PDA

View Full Version : It's great when you're straight

luka
28-01-2017, 10:31 AM
I prefer being straight I think. Us '90s people grew up thinking we had to be fucked up every day. It's hard for us to learn how to live straight. Mind you, I owe drugs a lot. They definitely make you more intelligent and cultivated.

Corpsey
28-01-2017, 01:01 PM
I often worry these days about whether or not I should give up weed. It's bad for me in all sorts of ways but it's also (and I know this sounds sort of pathetic) a religious experience for me being stoned sometimes. I see things differently stoned, both more childishly and more profoundly. When doing an MA I had most of my good ideas for essays and what have you when stoned. Visual art and music in particular become more vivid and miraculous to me when stoned. Finally, I write better when I'm stoned. To paraphrase Hemingway 'write stoned; edit sober'.

As for other drugs, I do cocaine a fair amount cos my friends do. It's okay. Pretty pointless though. I love a good hallucinogenic trip from time to time. MDMA is always fun but it's the comedowns that put me off. A nine to five is depressing enough without that to deal with.

I enjoy drinking but it quickly turns sour for me.

I can't imagine anything worse than being fucked up all the time.

luka
28-01-2017, 01:03 PM
dont give it up if its still a religious expereince. i gave it up cos our relationship broke down and became dysfunctional.
if it was still like that i would still do it.

Corpsey
28-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Oh our relationship certainly is dysfunctional, just as soon as I don't have a book or a film or music or whatever to contemplate. When I'm lying in the dark for example, trying to go to sleep.

I like getting a bit stoned and walking around London. Again, the huge buildings become miraculous and strange. The 'ordinary' becomes extraordinary. I'm being a bit over the top, I suppose, but it recently occurred to me that that I probably won't stop doing it for a long time. Although every night is too much. You've got to ration out the eternal.

yyaldrin
28-01-2017, 03:29 PM
I prefer being straight I think. Us '90s people grew up thinking we had to be fucked up every day. It's hard for us to learn how to live straight. Mind you, I owe drugs a lot. They definitely make you more intelligent and cultivated.

Isn't it boring?

yyaldrin
28-01-2017, 03:37 PM
I think i'll go with only drinking and taking drugs in the summer. I found it impossible in winter because of lack of daylight.

luka
28-01-2017, 03:47 PM
It can be boring. You have to cultivate good habits. Thats why it's difficult. I cope by never leaving the house, downloading Japanese percussion based albums and looking at memes.

luka
28-01-2017, 03:48 PM
I think i'll go with only drinking and taking drugs in the summer. I found it impossible in winter because of lack of daylight.

What do you mean only? What else is there?

luka
28-01-2017, 03:52 PM
I've downloaded about 40 gb of music in the last week. And I've seen every meme.

Benny B
28-01-2017, 03:56 PM
I've downloaded about 40 gb of music in the last week. And I've seen every meme.

...because you stopped smoking weed?

luka
28-01-2017, 04:06 PM
I stopped smoking weed years ago and replaced it with alcohol. I've stopped drinking

Benny B
28-01-2017, 04:29 PM
I stopped smoking weed years ago and replaced it with alcohol. I've stopped drinking

ah, that makes more sense. Did you find quitting smoking weed easy?

Barring the odd day off I smoke weed and drink every day, have done for the last 15 years or so. I can see myself giving up weed, at least, within the next couple of years or so - ie; when I've got a job with more regular hours and responsibilities. But for that to realistically happen I'll have to give up tobacco competely I think. Whenever I've had time off smoking weed I've felt more stoned than when I was smoking it! And I turn into an insufferably grumpy, hyper-sensitive bastard, though I guess (I hope) this wears off pretty quickly after a couple of weeks. The main 2 reasons why I want to give up in the near future are to set a better example to my son and a fear of lung cancer tbh - otherwise I'm fairly guilt free for the moment, lol!

I definitely strongly associated getting stoned with enjoying music from an early age, which is probably the main reason why I've never given up. Bit silly really...

One thing I'm much happier to have stopped is binge drinking, which fucks you up the most I reckon. Since I started living in Spain where there are 3-4 bars on every street and good weather, I'll go out and have 2 or three beers every night, or when I stay in I'll have a couple of glasses of red. but I definitely don't miss the days of not drinking during the week, then going out every weekend and drinking heavily 2 nights on the trot and feeling like shit for the rest of the week - much better to space it out.

