PDA

View Full Version : mai lyst

sadmanbarty
09-10-2017, 12:29 AM
ok. maybe not 100 though. but only if you and corpsey and crowley do too

Here you go sweetness, I got a bit carried away.

https://sadmanbartyblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/08/first-blog-post/

your turn corpse.

Here's part 2:

https://sadmanbartyblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/16/another-top-100-or-so-albums/

craner
09-10-2017, 12:47 AM
Sort of tempting to do this sort of thing but after about 30 choices I'm sure I'd be thinking "why?"

I love Matt's lists, though. I did an affectionate (and admiring) parody of them on here once.

craner
09-10-2017, 12:50 AM
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=13160&page=10&p=310765#post310765

That was it ^

luka
09-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Sort of tempting to do this sort of thing but after about 30 choices I'm sure I'd be thinking "why?"

I love Matt's lists, though. I did an affectionate (and admiring) parody of them on here once.

i started thinking that after 3 choices.

luka
09-10-2017, 08:06 AM
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=13160&page=10&p=310765#post310765

That was it ^

ive exhumed this from the archives before. fantastic.

CrowleyHead
09-10-2017, 01:15 PM
I might do it, but I hate these only b/c I'll remember 100 things afterwards.

Corpsey
11-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Love your list

You're younger than us all and way ahead of me at the very least

luka
11-10-2017, 07:17 PM
hes a hairy 50 year old pretending to be 23 thats why

Corpsey
11-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Would make sense

I'm still not entirely convinced he isn't you

sadmanbarty
11-10-2017, 07:59 PM

I'm pretending to be 22 not 23, but I do have the hair growth patterns of an uzbeki cage fighter, so you got that right.

sadmanbarty
11-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Zizis cardiff

luka
11-10-2017, 08:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQY14BG4s4s

Ach!
11-10-2017, 11:49 PM
'Roni Size - All The Crew Big Up' brought me back here somehow, the first time I've managed to login to dissensus in some years.

https://youtu.be/sxMEtjfmrUU

craner
11-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Welcome bach!, Ach!

luka
12-10-2017, 03:55 PM
on the corner is a record which has slipped into the canon without really being seen yet. i mean that its a very peculiar record and the ways in which its peculiar havent been teased out, identified, enumerated

luka
12-10-2017, 04:00 PM
it's a record which makes me think because it's a record which i find it very hard to love. i'm intrigued by people who say they love it.

luka
12-10-2017, 04:06 PM
it's very different from the other electric miles stuff, from bitches brew, in a silent way etc because they are more or less records of landscape and atmosphere/and this very obviously isnt. it's about rhythm but such a strange investigation of it/looked at from such an unusual angle/the naturalism isn't there. it's almost mathematical/like a tropical factory

luka
12-10-2017, 04:08 PM
i like the record because i have to invent new ways of listening just to hear it at all

luka
12-10-2017, 04:11 PM
it sounds like a grid. very odd record.

luka
12-10-2017, 04:12 PM
it's a very beautiful piece of machinery. the synchronizing of all those moving parts

luka
12-10-2017, 04:19 PM
it's better than records i love because it resists.

luka
12-10-2017, 04:28 PM
i had a look to see if eshun dissects it but he seems to be just tripping out over those kitschy klarwein covers

luka
12-10-2017, 05:11 PM
On the Corner is a studio album by American jazz trumpeter Miles Davis. It was recorded in June and July 1972 and released later that year by Columbia Records. The album continued Davis's exploration of jazz fusion, bringing together funk rhythms with the influence of experimental composer Karlheinz Stockhausen and free jazz saxophonist Ornette Coleman.

this doesnt explain it

luka
12-10-2017, 05:17 PM
On the Corner was panned by most critics and contemporaries in jazz; according to Tingen, it became "the most vilified and controversial album in the history of jazz" only a few weeks after its release.[1] Saxophonist Stan Getz proclaimed "that music is worthless. It means nothing; there is no form, no content, and it barely swings."[11] Jazz Journal critic Jon Brown wrote, "it sounds merely as if the band had selected a chord and decided to worry hell out of it for three-quarters of an hour,"[11] concluding that "I'd like to think that nobody could be so easily pleased as to dig this record to any extent."[2] Eugene Chadbourne, writing for jazz magazine CODA, described it as "pure arrogance."[2] In his 1974 biography of Davis, critic Bill Coleman described the album as "an insult to the intellect of the people."[11] In a positive review for Rolling Stone, Ralph J. Gleason found the music very "lyrical and rhythmic" while praising the dynamic stereo recording and calling Davis "a magician". He concluded by saying "the impact of the whole is greater than the sum of any part."[17] Fellow rock journalist Robert Christgau later suggested that jazz critics were not receptive to On the Corner "because the improvisations are rhythmic rather than melodic" and Davis played the organ more than trumpet. Regarding the appeal its music had for rock critics, he praised "Black Satin" but expressed reservations about the absence of a "good" beat elsewhere on the album.[7]

