in 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv9XYxfjTDU

a short list of songs I discovered in 2016 to follow. As others have said, 2016 music was the least of what I listened to in 2016.

craner
08-12-2016, 10:34 AM
I just realised that I could not name one new song from 2016.

luka
08-12-2016, 10:43 AM
I just realised that I could not name one new song from 2016.

I made you listen to cranes in the sky but you were not really bothered

luka
08-12-2016, 10:44 AM
I think you should have paid more attention. It's a good song.

luka
08-12-2016, 10:52 AM
And if someone were to say Luke that song isn't it real it's a mirage it's a simulacrum I'd be inclined to agree, probably, but I also think that ersatz quality is the defining feature of music from this decade. It's not a bug it's a feature as the tech kids say.

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Do you think that this is important?

If you were marooned on an island for the last thirty years and the Solange song washed ashore alongside whatever it's an ersatz version of, could you detect that one was an ersatz version of the other?

Because I'll maroon your sorry ass in a heartbeat to find out.

luka
08-12-2016, 11:15 AM
It's Deckard falling in love with a replicant. This was the video that clued me in, or crystallised a perception
Oneohtrix Point Never - Nobody Here [1:06:07 Edit…: http://youtu.be/43zOwm34hqQ

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Why is it deckard falling in love with a replicant?

actually annoyingly i know what you mean

the mistiness of the production on solange/KING adds to this feeling of listening to echoes of some other music

luka
08-12-2016, 11:18 AM
In that it nailed the feeling of absence. None of this is new of course but I do think it's where we we've ended up. Vapourwave doesn't interest me as music but as diagnosis I do think it's perspicacious. I get the same feeling from the Haim song I'm always referencing. All the pastiche threads I try and fail to get off the ground are really about the same thing.

luka
08-12-2016, 11:20 AM
The replica that is so real you can fall in love with it, the robot which simulates feelings so perfectly you believe it really cares for you.

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 11:20 AM
i think i need to listen to HAIM

I feel like they're some sort of ground zero of all the sort of ethereal floaty rnb/pop shit i like like Laura Groves KING Solange Kelela etc

luka
08-12-2016, 11:21 AM
And I think it's a response to this nonspace of the Internet

luka
08-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Which is why there's all these images taken from early computer games because those were the early nonspaces or simulated spaces that we were immersed in. And that feeling of immersion and hollow yearning they conjure up is so familiar

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Who is the RNB producer shaping everything these days, if any?

Like you had Jam and Lewis then Teddy Riley then Timbaland then the Neptunes etc... Everything sounds a bit like Drake's second album now, dunnit? So maybe Noah Shebib? But then he ripped off Kanye's 808 and hearbreaks right? I dunno why I even care. But the reverb-saturated melancholic sound is everywhere except of course mainstream pop which is all supper bright EDM-y.

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Which is why there's all these images taken from early computer games because those were the early nonspaces or simulated spaces that we were immersed in. And that feeling of immersion and hollow yearning they conjure up is so familiar

yeah but otoh the music doesn't sound like video game music to me, it's all super 'spacious' and floaty, whereas those early games were primary colours, pixel-straight shapes

saying that i think video game music has to be incredibly influential on a certain generation (my generation really). factoring in how difficult it was to hear music you wanted to hear as a kid (expensive CDs, radio only other option), video game music must have been one of the most listened to types of music for ppl of a certain age

luka
08-12-2016, 11:26 AM
You're missing the point

luka
08-12-2016, 11:27 AM
It's a sophisticated and subtle point so that's understandable

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 11:32 AM
To continue to miss the point, is it also that the music is all being produced in soft synths now? I mean, that connection to 'real' instruments is more distant now. It's all digitised. It's the same with video, actually - it's super high definition, so really should feel more 'real', but it actually feels less real, less like something is being filmed than something is being generated.

OK i think i see what you're saying - the 'nonspace' of the internet means engaging with emotions and people at a remove

luka
08-12-2016, 11:49 AM
No, that's not it. Keep trying. It might be I haven't expressed myself carefully enough

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 11:55 AM
We're engaging with emotions that are synthesised replications of the real world. Just as video games synthesise real-world goals.