Benny B
28-01-2017, 04:34 PM
I'm currently having a crafty bifter and a glass of rioja and listening to E2-E4 on headphones while my son's having a siesta. This is the life!

luka
28-01-2017, 04:36 PM
I only stopped because I stopped enjoying it, although I carried on for years after it had become a chore. I found I had to give up multiple times before it stuck. The first time was very difficult. Each time the withdrawal is easier. Everyone gets moody when they stop. You just have to stick with it. Hope you don't alienate the people around you permanently.

Benny B
28-01-2017, 04:44 PM
I only stopped because I stopped enjoying it, although I carried on for years after it had become a chore. I found I had to give up multiple times before it stuck. The first time was very difficult. Each time the withdrawal is easier. Everyone gets moody when they stop. You just have to stick with it. Hope you don't alienate the people around you permanently.

Well that's encouraging, thank you.

So much has to do with the context. When I went back to England last summer for a month I didn't smoke weed for the whole time and didn't even think about it because I was out of the daily routine, it was easy. Maybe next summer I'll do the same then just stop for good.

luka
28-01-2017, 05:17 PM
I'm being a bit over the top, I suppose

underplaying it if anything. it can be a profound and transformative experience.

Lichen
30-01-2017, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE fear of lung cancer.[/QUOTE]

Vape.

Corpsey
30-01-2017, 10:42 AM
One thing about weed is that I think people smoke too much (myself included).

If I have one or two tokes of a spliff I can be stoned for five/six hours afterwards. But ordinarily, of course, I smoke a whole spliff, and then I'm unable to sleep.

It's so powerful these days, perhaps that's the issue.

luka
30-01-2017, 10:46 AM
It's not too strong it's too moreish

Mr. Tea
30-01-2017, 10:57 AM
It can be pretty strong, that's not really arguable. Good hash is much nicer than skunk but of course you have to know someone who sells the stuff.

luka
30-01-2017, 11:25 AM
lol is it fuck. dirty hippy shit. munter drug. smoke skunk or dont smoke is my rule.

luka
30-01-2017, 11:28 AM
my point was if its strong it should be possible to smoke less and the strength isnt an issue, like with spirits. the problem is that its moreish partly because it tastes delicious and partly becasue the crash is quite full on so you want to keep topped up

Corpsey
30-01-2017, 11:31 AM
You're right about it being delicious. That's the problem, you wanna pack as much in as you can but then it knocks your head off.

I'd like it to taste the same but be cheaper and of around 25% the strength.

Benny B
30-01-2017, 11:46 AM
lol is it fuck. dirty hippy shit. munter drug. smoke skunk or dont smoke is my rule.

nah, much prefer hash me

andalucia is just across from morocco so the hash I get here is much better quality than the green. Dark and soft, you can roll it out with your fingers.

but even with top quality skunk, I still prefer nice hash. Like corpsey says, I can't sleep after smoking skunk and still feel stoned when I get up in the morning. Plus hash lasts me longer, which is a big factor when you're skint.

Benny B
30-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Vape.

NEVER!

Mr. Tea
30-01-2017, 12:14 PM

Rubbish. You've obviously never had the good stuff. It ain't all soapbar you know.

I'd like it to taste the same but be cheaper and of around 25% the strength.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried just rolling spliffs with around less 75% weed in them?

Corpsey
30-01-2017, 12:33 PM
My eyes are bigger than my stomach/lungs.

Mr. Tea
30-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Be well lol if that were literally true.

luka
30-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Lol at never had the good stuff. Last time I saw you your hash stank of henna. Hash is a dirty drug. The fact that Spanish crusties love it is all the proof you need. Do you want to get a rats tail and start listening to acid tekno as well? Behave yourselves.

luka
30-01-2017, 12:45 PM
The Spanish have no standards.

Mr. Tea
30-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Lol at never had the good stuff. Last time I saw you your hash stank of henna. Hash is a dirty drug.

That wasn't great stuff. I used to get much better hash than that but it was years ago, when I still lived in London. I've smoked it in Lebanon too, and if it's going to be good anywhere it'll be good there.

Benny B
30-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Lol luka. I swear weve already had this convo on here before.

Fwiw i share ur contempt for rat-tailed crusties to a certain degree (not just spanish ones though), but morrocan hash is a quality product.