luka
12-10-2017, 05:22 PM
Even critics who had celebrated Bitches Brew recoiled from On the Corner. Some accused Miles of selling out in pursuit of a younger audience – and Davis said in his autobiography that he had turned to funk so that he would be remembered after he died - but On the Corner is so far from being an act of populism that it is hard to imagine how Miles expected any audience for it at all.

mark fisher got it. you have to start by acknowledging just how alien this thing is.

luka
12-10-2017, 05:26 PM
cubistically disjunctive

works because of/the way the/ rhythmic grid sections up/ the canvas

luka
12-10-2017, 05:29 PM
you can see from the wiki entry just how recent this reapprasial is. kode 9 said it invented drum and bass or something and all of a sudden its every fact reviewers favourite album

luka
12-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Rate Your Music (Album Info and User Reviews)

Best of All-time Lists, Best of Decade Lists, etc.
Chuck Eddy (USA) - The Accidental Evolution of Rock'n'Roll (1997) No Order
Fast 'n' Bulbous (USA) - The 1000 Best Albums of All Time (Updated 2015) 550
Pitchfork (USA) - Top 100 Albums of the 1970s (2004) 30
WOEBOT (Matthew Ingram, USA) - The 100 Greatest Records Ever (2005) 15
David Toop (UK) - Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound and Imaginary Worlds (1995) No Order
Elvis Costello - 500 Albums You Need (2000) No Order
FACT (UK) - The 100 Best Albums of the 1970s (2014) 11
The Wire (UK) - 100 (+30) Records That Set the World on Fire (1998) No Order
Spex (Germany) - The 100 Albums of the Century (1999) 56
Jazz Magazine (France) - 50 Years of Black Music (2013) No Order
MUZIQ (France) - 200 Records for a Dream Collection (2007) No Order
Il Mucchio Selvaggio (Italy) - 100 Essential Jazz Albums (2004) No Order
Ratings
All Music Guide (USA) - Album Ratings 1-5 Stars 5 Stars
MusicHound (USA) - Album Ratings 0-5 Bones (1998-99) 4 Bones
Robert Christgau (USA) - Consumer Guide Album Grade B+
Rolling Stone Album Guide, Ratings 0-5 Stars (USA, 1979 and/or 1983) 3 Stars
Rolling Stone Album Guide, Ratings 1-5 Stars (USA, 1992) 3.5 Stars
Martin C. Strong (UK) - The Great Rock Discography 7th Edition, Ratings 1-10 7
The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD (6th Ed., 2002), Ratings 1-4 Stars, or a Crown 2.5 Stars
Virgin Encyclopedia of Popular Music (UK) - Album Ratings 1-5 Stars (2002) 3 Stars
Le Guide du CD (France) - Ratings from 1 to 4 Stars & "GOLD" (1991-1997) 3 Stars
Music Story (France) - Album Ratings 1-5 Stars 5 Stars

These critics also liked the following albums:

Artist Album Year Buy from
Amazon
Art Ensemble of Chicago
Les Stances a Sophie

Don Byron
Tuskegee Experiments

Sam Cooke
Night Beat

Eric Dolphy
Out to Lunch!

Herbie Hancock
Sextant

Charles Mingus
Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus

Charles Mingus
Let My Children Hear Music

Max Roach
We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite

Arthur Russell
World of Echo

Pharoah Sanders

Benny B
12-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Lester Bangs got it...eventually.

luka
12-10-2017, 05:53 PM
But if a jazz composer wants to make a rock album, or an electronic album, or an ambient album, or an experimental album (like in this case)? Would you still tag it as a "jazz album"?

Very ahead for his time, Miles Davis mixed art music with jazz/funk music, two opposite styles.

