PDA

View Full Version : Dissensus Convocation

droid
23-01-2017, 03:35 PM
May 26th or 27th, somewhere in London. How about it?

luka
23-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Don't see why not so long as there's no bladed or pointed objects etc around, the usual set of safety precautions, secure venue

luka
23-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Leo and CrowleyHead on Skype conference call from new York.

sufi
23-01-2017, 04:27 PM
yes yes

droid
23-01-2017, 04:28 PM
is it possible to just get a room with some speakers above a pub in London these days, or does it cost a million pounds?

Id be happy with someones living room also. Or a sewer, or desecrated church, whatever works.

craner
23-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Palm Tree, Bow?

droid
23-01-2017, 05:19 PM
Looks nice, but:

"Do not ask for water unless you're looking to make it a very early evening. The owners are unapologetic and will ask you to leave, if you don't quite understand the purpose of a pub."

Im easy on location though, depends on you lot really. Ill be on the govt shilling so can get anywhere. Just figured if we were going to meet up it would be nice to control the music.

I would honestly be happy to sit beside a canal though.

sufi
23-01-2017, 05:33 PM
I can possibly find a space
Byob tho

Palm tree has history for the bloggers contingent

luka
23-01-2017, 05:43 PM
even for some of the jonnycomelatelys
i met mr tea, idle rich and woops! there

Mr. Tea
23-01-2017, 05:48 PM
The Palm Tree would be very nearly the perfect pub, were it not for the No Free Water thing, which I've sadly noticed myself the last time I was there. Tight cunt made me buy a bottle of water even though I was also buying a second round of pints for me and Idle.

Edit: mind you, that was probably about six years ago so I could probably find it in my heart to forgive them. Might bring a big bottle of Evian and conspicuously swig from it in full view of the bar, all the same.

craner
23-01-2017, 07:26 PM
You also can't go in there on a Saturday evening in paint-spattered overalls, as Luke and his brother discovered to their cost once.

You don't have to drink water, though. They have lots of other, better, drinks.

luka
23-01-2017, 07:37 PM
it wasnt the work clothes it was the fact billy fell asleep with his head on the table.

craner
23-01-2017, 07:42 PM
No it was definitely the clothes. The barman told me to ask you to leave, if you remember, precisely because it the locals like to look smart on a Saturday evening. It's their Rat Pack night.

luka
23-01-2017, 07:52 PM
We'd been in there for about ten hours at that point and no one had mentioned clothes. We drank from early afternoon with one lad we know, he reached his limit and left then you turned up and we had a session with you too. All in work clothes.

luka
23-01-2017, 07:53 PM
Then Billy ran outside to vomit and walked into the lake

craner
23-01-2017, 08:04 PM
Fell into the canal, you told me.

craner
23-01-2017, 08:06 PM
I was clearly looking smart enough to be asked to throw you out.

Mr. Tea
23-01-2017, 08:10 PM
I was clearly looking smart enough to be asked to throw you out.

Maybe you just looked a bit like a bouncer?

Mr. Tea
23-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Maybe you just looked a bit like a bouncer?

Or some sort of social care case worker.

luka
23-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Oliver has a very foggy recollection of this important event

luka
23-01-2017, 08:18 PM
It would have been quite serious if he fell into the canal. Would have got more than his feet wet.

craner
23-01-2017, 08:21 PM
That's what you told me, pal! I didn't actually witness the water incident. I was probably still in the pub enjoying my cocktail, having not been ejected for being covered in paint.

luka
23-01-2017, 08:23 PM
Your memory has been eroded by alcohol abuse. Sad.

droid
23-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Yeah... problem is, I dont drink.

But Ill go with it if thats the consensus. Is the Friday night OK for people?

droid
23-01-2017, 10:47 PM
I am intrigued by Sufi's 'room' though.

sufi
23-01-2017, 11:01 PM
that's ok :)

droid
24-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Cold feet.