And the 'real' emotion underlying all this is a profound sadness at how meaningless our half-simulated lives are

WARMER OR COLDER?

luka
08-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Bit crass but yeah we're getting somewhere. Virtual environments virtual rewards

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 12:08 PM
*edit*

I know you'll absolutely love being compared to K Punk - what you're talking about reminds me of KP's review of Drake's album from a few years ago

http://www.electronicbeats.net/started-from-the-bottom-mark-fisher-on-drakes-nothing-was-the-same/

A glacial fatalism runs beneath everything here, and Drake matters because he makes contact—maybe better than anyone else—with the sense of hopelessness that quietly subsists beneath all the twerking and tweeting, all the twitter and the chatter of 21st century culture. Hear this in the gorgeous electro-downer haze that saturates the album and establishes its tone much more than any of the beats. Yet there’s something beyond the fatalism, too. You can hear it in Drake’s signature move—the transition from rap to singing, the slipping down from ego-assertion into a sensual purring, the relaxing into a lasciviousness that has nothing to do with the localized libido and dumb automatisms of phallic sexuality. Down here, there is a glorious release from the pressures of identity. Rave-like, pitched-up vocals are suspended on placid currents of synth. Voices stop being human, become avatars from a space where subjectivity has been left behind like a bad dream.

etc.

BTW sort of on subject, I've lately been seized by the suspicion that you and sadmanbarty are one and the same person. Confirm/deny?

droid
08-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Any simulation sufficiently advanced to be functionally indistinguishable from reality is reality.

Sci-fi 101.

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 12:25 PM
At the vanguard of this, perhaps a progenitor of it: Burial? The frustrated longing, the pastiche of genre, the dehumanised voices, the introversion and artificiality of it all. The birth of the #sadboy? Perhaps not synthetic enough for luka's definition, perhaps also not close enough to the original.

luka
08-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Me and K-plunk are the same person

Corpsey
08-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Conspiracy!

sadmanbarty
08-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Me and K-plunk are the same person

No we're not

rubberdingyrapids
08-12-2016, 02:21 PM
The replica that is so real you can fall in love with it, the robot which simulates feelings so perfectly you believe it really cares for you.

ah, so modern musicians are replicants

CrowleyHead
08-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Rap's been ok, but the problem is rap also has this playpenning. Certain guys are making regular rap as they've always done historically, certain guys just are obvious fantasists and overly referential. Not even talking about the realms of authenticity (which occasionally is a real issue) but like... Quavo and 21 Savage are obviously overtly dedicated to specific strands of trying to sound like Gucci and you could make this argument for #67 and a lot of the Brixton road rap crews who are constantly weighted with #hashtags, not even so much as the old 'hashtag/punchline rap' style but like... Their whole lingo is very obvious oversaturated references to things Chief Keef, Drake or other people say. Every song references another song they've done before, or a catchphrase they've dropped. And the problem is people need the terminology, the hashtags to comprehend... #trap, #key, whatever.

There's something there, but I don't have the comprehension to parse out how to sift through the phenomena. I think we're in a weird period with rap where now they're overburdened with becoming projections. Not that Grime's Rap, but... the Skepta "That's Not Me" vid, and that whole aesthetic for him and other people was a very deliberate saddling with history/legacy and a need to sound like expectations/demands rather than make the music, fulfil the roles and insistence of 'no THIS is who you are' even if that audience might not truly know who these people are or what they're talking about, they just have this myopic internet picture, this screenshot view. They're not actually there yet.

That's the problem with a lot of music in general that everyone's been toying with right? The 'burden of history' and having access to it thanks to the internet. Its a lot harder to live in the moment when the library of Alexandria is always around the corner to undermine your feeling of possibility.

CrowleyHead
08-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Anyway, I have a EOTY list in mind, but today my favorite rap song is still that Cadet "Letter To Krept" record. It's certainly in the post-Drake confessional heart-on-sleeve style, but its so specific to these two people, to perception and relationship. Its got a sense of drama to it in storytelling, the fear, the envy, the mistrust, fully realized emotion you rarely get in a lot of these other rappers who are supposedly so deep but still exude the untouchable air of having to constantly maintain superiority. Its rare you hear records that deal with feeling lesser, or moods of abandonment. "I'm just happy to be in the same race as you/I just wanna share first place with you" is pretty touching.

hucks
08-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Now. I think I joined dissensus in 2006 to post on the Best of 2006 thread which I cannot now find and that's just as well. In the last few years I've listened to less and less new music and that is a genuine sadness to me. This year I got Spotify premium which made it worse as I hadn't paid for anything so there was no real need to listen to anything more than once, to really get to know stuff. Also I can just listen to old stuff instead - Crowley's Burden of History, but for the listener, rather than the artist. So a thing I did to remedy the situation actually made things worse.