Corpsey
30-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Hash in Amsterdam is lovely. Nothing like the horrible stuff we used to smoke in school.

luka
31-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Ask yourself this question- how many rappers do hear obsessing over different varieties of hash? Yes exactly thank you

Mr. Tea
31-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Yeah but a lot of those guys drink 'malt liquor', whatever the fuck that is, and get high on cough syrup mixed with fizzy pop. So I dunno if they should be taken as the ultimate arbiters of the good things in life.

luka
31-01-2017, 09:22 AM
No one gets high more than rappers. Rappers are the authority in these matters.

sadmanbarty
31-01-2017, 11:10 AM
No one gets high more than rappers. Rappers are the authority in these matters.

Their pockets fatter. Fuck with them and your head gets splattered. They'll leave you in tatters.

Benny B
31-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Ask yourself this question- how many rappers do hear obsessing over different varieties of hash? Yes exactly thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzx0HTCuydg

Corpsey
31-01-2017, 11:39 AM
I think Goldie Lookin Chain are still my favourite UK Hip-Hop act of all time.

Benny B
31-01-2017, 11:39 AM
actually, does soapbar even exist any more? Haven't seen or smoked any since like, the 90s.

luka
31-01-2017, 11:45 AM
theres basically no difference between goldie lookign chain and 90% of the high focus roster

Corpsey
22-02-2017, 05:44 PM
When did Britain stop being a nation of hedonists?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/22/when-did-britain-stop-being-a-nation-of-hedonists?

empty mirror
24-02-2017, 11:39 AM
i've pretty much stopped buying herb but nevertheless it finds me every now and again
my thing is, i never ration it, so when i have it, i smoke it till it is gone - like all day every day
if i could just have two puffs every now and again, that would be perfect

i shroom on major holidays, so only once every few months
increasingly less, i admit

microdosing is where it is at
just a bit to make the edges a little sparkly
and a touch of the HD vision

luka
24-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Microdosing is fine if you want to read a book or perhaps go to a gallery but it doesn't get you through the gate, just milling about in the courtyard, which can be frustrating. Depends what mood you're in.

empty mirror
24-02-2017, 01:50 PM
i don't always want a peek behind the curtain

Corpsey
24-02-2017, 01:59 PM
I had an intense ket trip at a festival last year (semi accidentally) and the best thing about the whole experience was waking up sober the next day. The experience gave me an intense sense of gratitude for sanity. I wonder if that's why it functions as an antidepressant?

empty mirror
24-02-2017, 02:32 PM
that's a big takeaway for me after an intenser than expected trip.
so happy that everything is back in its right place.

Corpsey
06-03-2017, 10:25 AM
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-02/the-case-for-eating-weed-at-work

'With recreational marijuana now legal in eight states and the District of Columbia, users have gravitated to low-dose edibles, such as brownies and mints with THC content of less than 5 milligrams—low enough for a manageable high for first-time users. Often, companies market these products to first-time users or those with low tolerances. But weed sellers have found another use case for low-dose edibles: microdosing.

Microdosing refers to regularly taking small amounts of drugs—generally, hard-to-get and illegal psychoactive ones, such as LSD or psychedelic mushrooms—throughout the day to boost creativity. Taken in such small quantities, the drugs don't make users trip. Rather, people claim the drugs improve their concentration, problem-solving abilities, creativity, and productivity and reduce their anxiety.'

Corpsey
06-03-2017, 10:27 AM
I'm really into this idea. One toke = a microdose of sorts and that's usually enough to keep me happily hazy for a few hours, rather than incapable of leaving the house for fear of stranger danger.

luka
06-03-2017, 10:35 AM
i read that recently too. i think the tendency is always for intake to take an upward trajectory over time regardless of good intentions. at least if youre like me anyway.

ive had two big booze and coke blowouts this year but otherwise keeping on the straight and narrow and feeling smug about it.

muser
06-03-2017, 12:17 PM
I'm pretty sure drugs have made me more stupid, or rather, doing way too many in my teens probably had long-term affects. There was some study about permanently impaired cognition the guardian wrote an article about recently. Although I doubt it was randomized double-blind.. it's probably quite likely that stupid people do more drugs when they should be getting history degrees or whatever. Regardless now i'm in my 30's I feel it's definitely time to give it a rest, still not sure how people socialize effectively without drugs though? playing Uno? all seems a bit weird.

catalog
06-03-2017, 12:46 PM
I've stopped on everything (alcohol, cigarettes, drugs) for about 7 months.
Gotta say I don't feel that much healthier.
Altho I have more leisure time now, so I'm getting into sport for the first time in what feels like years.
Main thing I've noticed is that I can save money.
I think that's the thing really - particularly the booze/fags thing, it just feels like a tax more than anything else.