Had a very unpleasant experience here. Went with a group of friends, all bought drinks, however after my boyfriend and I had put our empties on the bar we were aggressively confronted and physically shoved by the landlord who demanded we buy drinks or leave. After defending us and showing their half full drinks our friends and we were all turned out. It seemed we were picked on for being a gay couple as it was when we were standing together at the bar that the barman confronted us. In summary a very unpleasant experience of physically aggressive and homophobic publican- do not go here.

This evening was the final straw. I went in to buy a pint and use the toilet, however because I had been sitting on Regent’s Canal (which my flat backs onto and the pub overlooks) – enjoying the live music from a travelling band & having a drink with my fiancé & our dog – I was told, in no uncertain terms, that “we don’t need your type”.
I tried to reason that I was not just coming in to use to facilities, instead I was hoping to buy a drink (& also was a local who comes to the pub a lot), however I was again refused service. Not only could I not use the toilet, I was barred from purchasing anything from the bar.
I wish I could say this was an isolated incident, however neither I nor anyone I have spoken to has had a pleasant experience in the pub.

I was illegally refused tap water too (see https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-licensing , providing free tap water on request is a mandatory licensing condition since 2010) , and dared to report them to the licensing authority. And that is exactly what I will be doing, I am usually easy going but there are some things I won't stand for: I have never been either refused tap water in a pub before, nor treated so rudely and ignorently by a publican - who first pretended not to hear my request, then lied about the law, then moaned about the cost of mains water and all manner of excuses for not meeting her legal responsibilities as a licensee - and this treatment completely overshadowed the positive aspects of the establishment (traditional décor, nice cider, nice surroundings), as well as convincing me not to buy the second drink I may well have bought.

Yes, the pub has character and live music sometimes but service is abysmal. If you'd like to be in a cash-only, homophobic, unhygienic and sing-along 1950s atmosphere, you will feel at home. I love old east end music but it's just not worth it.

luka
24-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Internet reviews are not always a trustworthy source of intelligence.

luka
24-01-2017, 10:32 AM
They've been plagued with passive aggressive, entitled middle class provincials slumming it for a few years in London before they can afford a mortgage in Surrey. These people should be made to feel unwelcome. It's how you preserve the character of your establishment. It's true they kicked me and my brother out once in 2004 but we were very very very drunk. Otherwise they've always been perfect.

luka
24-01-2017, 10:35 AM
They don't have a problem with anyone who's not acting like a Dick. Craner would go in there with his Michael Heseltine hair, blazer, bootcut jeans and insist on drinking wine and they treated him just like anybody else cos he behaved himself.

droid
24-01-2017, 11:12 AM
ye-ah, Im just not to fond of pubs to begin with, and this sounds like the pubbiest pub in existence.

The main priority is that people show up and enjoy themselves, but my ideal venue would be a quietish, not too raucous or crowded room, that may or may not serve drinks.

luka
24-01-2017, 11:33 AM
only thing i could think of that would fufil those critera are someones home or squatting an area of the barbican or royal festival hall

sufi
24-01-2017, 11:44 AM
well i just have this non-intriguing space in my workplace near old st
no winkles on the bar
no bar

sufi
24-01-2017, 11:51 AM
come and inspect, Luka?

luka
24-01-2017, 11:55 AM
id be happy to sufi although i dont thnk venue is very important. more vital to get as many clashing personalities and weirdos in the same room and enjoy the results.

Woebot
24-01-2017, 12:11 PM
yep.

Mr. Tea
24-01-2017, 12:12 PM
They've been plagued with passive aggressive, entitled middle class provincials slumming it for a few years in London before they can afford a mortgage in Surrey. These people should be made to feel unwelcome. It's how you preserve the character of your establishment. It's true they kicked me and my brother out once in 2004 but we were very very very drunk. Otherwise they've always been perfect.

Maybe so, but if the landlord turfed out two guys for being a couple then that's unacceptable in a pretty absolute way, isn't it?

droid
24-01-2017, 12:23 PM
They'd better fucking approve my conference request now, thats all I can say.

Would like the option of Sufi's room investigated pls. Check for trapdoors etc.

luka
24-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Maybe so, but if the landlord turfed out two guys for being a couple then that's unacceptable in a pretty absolute way, isn't it?

he didnt

Mr. Tea
24-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Huh? I'm missing something here. Was droid posting reviews of a different pub?

droid
24-01-2017, 01:09 PM
No, its the same pub. Multiple reports of homophobia. Plenty of good reviews too, but the bad ones seem credible. Not serving water strikes right to my decrepit raver sensibilities.

http://www.timeout.com/london/bars-pubs/palm-tree

Mr. Tea
24-01-2017, 01:21 PM
We should all mince in there, hand in hand, and demand free water. In cocktail glasses with little umbrellas in them.

martin
25-01-2017, 12:23 PM
No way! The Palm Tree is SHIT :o

I've only been there twice. First time, some old bloke in a leather jacket spent all night stalking me, hassling me to buy coke and trying to impress on me that he was some ICF 'top boy'. Second time was the Dissensus meet-up, where Pearsall bet I couldn't do the Dog Eat Dog drum pattern - but when I got on the drumkit, some old bitch from behind the bar started screaming at me. The beer was piss as well; might as well have been tap water for all you non-drinkers.

Plus you have to walk up the Roman Road and then go through a park to get there. Fuck the Palm Tree.

droid
25-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Do you have any pics of your garden of delights Sufi?

sufi
25-01-2017, 12:44 PM
yes i do,
I don't have pics of the meeting rooms tho
(they are featureless and boring looking, there is a moderately unattractive outdoors space attached)

I'm not 100% convinced that this will be an ideal match. Luka may be able to convince me

luka
25-01-2017, 12:44 PM
No way! The Palm Tree is SHIT :o

I've only been there twice. First time, some old bloke in a leather jacket spent all night stalking me, hassling me to buy coke and trying to impress on me that he was some ICF 'top boy'. Second time was the Dissensus meet-up, where Pearsall bet I couldn't do the Dog Eat Dog drum pattern - but when I got on the drumkit, some old bitch from behind the bar started screaming at me. The beer was piss as well; might as well have been tap water for all you non-drinkers.

Plus you have to walk up the Roman Road and then go through a park to get there. Fuck the Palm Tree.

yeah they dont like 'characters' or people making a scene. its a pub for normal people to have a drink.

martin
25-01-2017, 12:50 PM
yeah they dont like 'characters' or people making a scene. its a pub for normal people to have a drink.

You were on piano

droid
25-01-2017, 12:53 PM
lol. Martin, do you have any suggestions of a nice quiet pub, not too cramped, OK music, chilled staff, centralish?

luka
25-01-2017, 12:54 PM
You were on piano

sounds beleivable. thats why i dont go there anymore

luka
25-01-2017, 12:56 PM
we're going to do it in the stationary supply cupboard in sufis office.

Mr. Tea
25-01-2017, 01:25 PM
lol. Martin, do you have any suggestions of a nice quiet pub, not too cramped, OK music, chilled staff, centralish?

You have, er, been to London before, right?

droid
25-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Ye-ah... :poop:

craner
25-01-2017, 08:45 PM
There is nothing wrong with The Palm Tree, the idea that it's some homophobic den of hate is absurd. It has its rules sure, but it's quite hard to break them unless you are being an idiot. I could saunter in on my own on a quiet week night, sprawl the Herald Tribune over the bar and nurse a glass of wine. Not only was I never kicked out, the landlord and Lady would invariably engage me in pleasant conversation. It's not that hard to enjoy this lovely pub.

luka
25-01-2017, 09:14 PM
if you act like a dickhead they kick you out. if you don't, they don't. simple really.

craner
25-01-2017, 09:32 PM
That 'old bitch' is actually a very nice woman.

droid
26-01-2017, 12:11 AM
homophobic den of hate

This is all I took from that post.

droid
26-01-2017, 12:32 AM
A homophobic den of hate staffed by an ogre & a harridan who spit in the face of those seeking water and violently abuse and eject musicians and the common working man.

Its like the most anti-dissensus venue imaginable. I can see why you picked it.

Mr. Tea
26-01-2017, 09:25 AM
A homophobic den of hate staffed by an ogre & a harridan who spit in the face of those seeking water and violently abuse and eject musicians and the common working man.

Its like the most anti-dissensus venue imaginable. I can see why you picked it.

Wait till you hear their opinion of the Iraq invasion!

luka
26-01-2017, 09:42 AM
WE'RE NOT GOING THERE ANYWAY BUT FOR THE RECORD IT WAS ONE OF THE GREAT PUBS OF LONDON AND ITS BETTER WITHOUT YOU WEIRDOS AND NERDS GOING THERE ANYYWAY COS IT IS A PUB FOR NORMAL PEOPLE LIKE ME TO DRINK NORMALLY WITH OTHER NORMAL PEOPLE NOT WHINGING FLOUNCING PROVINCIAL PEOPLE WITH POTATO FACES WHO DONT UNDERSTAND THE AGE OLD WAYS AND LORE OF EAST LONDON

craner
26-01-2017, 11:02 AM
I guess we could all sit in a room listening to Droid's reggae records and drinking water instead. Sounds like awesome fun.

john eden
26-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Second time was the Dissensus meet-up, where Pearsall bet I couldn't do the Dog Eat Dog drum pattern - but when I got on the drumkit, some old bitch from behind the bar started screaming at me. The beer was piss as well; might as well have been tap water for all you non-drinkers.

Was this also the occasion when you got smacked in the face by another attendee when we got the bus afterwards? Weird night.

john eden
26-01-2017, 01:35 PM
I'm out of the promotions game, so will be of no use.

My local has a lovely big room upstairs where you can control the music. But they want a grand bar spend - which is probably going some for us now that Martin has mellowed with age.

droid
26-01-2017, 11:15 PM
I think we may have found a compromise venue. Not planning on bringing any reggae this time.

john eden
27-01-2017, 09:22 AM
I think we may have found a compromise venue. Not planning on bringing any reggae this time.

Strictly Drone and Musique Concrete pon the Droid sound in this time.

Mr. Tea
27-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Strictly Drone

Should definitely be on TV. With Ed Balls listening to Sunn 0))) while pulling a shamanic mong-face.

CrowleyHead
27-01-2017, 01:31 PM
I think by May 27 I'm off study so I could even fly out just to harass you fogeys in public.

So if any of you work in the Department of Immigration, now's a good time to put me on a No Fly list.

luka
27-01-2017, 01:42 PM
you should. then there would be two straight edge people in attendance. corpsey wont come becasue he is very timid and never leaves his village.

droid
03-02-2017, 10:51 PM
Lads - what do we think about days.

Friday evening is my preference as I had plans to depart your doomed city on Saturday, but I could rearrange things. What do the rest of you ingrates say?

IdleRich
06-03-2017, 03:35 AM
So what was the upshot with this? I'm definitely up for a meeting but do we have a definite place and, especially, date so that I don't accidentally plan something else on the same day?

droid
06-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Been off the boil. Will update this week. We have a place I think. Date will be May 26th if it goes ahead.

IdleRich
06-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Been off the boil. Will update this week. We have a place I think. Date will be May 26th if it goes ahead.
Well date is most important thing and it's far enough ahead that I've no excuse. I will make a note in my diary.

catalog
06-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Can we have one in manchester please?

WebEschatology
07-03-2017, 10:38 PM
i'm up for a pow wow but i'm in Wood Green so yeah can understand people not wanting to make the journey here

luka
29-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Who plans things this far into the distant future?

droid
02-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Normal people!

But alas, Im sorry to report that I didnt get approved for the conference due to some bullshit work politics. Change is afoot here so Im going to try again for later in the year - September/October, and it should work this time.

Sorry I didnt mention this sooner, confirmation was fairly recent. I urge you all to meet up anyway, if only to mock John Eden's quotidian reasonableness, give Tea the beating he deserves and to gaze in wonder at Martin's godlike physique.