The album I've really liked this year is the A Tribe Called Quest one. I also liked One Take Freestyle by Stormzy. I didn't like the Jessy Lanza album as much as I wanted to or thought I would.

Luka's posts on this thread are beautiful, really.

matt b
08-12-2016, 09:16 PM
All Bokeh Versions / Seekers International weird dub gear.

Defo these, plus:

Autechre - El Seq

Equiknoxx - Bird Sound Power

NMO/ Evol stuff on Diagonal

Julius Eastman - Feminine (old, but new)

craner
09-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Do Autechre still sound like a box of cutlery being vigorously shaken or have they started writing tunes again?

droid
09-12-2016, 01:02 PM
This one is a beaut:

https://vimeo.com/171351429

firefinga
09-12-2016, 04:15 PM
I am gonna list only albums here, going chronologically. I enjoyed the following:

*)B12 - Orbiting Souls
*)Wreckless Eric - America
*)David Bowie - Blackstar
*)John Carpenter - Lost Themes II
*)Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression
*)Moderat - III
*)Lone - Levitate
*)Brian Eno - The Ship
*)Baby Metal - Metal Resistance

I'll be adding more

sufi
09-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Album - yoyoyoyoyoyo by spank rock. if you can get beyond the ludicrous sexism it's pretty solid quality, plus the singles and remixes were all awesome. saw them live and they were pretty good fun, too.

burial as well, and actually more so over time. plus i liked the remix of blackdown, and that track on the mary anne hobbs thing might be my track of the year.

biggest disappointment - the dr octagon album. i feel cheated.

So I think this was my first post on this forum. And I don't think I've listened to Spank Rock since 2006. So ignore whatever I write on the Best of 2010 thread, would be my advice.Now. I think I joined dissensus in 2006 to post on the Best of 2006 thread which I cannot now find and that's just as well. In the last few years I've listened to less and less new music and that is a genuine sadness to me. This year I got Spotify premium which made it worse as I hadn't paid for anything so there was no real need to listen to anything more than once, to really get to know stuff. Also I can just listen to old stuff instead - Crowley's Burden of History, but for the listener, rather than the artist. So a thing I did to remedy the situation actually made things worse.

The album I've really liked this year is the A Tribe Called Quest one. I also liked One Take Freestyle by Stormzy. I didn't like the Jessy Lanza album as much as I wanted to or thought I would.
site search could use improving, found this via a convoluted route involving g**gle

Luka's posts on this thread are beautiful, really.hear hear

Corpsey
09-12-2016, 05:08 PM
They didn't look so beautiful to me when he called me a cretin.

sufi
09-12-2016, 05:23 PM
They didn't look so beautiful to me when he called me a cretin.i didnt get to that one yet, :(

luka
09-12-2016, 06:11 PM
They didn't look so beautiful to me when he called me a cretin.

No I didn't!

luka
09-12-2016, 11:03 PM
I feel a sense of panic when I'm being misunderstood. Like I've lost touch with reality. Like I'm on a lilo on the ocean and I've lost sight of shore ;)

CrowleyHead
09-12-2016, 11:35 PM
That was me, but that was like, several threads elsewhere ago. And it was another user. I can't remember which. 2016 has been the year of realizing things elsewhere, but its been the year of me clobbering things @ people here.

mistersloane
10-12-2016, 03:23 PM
I like this, the lyrics are modern :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kGUgAeC9SwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corpsey
12-12-2016, 03:50 PM
http://mixmag.net/feature/top-100-tracks-2016/198

Was expecting to hate this list but there's quite a few good tunes on it. Made me think I should buy that Omar S CD. But who buys CDs anymore?

HEY, I'M GOING TO IBIZA!

Corpsey
15-12-2016, 02:43 PM
The Algorithim Speaks!

The 45 songs I listened to most in 2016 (excluding all classical music)

https://open.spotify.com/user/11180051859/playlist/1WW9iro9DrzLr8qOWaVxjw

mistersloane
16-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Best of 2016 for me

Track of the year : The Monkees - Me and Magdalena
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FfruDTmFDUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Abra - Pull Up
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZvVJx7dcoqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

21 Savage - Savage Mode (whole tape)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0o4lgv5Bag4?list=PLNLvK6x9SO-3LdJn58lkXdpsysrBVn_TT" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Lil Durk - They Forgot mixtape (bits of it)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oB15yi6oBxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Shabazz Palaces - Dawn in Luxor / Forerunner Foray
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4j6TcLiANW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zNXxd3yYDaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The mix between those two tracks on the album was my favourite musical moment of the year, it’s so fucking exqusitley trippy.

Trim - Before I Lied

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/moMc3hZfwxs?list=PLCM2ygIqkjPlhiVq2sJO0fhywXHHWS4E 6" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

67 - Skengman
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6P59ioa2EZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Yes I know it was December last year

The Moonlandingz - Black Hanz
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/joNXjvK2mwc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Fat White Family - Whitest Boy on The Beach
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YKNt_qq6N7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
Yes I know this was last year too.

Cliche Toupee - Farsh/ Antenna
https://clichetoupee.bandcamp.com/track/farsh-antenna-2016-remix

Zetina Mosia - Phaseshift
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kGUgAeC9SwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

luka
16-12-2016, 06:25 PM
A couple of young lads were playing dun talking on the DLR today. Usually that gets on my nerves but I like the song a lot so I was happy to listen. The only thing is that bit 'hello it's me again ' sounds so dopey it almost kills the whole song for me at least till the hook comes back around

Corpsey
16-12-2016, 08:29 PM
What's dun talking

luka
16-12-2016, 08:36 PM
That tune that goes see me dun talking all me dogs them gun Barking woi

Corpsey
16-12-2016, 08:38 PM
I'm kind of ambiguous about British rapping still. Did we talk about this?

Saying that I still love 'talkin the ardest' and that old fekky stuff so shut my mouth if necessary.

luka
16-12-2016, 08:57 PM
I hate British rap it's tje worst

craner
16-12-2016, 09:35 PM
British rap is the worst? Are you mad?

https://youtu.be/2jUMdTXPCQE

Leo
16-12-2016, 11:06 PM
need to launch a holiday season social media outreach campaign to drive it past 1,000 views by year-end.

Corpsey
17-12-2016, 01:18 AM
Christopher Wren

Leo
17-12-2016, 02:35 PM
LOL, friend of a friend on Facebook writes:

That's it... I think I'm canceling my subscription to The Wire: Adventures In Modern Music magazine. This time "Releases of the Year" are just appalling. David Bowie as #1? Really? What if he hasn't passed away? Kanye West? A Tribe Called Quest? Kendrick Lamar? Did anyone even listen to music this year or did the editorial crew just slap on whatever selections supported the subscription? So if Autechre releases an album (even if it's live recordings), it absolutely must be in the top 10? Perhaps only Oren Ambarchi, Ian William Craig, and ok, maybe David Toop (even as a friend of the magazine) deserve a spot in this highlight. Ugh... Sorry for the rant...

luka
17-12-2016, 02:46 PM
It was very middlebrow this year.

Leo
17-12-2016, 03:20 PM
yeah, but it's still funny when a chin-stroking experimental music nerd gets his knickers all in a twist because the wire highlighted kanye or kendrick instead of some obscure derek bailey reissue.

CrowleyHead
17-12-2016, 06:17 PM
http://lyingaboutazaleas.tumblr.com/post/154557300425/rap-end-of-the-year-2016

*yawns*

luka
17-12-2016, 06:24 PM

*yawns*

good list. i gave up this year and missed everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-VnCcy8rM

this is transcendental.

mistersloane
17-12-2016, 07:21 PM
good list. i gave up this year and missed everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-VnCcy8rM

this is transcendental.

It's at best OK. He gets props for getting up before everyone else on the North Peckham estate but

luka
17-12-2016, 07:27 PM
its beautiful.

mistersloane
17-12-2016, 07:33 PM
But actually, the Godrich production on the Radiohead album is the best thing that's happened this year.

mistersloane
17-12-2016, 07:37 PM
its beautiful.

His batman shorts are OK. It's just semiotics, I don't think it's achieving what you're hearing.

luka
17-12-2016, 07:54 PM
How do you know what I'm hearing? It's morning there so you're not even drinking

luka
17-12-2016, 07:57 PM
come back to me later when youve had a little drinky and things are flowing nicely

sadmanbarty
18-12-2016, 12:11 PM
What's dun talking

The breakout star from your 'road rap meets funky thread ting' thread. I wouldn't consider it British rap, it owes too much to dancehall and afrobeats (and arguably grime with those orchestral stabs). It's distinctly british rather than being a poor imitation of music from the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyfwmoGJzNE

mistersloane
18-12-2016, 04:24 PM
come back to me later when youve had a little drinky and things are flowing nicely

Yeah pissed and still don't like it. Am concentrating on what people here and why, and how. So yes, I don't hear what you hear. Is that sad, do you think?

luka
18-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Yes there's something sad about the incommunicable

sadmanbarty
19-12-2016, 05:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVSYMFq1v78

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdftCJDyTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVLziml8jZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJtLmYmpcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBh7iOuv1eg

Corpsey
22-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Top 100 RA Tracks https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2862

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/291303997&amp;color=ff5500&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_relate d=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_rep osts=false"></iframe>

GOD IT'S DULL

Corpsey
22-12-2016, 10:53 AM

*yawns*

Why the yawn?

Thanks for this, so far I've listened to and liked 'Cocoon'.

Corpsey
22-12-2016, 11:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD4HCZe-tew

Bit ashamed I like this.

Music is a bit shit these days IMO

or am I so out of touch?

Blackdown
22-12-2016, 04:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD4HCZe-tew

Bit ashamed I like this.

or am I so out of touch?

I like this tune too. I also like listening to it being out of touch with the R1 playlist-kinda stuff, so you get non of the teen context, just the tune.

rubberdingyrapids
22-12-2016, 04:51 PM
babyfather album is no.1 in the RA list which surprised me, though i would put at the top of my list too, and in fact, i already did so in this post.

sadmanbarty
24-12-2016, 05:23 PM
https://suzianalogue.bandcamp.com/album/zonez-v-2-2

https://suzianalogue.bandcamp.com/album/zonez-v-1

deluxe.flex
02-01-2017, 01:27 AM
I know it's 2017 n all now, but I kept going back to these albums last year

Anderson Paak - Malibu
Chino Amobi - Airport Music for Black Folk
Cardi B - Gangsta Bitch Music Vol 1
ATCQ - We Got it from Here...
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Dawn - Redemption
V/A - The Sound of Durban Vol 1
Seekers International - Lovers Dedication Station

btw is anyone paying attention to 'NON' artists like Chino Amobi, Angel Ho, FAKA etc? I'm still not super well versed on them but I really loved 'Airport Music...'.

m99188868
02-01-2017, 03:26 PM
2016 is the year during which I realised that most, if not all of the constitutive elements of electronic music lost their countercultural value. Quite late, I admit.

sadmanbarty
02-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Stop Stalling's pop remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcpYi--F68U

sadmanbarty
03-01-2017, 09:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DllBIzbWdGg&feature=youtu.be

sadmanbarty
03-01-2017, 01:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GKZapLOufE

firefinga
07-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Bit ashamed I like this.

or am I so out of touch?

It's an ok pop tune. But then I am a bit surprised how NON catchy the melody really is.

firefinga
13-01-2017, 08:52 AM
Some more I liked last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOXXdYtZSbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUEoic7ro_o

Corpsey
13-01-2017, 09:46 AM
It's an ok pop tune. But then I am a bit surprised how NON catchy the melody really is.

I find it as catchy as herpes, personally, but there ya go

sadmanbarty
18-01-2017, 12:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDYEOmYPtkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7YVtN2fILo

sadmanbarty
19-01-2017, 12:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0aCc9e-mQ

firefinga
19-04-2017, 07:38 PM
2016 is the year during which I realised that most, if not all of the constitutive elements of electronic music lost their countercultural value. Quite late, I admit.

Happened to a lot of us, sooner or later. Some say it dawned to them as early as 1997

luka
19-04-2017, 08:18 PM
Woebot currently claiming dance music died in '96

firefinga
19-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Woebot currently claiming dance music died in '96

The year I started to go out ravin' so he might be on the money there. :)