HMGovt
06-03-2017, 05:37 PM
I've stopped on everything (alcohol, cigarettes, drugs) for about 7 months.
Gotta say I don't feel that much healthier.
Altho I have more leisure time now, so I'm getting into sport for the first time in what feels like years.
Main thing I've noticed is that I can save money.
I think that's the thing really - particularly the booze/fags thing, it just feels like a tax more than anything else.

Try knocking carbohydrates on the head too. That makes a big difference to health, weight, stamina, appetite, concentration, life expectancy.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/09/26/nutritional-ketosis-benefits.aspx

Mr. Tea
06-03-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm really into this idea. One toke = a microdose of sorts and that's usually enough to keep me happily hazy for a few hours, rather than incapable of leaving the house for fear of stranger danger.

Call me crazy, but an occasional light dose of an opiate is a great way to get a steady buzz that's more like a general sense of ease and wellbeing (as opposed to an off-your-tits rush) and that leaves you compos mentis and functional. Of course you need to exercise self control so that the doses don't become un-light and un-occasional.

entertainment
23-03-2017, 12:31 AM
Has anyone here (or do anyone here know anyone) that has successfully kept a moderate coke habit for a longer period of time? I enjoy taking it at clubs or bars primarily because it gets me into situations, conversations and brief romantic relationships that I wouldn't have unlocked otherwise. However an upswing the amount I intake over a longer period will always make me recklessly susceptible of fierce mood swings while on it. This sort of event is usually followed by a downswing in the cycle until the next time someone or something provokes the appetite.

These mood swings, although constantly looming above me, need some sort of concrete trigger, and the fucked up thing is that this role is almost always played by the changing of the song that's playing. So there I am, coked up, talking to some hot girl in great detail about the new glass-jar ficus bonsai tree i just got, that has its own eco-system, totally oblivious to the fact that in about ten seconds the v-neck t-shirt wearing dj will fade in 50 Cent's 'Candy Shop' and the only thing I'll be going home with is a fucking kebab.

yyaldrin
25-04-2017, 10:08 AM

How long have you not had any alcohol by now? Is/was it difficult? I'm curious.

luka
25-04-2017, 10:19 AM
Haven't had a beer since 11pm last night.

yyaldrin
25-04-2017, 10:27 AM
Well, it's a start I guess.

luka
05-05-2017, 04:30 AM
I do remember a few spots along the road where I've become absolutely tired of myself. And this is a big one. These moments have always been a huge generator for change. And I'm quite grateful for it. But me, personally, I can't remember a day since I got out of college when I wasn't boozing or had a spliff, or something. Something. And you realize that a lot of it is, um—cigarettes, you know, pacifiers. And I'm running from feelings. I'm really, really happy to be done with all of that. I mean I stopped everything except boozing when I started my family. But even this last year, you know—things I wasn't dealing with. I was boozing too much. It's just become a problem. And I'm really happy it's been half a year now, which is bittersweet, but I've got my feelings in my fingertips again. I think that's part of the human challenge: You either deny them all of your life or you answer them and evolve.

baboon2004
05-05-2017, 07:04 AM
That's an interesting line of thought. It's at the same time very simple, in the sense that it can be expressed clearly and concisely, and one of the most profound personal realisations there is.

I feel similarly, although not explicitly in terms of using physical substances (so maybe this is a bit of a thread derail). I've always kept myself away from those drugs that I know I would like too much, aside from ecstasy - I could handle that one just fine whilst really enjoying it. Alcohol I used to have issues with, but a health scare made me give up for three months (which I doubted I could achieve) and I never went back to boozing in the same way afterwards. I use patterns of behaviour, wasting time, in the same way - sometimes involving substances to dull unruly thought, sometimes not. I'm tired of yoking myself to the same old ways of avoiding difficult feelings - sometimes while at the same time deluding myself that I'm emotionally open, and that there aren't parts of me that I keep tightly locked away.

As you say, it's when you get tired and bored of yourself that change occurs. Doesn't really matter what anyone else urges you to do (although some people can have persuasive ways of phrasing the urge), it requires you to come to that point where you're a bit sick of yourself, and a bit sick of returning to making the same choices which don't really work.

