new tune

Rambler

Awanturnik
I think I must be missing the dubstep influence - it reminds me a lot of ISDN-era FSOL. Which is a good thing - I like it! :)

hint

party record with a siren
nice one bassnation - drums are fierce and heavy without losing the bump / rhythm - they still cut through... see where you're coming from with the dubstep influence... I think "brooding" is the word here

borderpolice

not sure if it's deliberate or not, but the strings in the middle are really non-dubsteppy. dubstep/grime strings
are always aiming at having some middle eastern feeling. your strings are more mid-90s. the breakbeats are also more DnB than dubstep/grime. not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

bassnation

the abyss
borderpolice said:
not sure if it's deliberate or not, but the strings in the middle are really non-dubsteppy. dubstep/grime strings
are always aiming at having some middle eastern feeling. your strings are more mid-90s. the breakbeats are also more DnB than dubstep/grime. not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

thank you everyone for all the feedback, very helpful. :)

was trying to get the tone, the feel of dubstep more than the sounds - but yeah, those strings are more of a ravey or even housey sound than you'd normally find.

i'm going to attempt to do some dubstep / grime instrumentals next - been trying to get my head around how the beats are produced. will post up some results when i've got a bit further.

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
dubstep/grime strings are always aiming at having some middle eastern feeling.

are we already condemning dubstep to a boring cliche? Too bad.....I was hoping for the sound to expand while keeping the basic rhythm intact.

bassnation

the abyss
machine hugger said:
dubstep/grime strings are always aiming at having some middle eastern feeling.

are we already condemning dubstep to a boring cliche? Too bad.....I was hoping for the sound to expand while keeping the basic rhythm intact.

yeah, i think dmz and horsepower have that pretty much wrapped up. wouldn't make sense to bite their style too much.

i'd like to take the rhythms and bring something alien into it. theres no reason why it can't still evolve after all its a fairly new form of music.

borderpolice

bassnation said:
wouldn't make sense to bite their style too much.

true, but should one really worry too much about being original? as long as it's banging?

i was discussing grime strings with a producer friend the other day and we couldn't
quite agree on how they are made. i though it's probably all sampled. my friend
thinks there's a lot of modelling synthesis going on. anyone here who can clarify?