The result is "On the Corner", a noisy nightmare with jazz and tribal tints, in which you can't recognize nothing like a melody riff or something like it. It's a magmatic long suite, heavy and disturbing.

I've heard a lot of people defend this record as being "misunderstood", claiming that it isn't a jazz record and is at heart, an avant-garde funk album. There is only one problem with that: Miles and his crew didn't know how to play funk.

Miles simply could not play funky music (this music does not groove and is not danceable)... in his autobiography he states that he was trying to reach the R&B market (young blacks) and that Columbia messed up because they promoted this record to jazz stations instead of R&B stations ... he must have been really lunchin' by then IMHO because no R&B station would ever have played something like this ... had this record not had his name associated with it ... it would never have been released

:crylarf::crylarf::crylarf:

luka
12-10-2017, 05:55 PM
As someone who was greatly influenced by Bangs' great (and still not reprinted) essay Free Jazz / Punk Rock, I was shocked by "Kind of Grim," which dismisses Miles' 1972 recording On the Corner as "garbage," "the absolute worst album this man ever put out." "On this experiment in percussion and electronics," Bangs wrote in 1976, "what little actual trumpet you could pick out of the buzz-whiz and chockablocka was so distorted as to be almost beyond recognition." But because On the Corner wasn't simply "an off-note unaccountably put on record," but the beginning of a series of releases that included such other depressing "horseshit" as Big Fun and Get Up with It, Bangs claimed that "this music indicat[ed] that something was wrong with the progenitor, that he was not [merely] indulging himself or tapped out or merely confused," but that Miles was "sick of soul."

Five years later or, if you count Free Jazz / Punk Rock, three years later, Bangs was claiming that On the Corner was "something genuinely new," "the first jazz of the Eighties." Instead of being dead, of "having no discernible emotion in it," On the Corner is "almost obscenely, frighteningly alive." And this "change of mind" doesn't fail to implicate Bangs himself. He makes sure his readers know that, back in 1976, he "couldn't even hear it, much less feel its cold flame and realize its intentions," and "we could only grow into it [...] as time caught up with us and we caught up with Miles."

But this new-found appreciation is not an occasion for self-congratulation. No, far from it: back in 1976, Bangs writes, "there was something wrong with me [...] I was sweeping some deep latent anguish under the emotional carpet, or not confronting myself on some primal level." He'd dismissed On the Corner because "it exposed me to myself, to my own falsity, to my own cowardice in the face of dread or staved-off pain." And this, precisely, is the value of reading Lester Bangs so long (22 years!) after his death: like Miles' music, his writhing "will pry [pain] out of your soul's very core when he hits his supreme note and you happen, coincidentally, to be a bit of an open emotional wound at the moment yourself. It is this gift for open-heart surgery that makes him the supreme artist" -- or, if you will, the great moralist -- "that he is."

luka
12-10-2017, 05:56 PM
what starts happening at 19.50 of helen butte/mr freedom x?

luka
12-10-2017, 05:59 PM
It's really punk in its attitude. It's so offensive, and pushes boundaries at the same time
Jamie Morrison, drummer with post-punk band the Noisettes

luka
12-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Paul Miller, aka electronic and hip-hop musician and producer DJ Spooky. "I'm highly influenced by the collage process producer Teo Macero applied on the album,"

luka
12-10-2017, 06:10 PM
those twisted lozenges of bass and wah-wah
i'm thinking of one and one in particular. and the opening and snapping shut of mechanical jaws.

luka
12-10-2017, 06:13 PM
all these discreet but interlocking machine parts compressed air hissing with the in and out of pistons

luka
12-10-2017, 06:14 PM
"A swarm operates as a unit," says Stephen Crampton, CEO of Swarm Systems, an autonomous-systems startup based in Hertfordshire. "It has a mission that it has to carry out, and it is self-reconfiguring so that if one drone gets taken out, the others autonomously change their behaviour to complete the mission."

luka
12-10-2017, 06:17 PM
By 1972's On The Corner, the counter culture's boundless psychic spaces had suffered contraction. On The Corner is implosive, seething with volcanic but caged energies: it's jazz's answer to There's A Riot Goin' On. In the funk of Sly Stone and James Brown, Miles found a perfect musical analogue for the early Seventies 'the world is a ghetto' vibe. The bulk of the album consists of feverish, minimal-is-maximal varations around a single bass and guitar riff. The sulphurous fizz of the polyrhythms, the viscous malignancy of the bass, rhythm guitar that etches livid weals in your frontal lobes, wah-wah riffs that coil and bristle like rattlesnakes, or choke on their own venom: this is the sound of paranoia, totally wired, uptight, and coked to the gills. You feel like the air's burning in your lungs, like your heart's hammering against your ribcage and your nerves have turned to cheesewire.

reynolds in 1990

luka
12-10-2017, 06:19 PM
caged is the operative word there.

luka
12-10-2017, 06:21 PM
On The Corner is one of the dozen albums (for a list, send a SAE) that anyone interested in the outer limits should own, or be owned by.

what are the others please?

luka
12-10-2017, 06:29 PM
need to find ‘The Electric Miles’, Greg Tate

luka
12-10-2017, 06:37 PM
there's so many sections you could loop and create a new genre with

luka
12-10-2017, 06:38 PM
what starts happening at 19.50 of helen butte/mr freedom x?

this little envelope for instance

luka
12-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Getting back to Miles’ kinship with the post-psychedelic starsailors and aquanauts, the music of Dark Magus, On the Corner, Agharta, et al offers a drastic intensification of rock’s three most radical aspects: space, timbre, and groove (by which I something altogether more machine-like/matrix than jazz’s freeswinging drive). Making what he imagined was a sideways shift towards the pop mainstream (ha!), Miles actually achieved was a culmination of rock’s trajectory towards kinaesthetic abstraction, aka the textured groovescape.

more reynolds

Benny B
12-10-2017, 06:42 PM
Wish I could find that lester bangs review online, it was a brilliant piece of writing

IIRC he finally got into it listening on walkman walking through the packed streets NYC and he has this nightmarish vision of the human race as an insect colony. Or something like that, anyway it was great writing and described the music perfectly.

luka
12-10-2017, 06:42 PM
its actually said mantrix but i changed it to matrix becasue its my favourite film

sadmanbarty
12-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Next time you listen to it, listen as if the album's the complete opposite of all the things the critics say it is.

luka
12-10-2017, 07:21 PM
ive been listening to it non stop for a few hours now

sadmanbarty
12-10-2017, 07:22 PM
that probably doesn't help.

sadmanbarty
12-10-2017, 07:23 PM
if you listened to neil sedaka for four straight you'd be saying the same

Corpsey
12-10-2017, 07:25 PM
I'm put off 'On the Corner', and Miles Davis, and jazz in general, by it seeming like it's going to be hard work to not be bored by it. Please note: I recognise this is a lazy and philistine attitude on my part. But it seems like homework - music nerd homework, a qualification needed to make me worthy of writing for The Wire.

Saying all of that I did quite enjoy listening to some of 'Bitches Brew' recently, so perhaps I'm not beyond redemption.

Corpsey
12-10-2017, 07:27 PM
more reynolds

See I can't even read that paragraph. My eyes bounce off it, whizzing off in the direction of something less forbidding.

luka
12-10-2017, 08:02 PM
dont beleive you

Corpsey
12-10-2017, 09:34 PM
You know what I'll do is get stoned and listen to it

No weed ATM but that's obviously the answer

luka
12-10-2017, 09:51 PM
try it with everything. weed. mdma. lsd. dmt. cocaine. the lot. it's not boring or chorelike. it's a universe.

luka
12-10-2017, 11:50 PM
100 random records

aidonia-i like her
aleem-release yourself
alyson williams-sleep talk
alyus-follow me
anthony red rose-tempo
aphex twin-mould
archie bell and the drells-tighten up
art ensemble of chicago-whats to say
ashra-sunrrain
assasin-nah sell out

augustus pablo-vibrate on
azul-black rose II
Bala & The Great Music Pirameeds Of Afrika Miller-ikon allah
the bar kays-sexomatic
barrington levy-shine eye gal
beenie man-romie
bernard wright-who do you love
biosphere-cloudwalker II
the blackbyrds-rock creek park
blame-music takes you

bobby byrd-i know you got soul
bodysnatch-secret summer fantasy
boogie times tribe-my soul
bounty Killer - Eagle and di Hawk
buccaneer-romeo
buju banton-champion
burning spear-door peep
busy signal-bakka di house
can-splash
case and joe-faded pictures

cassie-me & u
carol williams-cant get away (from your love)
cece rogers-someday
cedric im brooks-collie version
chaka khan-aint nobody
change-change of heart
cheryl lynn-encore
the chiffons-hes so fine
the chills-pink frost
cloud 9-you got me burning

cluster – 15:33
coil (time machines)-5-Methoxy-N, N-Dimethyl: (5-Me0-DMT)
the congos-fisherman
creation rebel-Space Moment Section 9
culture-2 7s clash
curtis mayfield-little child running wild
curtis mcclaine & on the house-lets get busy
cyber people-Void Vision (Slow Version)
daddawah-run come rally
david bowie-sound and vision

david joseph-You Cant Hide (Your Love From Me)
david sylvian & ryuichi sakamoto-bamboo houses
d'cruze-heaven
dea project-need you so bad baby
dem 2-desire
dennis brown-sitting and watching
derrick may-nude photo
dexta daps-morning love
diana ross-telephone
dip in the pool-retinae (east version)

DJ Dextrous & Rude Boy Keith-charged
dj hype-shot in the dark
dj rap-ruffest gunark
Don Cherry & Latif Khan-one dance
donaeo-african warrior
donald byrd-places and spaces
double j-bless the funk
dr john-Danse Fambeaux
the dream-yamaha
the dream team-stamina

dru hill-tell me
eddie gale-the rain
eek a mouse-anarexol
egyptian lover-and my beat goes boom
eighties ladies-turned onto you
elephant man-log on
epmd-strictly buisness
evelyn champagne king-love come down
fela kuti-Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am
fingers inc-mystery of love

foul play-open your mind
frank ocean-lost
frankie knuckles-your love
Fred Wesley & the J.B.'s-blow your head
giggs-soldier riddim
gregory issacs-the border
goldie-jah 7th seal
groove chronicles-stone cold
guy-do me right
gwen guthrie-it should have been you

György Ligeti-artikulation
gza-4th chamber
hardware-badman
horace andy-every tounge shall tell
the house crew-euphoria
h town-knockin the boots
hugh mundell-book of life
Iannis Xenakis-Concret PH II
ill blu-meltdown
the impressions-people get ready

luka
13-10-2017, 12:36 AM
bonus records

radiance 1-basic channel
puls-gunter schnickert
movements of a visionary-tangarine dream
version dub-yabby you
windchime-underground resistance
childs play-nb funky
testing 1 2-model 500
antivapour waves-drexciya
slave to the vibe-dem 2
the legacy-the noise of art

cyberwolf-underground resistance
electrowave-space opera
entering quadrant 5-underground resistance
dirty games-studio 2
dance of the vampires-scientist
echo waves-manuel gottsching
colony-kenny larkin
dolls polyphony-geinoh yamashirogumi
neribalankina-captain yaba
she moves on-paul simon

aguirre III-popul vuh
sex in zero gravity-the martian
jaguar-the aztec mystic
poor & humble-wayne wade
cloning process-scientist
enforcement-basic channel
riot in lagos-ryuichi sakamoto
mkwaju-mkwaju ensemble
now you want me (dub\)-romanthony
wrinkles in time-4 hero

q1.2-basic channel
xtal-aphex twin
Matières Induites-Bernard Parmegiani
chasing the rain-keyboard kid
xerrox monophaser 2-alva noto
ascending ^&descending-david hykes and the harmonic choir
the rhythm of the saints-paul simon
new grass-talk talk
hyperborea-biosphere
endless running-double fantasy

battle against clown-geinoh yamashirogumi
tuareg-muslim gauze
flowmotion-robert schroder
freebase chakra-coil
tunnel of goats sequence-coil
conic section 5-evan parker
walk on air-holy ghost inc
journey to the unknown-richie rich
sueno latino-sueno latino
lipstick-ariel pink

journey in satchindanda-alice coltrane
sangam-don cherry & latif khan
moussa berkiyo-maleem mahmoud ghania & pharoah sanders
la sorrela-marion brown
wili 2-miles davis
one and one-miles davis
thembi-pharoah sanders
flutter fly flounce-roland young
tatopani-zann
nruknesh-zoviet france

thought process-infiniti
frozen warnings-nico
titan moon-evan parker
sphere-patrick vian
hunting-keith hudson
mushroom-can
gun man-waifa
mobo theme-klein & mbo
tinseltown in the rain-the blue nile
desire-robert hood

transmission-joy division
histoire a suivre-honeymoon killers
the smooth track-basil hardhaus
blackouts-ashra
pop 2-gas
hosianna mantra-popul vu
hubris 1-oren amabarchi
endless race-wally badarou
ltj bukem-atlantis

luka
13-10-2017, 12:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUZ5xe3HCk

sadmanbarty
13-10-2017, 12:46 AM
fun jazz for corpse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BayhpwXP70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpWLq9hiLH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ2d0BBClr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovaY1KlQRi4

luka
13-10-2017, 12:55 AM
more fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwPD-Fi-y6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuTQBpcLilg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjANS8jIx8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-81AEUqHPzU

Corpsey
13-10-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm giving this a go

http://www.mixtapemadness.com/mixtape/rv-x-headie-one/drillers-x-trappers

And then I'll do the fun jazz

sadmanbarty
16-10-2017, 02:09 PM
I'll remember 100 things afterwards.

https://sadmanbartyblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/16/another-top-100-or-so-albums/

craner
16-10-2017, 03:27 PM
What was so special about Now 47?

Corpsey
16-10-2017, 04:21 PM
It comes out of the corner like a beast:

1. "Rock DJ" Robbie Williams 4:16
2. "Lady (Hear Me Tonight)" Modjo 3:41
3. "Life Is a Rollercoaster" Ronan Keating

luka
16-10-2017, 06:44 PM
go on then corpse come on then crow

Corpsey
16-10-2017, 07:01 PM
I've never been more uninterested in my own taste than I am ATM

This will probably pass quickly and soon I'll be doing top 100s for every genre and decade

luka
16-10-2017, 07:03 PM
well im the same actually. sick of it. actively been trying to escape from it.

CrowleyHead
16-10-2017, 07:12 PM
go on then corpse come on then crow

Tragically my problem is I should work on school rather than this as much as I'd love to. Plus Dissensus has had a hideous habit of eating a lot of my posts this week b/c I tried one initial post and it got lost to the ether.

luka
16-10-2017, 07:14 PM
school is for nerds and swots. cool kids compile top 100 lists.

Corpsey
16-10-2017, 07:14 PM
well im the same actually. sick of it. actively been trying to escape from it.

what I've been enjoying lately is handing over the keys to other people, so to speak

a mate of mine made me a 10 track playlist on spotify. I didn't enjoy all of it but I enjoyed most of it, and would never have listened to most of those tracks independently.

just now I turned on NTS and there's some guy playing synthy stuff - again, not stuff i'd seek out myself. i don't like all of it but...

anyway you get the picture

sadmanbarty
16-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Tragically my problem is I should work on school rather than this as much as I'd love to.

Nerd

sadmanbarty
16-10-2017, 07:16 PM
seems like luka got there before me

luka
16-10-2017, 07:30 PM
tell you what though. we'll do your schoolwork for you. you do the list

CrowleyHead
16-10-2017, 07:33 PM
Don't tempt me.

luka
16-10-2017, 07:46 PM
i never listen to NTS. I've got this idea of it as a simulacrum of radio. a highly sophisticated synthetic mimicry of radio. probably partly to do with the digital signal and partly to do with it being made specifically for me. that is to say targeted at 'my demographic' I won't ever risk listening to it in case i like it.

luka
16-10-2017, 07:47 PM
corpsey just copy out 100 brilliant songs from the top of your itunes like i did.

sadmanbarty
16-10-2017, 07:49 PM
corpsey just copy out 100 brilliant songs from the top of your itunes like i did.

i'm not letting him off that easy

luka
16-10-2017, 07:51 PM
it's just a stopgap. an interim measure.

CrowleyHead
16-10-2017, 09:09 PM
i never listen to NTS. I've got this idea of it as a simulacrum of radio. a highly sophisticated synthetic mimicry of radio. probably partly to do with the digital signal and partly to do with it being made specifically for me. that is to say targeted at 'my demographic' I won't ever risk listening to it in case i like it.

I listen to the occasional show I download when its a label/DJ or whatever I like but in particular NTS suffers from knowing taste too well. There's no error, they're going with things that have been properly curated and field tested over time. There's little to no evidence of poor judgement by people eager to force their own taste.

Also there's nothing BLATANTLY embarrassing. When NTS has their equivalent of whatever trash rock BBC puts on to appeal to 17 year olds from *reads notecard of proper UK references so I can talk down to dissensians* the midlands in a block, THEN they'll be truly trustworthy.

luka
16-10-2017, 09:13 PM
NTS suffers from knowing taste too well. There's no error, they're going with things that have been properly curated and field tested over time.

definitely get this feeling exactly

Corpsey
16-10-2017, 09:46 PM
I get your point re: NTS I suppose, although I more avoid it cos I'm not so much of a house/techno guy and they seem to focus on that a lot. Saying that, I've stuck it on again and I like whatever it is they're playing again.

We should create Dissensus FM, I'd play some really embarrassing stuff for sure

From 8-10pm tonight SADMANBARTY plays GOOD SONGS WITH DODGY RAPS

And from 10pm tonight LUKA plays RANDOMLY SHUFFLED SONGS OFF A 12 YEAR OLD GIRL'S IPOD in an attempt to ESCAPE HIS OWN HOPELESSLY OSSIFIED TASTE

Corpsey
16-10-2017, 09:51 PM
From 8-10pm tonight SADMANBARTY plays GOOD SONGS WITH DODGY RAPS

And from 10pm tonight LUKA plays RANDOMLY SHUFFLED SONGS OFF A 12 YEAR OLD GIRL'S IPOD in an attempt to ESCAPE HIS OWN HOPELESSLY OSSIFIED TASTE

I actually made myself want a real dissensus station here

Problem is no fucker would listen to it

luka
16-10-2017, 09:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giABAfeEc0U

Frank Olsen
Frank Olsen
2 years ago
Remembber this song from England, when me and my wife had our last real holliday before she past away

Corpsey
16-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Look
If you had
One shot
Or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
In one moment
Would you capture
Or just let it slip?
Yo

http://www.eminem.net/8mile/images/eminem_8_mile_battle.jpg

Me with the floorshow
Kickin' with your torso
Boys getting high
And the girls even more so
Wave your hands if your not with the man
Can I kick it?
(Yes you can!)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sHE0wmgljco/maxresdefault.jpg

I got
(Funk)
You got
(Soul)
We got everybody!

I've got the gift
Gonna stick it in the goal
It's time to move your body

https://espngrantland.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/8-mile-friends-e1397613231652.jpg?w=1024

Corpsey
16-10-2017, 10:08 PM
The Drivetime call in show with Craner and Luka

sadmanbarty
17-10-2017, 12:18 AM
At 6, the women's hour with benny b.

Corpsey
17-10-2017, 11:09 PM
Capleton - Good So http://www.messletters.com/images/icons/emoticons/surprised.png

https://i.imgflip.com/sd946.jpg

mistersloane
18-10-2017, 02:45 PM
I actually made myself want a real dissensus station here

Problem is no fucker would listen to it

I definitely would.

mistersloane
18-10-2017, 02:46 PM
I want the 10-11pm agony aunt Claire Rayner phone in show. "Tell me about all your emotional, physical, and sexual problems"

luka
18-10-2017, 05:27 PM
ach says his going hes going to let me do a show with him but he was fucked out of his nut when he said it so hes probably changed his mind

luka
19-10-2017, 02:42 PM
helen butte at 18.50 onwards. investigate that condition.

luka
19-10-2017, 02:44 PM
perhaps this is the best record.

luka
19-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Dragonfly wing/there’s nothing here to hang on to/it threatens to cohere/to formulate its shimmer into pattern/and dissolves/tracing its possible crystallisations/in the invisible air/
As potential/inherent/and unbecome.
Which is why water/and always water/the musculature/of the fluid surface.
Before the light which extinguishes all in its ravening incandescence. Before the point of ultimate surrender-/-the point of ultimate information.
The trick then/to hold off/to prolong the point/at which it consumes itself in white light. To always ask for more/

that's how i understand the process. now the thing about these records is they mime the point of ultimate information without ever collapsing into the white void. the crescendo. the orgasm-death gimmick.

sadmanbarty
19-10-2017, 05:26 PM
helen butte at 18.50 onwards. investigate that condition.

Funnily enough, under the On the corner entry on my list I was thinking of writing "the quiet bits are underrated". i think that's true of dark magus and in concert too. this is good for quiet bits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqYsNOhfLNQ