Atlanta Rap 2014-2016

sadmanbarty

Was it innovative? If so what was innovative about it? If not, what were the precedents for it?

Was it paradigm shifty?

Was it a golden age of rap comparable to the mid-90's? Did it in any ways exceed the mid-90's?

What were some of the best choons to come out of it?

(Not strictly Atlanta by the way)

sadmanbarty

a big shift has been this turn to fragmentary flows comprising of quick bursts of staccato triplets being broken up with lots of interjecting ad-libs. like people trying to make 'hold on se22 mix)' with their voices alone; it's the same sort of effect.

doesn't account for young thug though, he doesn't do much of this.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i am interested in exploring the idea (half-baked, if that) that Atlanta has become as stultifying a hub of influence on rap as new york once was

but i suspect i'm just sick of hearing 'skrt skrt' adlibs

and sick of life, in fact

sadmanbarty

it's not a novel opinion but i do think that the reverence of the past is what's holding back la and new york. think about yg following up krazy life with a g-funk throwback album. gs9 were the closest i think of reconciling the past with something more contemporary. you can tell it's new york without being nostalgic.

sadmanbarty

on the other hand you could argue desiigner copying the atlanta sound and being succesful doing so hindered a proper new york sound emerging.

luka

being honest

Was it innovative? If so what was innovative about it? If not, what were the precedents for it?
no

Was it paradigm shifty?
no

Was it a golden age of rap comparable to the mid-90's? Did it in any ways exceed the mid-90's?
no. no.

What were some of the best choons to come out of it?
nothing.

but that's based on studiously avoiding listening to any of it.

luka

i thought you said he doesnt fit into your thesis? can you answer your own questions please? it's like when corpsey posted that weird Scientology quiz, got everyone to answer but didnt answer himself like a shifty pervert.

luka

also what's the timeline. how does it play out chronologically? who did what first?

sadmanbarty

i'll answer the questions once it gets going a bit otherwise i'm the internet equivalent of a bloke on a park bench with fingerless sipping cheap booze out a black plastic bag and talking to himself.

sadmanbarty

also what's the timeline. how does it play out chronologically? who did what first?

migos popularised the triplets, future popularised the non-melodic auto-tune, arguably chief keef was the one who started making rap increasingly ad-lib centric and young thug and richie homie quan doing weird things with phonetics.

sadmanbarty

they all intersected and culminated in atlanta in the last few years, with different artists being defined how they balance those different elements, how much they have of each.

luka

just post the whole thesis in one virtuoso unveiling and we'll all stand back, mouths gaping in awe and admiration and you will colect the plaudits.

sadmanbarty

none of us have ever heard this music tho lol is john eden going to have an opinion on this? is leo? what about mr tea?
what does craner think of atlanta rap post 2014?

the whole point of you young people is you have to explain this stuff to us so we feel in touch. can you play your part please and we can tell you stories about going to a garage rave in 1998 or something.