What would people 10 years ago think of music from today?

sufi

lala
or

If you could hear current music 10 years ago, what would you have thought about it?

or any time really, i wonder whether folk (us) from the past would make of music from the future,

808s in '77, breakbeats in '87, if Charlotte Bronte heard Careless Whisper?

eavesdropping-danger.jpg
a theoretical question. obviously, but one which i've often pondered. and a reprise to the 10 years on thread, and maybe a little of the pre-post-punk thread (the high proportion of retro/pastiche shd be discounted from this interesting discussion)

would it be inexplicable? unlistenable? unremarkable?? inspirational? Could we skip shortlived unloved genres (dubstep) by leapfrogging into the future ???

CrowleyHead

Sentencing a bunch of romantic poets to listen to "Venus in Furs" 20 times in a row; Byron throws a fit. The ladies love it.

sadmanbarty

or any time really, i wonder whether folk (us) from the past would make of music from the future,

808s in '77, breakbeats in '87, if Charlotte Bronte heard Careless Whisper?

would it be inexplicable? unlistenable? unremarkable?? inspirational? Could we skip shortlived unloved genres (dubstep) by leapfrogging into the future ???

I often ask my dad (born in 1960) these type of questions.

He says that at the time Kraftwerk, I Feel Love, the first Eurythmics album and Acid Trax/ Acid Over all felt like the future.

I've asked him what he would have thought if he'd heard the following in 1976 and been told the year they came out, all of which he says would have sounded appropriately futuristic:

Jungle

Mikee B & CKP at Garage Nation 2001- he would have thought it was some type of world music, rather than a UK thing

Black Ops Showcase- He would have thought it was an experimental German thing.

Slimzee, Wiley, Dizze, etc. at Sidewinder Peoples Choice awards

Footwork