Dora The Explorer!

Woebot

Was listening to the new Ludacris track on the way home:

"I'm an explorer like Dora,
But Swiper can't swipe me"

Nearly crashed the car. Luda MUST have little kids. My three year old is mad for Dora the Explorer. In the UK you can catch it on Nick Jr. I just adore it. Dora's voice is, well you have to hear it, so perfect. The songs are great too:

"Come on, vamanos, everybody lets go!"

Dora is this plucky little 5 year-old chiquita who goes on ADVENTURES. She rescues the little Jaguar from the waterfall. She gets granny a chocolate tree. She finds a present for her baby puppy.

Dora has a pet monkley called Boots. Boots says "I love you Dora". Dora talks to the camera:

"What was your favourite bit of our adventure?"

__REALLY BIG PAUSE___ Lulu shouts at the TV.

"Oh I liked that part too!"

Dora is full of oddities. The Festival trio, a Frog, snail and slug who appear when she has completed each of her three tasks and play a little triumphal fanfare on tiny instruments (SOOOOO Jim Woodring!) Then there is Backpack who after he's produced the item Dora needs (for example, a spare tyre for Esa the Iguana!) eats everything else: "Yum yum yum, delicioso!" And Swiper the fox! "Swiper no swiping!"

Everything is spoken in a mixture of Spanish and English, which for us Brits is plain weird. Lulu, my baby girl is now always coming out with Spainsh words: Arriba, Abaho, Sienna. Even occasionally words which we dont know the meaning of! Woops!

At the end of each show Dora sings "We did it!" this charming little celebration song and does her little wiggly dance.

Seriously, if you havent clocked it, even if you're a hardened bad boy (like Ludacris!) do yourself a favour and check it out.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
Dora rules in our house. she's also on Channel 5 for the dishless.
we were in francea few weeks ago and the kids watched her in french and considering they can't speak french they got most of it, the coolest bit was hen they had to cross a stream by counting in english.
swiper no swiping is a geat catchphrase but his reply "oh man!" is now used for any moment of frustration/disappointment.
top call woebot

rewch

had to watch it when staying with my sister in new york... no she's not a three year-old but my nephew is... he was very keen for me to join in & frowned if i didn't also shout 'swiper no swiping' &c.... deep joy

also very fine having dual language... bit like sesame street

Last edited:

Woebot

nice one jenks. nice one rewch. you dudes rock.

"oh maaaan" love that! you can just hear the voices in your head cant you. i reckon excellent voices are the key to good animation.