Lichen
05-05-2017, 09:31 AM
I do remember a few spots along the road where I've become absolutely tired of myself. And this is a big one. These moments have always been a huge generator for change. And I'm quite grateful for it. But me, personally, I can't remember a day since I got out of college when I wasn't boozing or had a spliff, or something. Something. And you realize that a lot of it is, um—cigarettes, you know, pacifiers. And I'm running from feelings. I'm really, really happy to be done with all of that. I mean I stopped everything except boozing when I started my family. But even this last year, you know—things I wasn't dealing with. I was boozing too much. It's just become a problem. And I'm really happy it's been half a year now, which is bittersweet, but I've got my feelings in my fingertips again. I think that's part of the human challenge: You either deny them all of your life or you answer them and evolve.

I thought Brad's confessional was great.

luka
05-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Yep. Brad in GQ. Glad someone besides me keeps abreast of current affairs

Lichen
05-05-2017, 12:31 PM
He must of written a blank cheque to his therapist.
That kind of self-knowledge doesn't come cheap.

firefinga
05-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Millions of people in the western world on anti depressants. Me thinks, that's the most common drug(s) these days.

IdleRich
05-05-2017, 01:38 PM
As you say, it's when you get tired and bored of yourself that change occurs. Doesn't really matter what anyone else urges you to do (although some people can have persuasive ways of phrasing the urge), it requires you to come to that point where you're a bit sick of yourself, and a bit sick of returning to making the same choices which don't really work.
In Infinite Jest there is all that stuff about recovering drug addicts and they talk a lot about reaching the bottom. I guess that comes from some Twelve Step Programme or something but it's probably a universal thing and I reckon it's roughly what you're talking about here. Of course with seriously unhappy addicts (and especially in that book) the bottom is normally something much more dramatic like realising you've killed your family or whatever - whereas with someone generally healthier and more in control then hopefully that bottom which causes you to get a hold of yourself and turn things around is not gonna be so horrific. But it's the same idea right?

luka
05-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Yes, same thing although as lichen says that was Brad Pitt in GQ not me.

Mr. Tea
05-05-2017, 03:53 PM
We should have a thread where luka posts a paragraph at a time and we have to guess whether it's his own writing or he's quoting a Hollywood A-lister baring their soul in a glossy magazine.

baboon2004
05-05-2017, 06:39 PM
I thought Brad was spot on. Though the photoshoot was less so.

firefinga
28-05-2017, 11:24 AM
I grew up in the country,and after years living in a city I have gone back. Which made me aware of how much knowledge has gone lost regarding herbs and mushrooms as means for both healing and intoxication. A mate of mine is some sort of a specialist in these fields and knows tons about what herbs n mushrooms are edible and furthermore could give you a proper rush. Definitely a field I have an interest in and worth investing time n effort in.

Corpsey
13-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Wellness in dance music

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3095

Yoga, meditation and sober morning raves—as time goes on, healthy living becomes evermore present in club culture. Angus Finlayson considers the implications.

Mr. Tea
13-11-2017, 10:08 PM
I grew up in the country,and after years living in a city I have gone back. Which made me aware of how much knowledge has gone lost regarding herbs and mushrooms as means for both healing and intoxication. A mate of mine is some sort of a specialist in these fields and knows tons about what herbs n mushrooms are edible and furthermore could give you a proper rush. Definitely a field I have an interest in and worth investing time n effort in.

As an avid forager, this amuses me because there is a ton of 'traditional country wisdom' about mushrooms, nearly all of which is total horseshit and could potentially get you killed.

Edit: at least in the UK where wild mushrooms are not widely traditionally eaten - I daresay old wives in France or Poland or wherever may have more reliable myco-lore than exists here.

firefinga
14-11-2017, 03:57 PM
As an avid forager, this amuses me because there is a ton of 'traditional country wisdom' about mushrooms, nearly all of which is total horseshit and could potentially get you killed.

Edit: at least in the UK where wild mushrooms are not widely traditionally eaten - I daresay old wives in France or Poland or wherever may have more reliable myco-lore than exists here.

Don't worry, I am aware of the BS-"folk myths" regarding natural narcotics/poisons and the real deal knowledge some of those herb-nerds seem to have.

One of my fav from my own childhood: the hornet death-formula: three hornet stings kill a man, seven a horse :crylarf: