Jose Gonzalez

Woebot

Talk about over-rated or what!

I was really keen to pick up this guys record. It's been garlanded left right and centre, the spiel goes:

nick drake x flamenco + arthur russell = jose gonzalez

I can see all that, though if you ask me the guy sounds more like bill withers than anyone else, however it's just such a flat record. The guy has no tunes all at all, just these monotonous minor-key strums.

Worst of all there seems to be absolutely no point whatsoever to the music (kind of in the manner of the influences game outlined above). Is it really some act of artistic self-reflexive genius that the LP is called "Veneer", I cant believe someone would actually aspire to make bland music (ambience aside, though the best "ambient" music always worked against itself, was engrossing wallpaper)

Quite pleasant i suppose, in the lamest way, but save your pennies.

S

simon silverdollar

his cover of the knife's 'heartbeats' is lovely. altho i'm not sure if that's just cuz it's such a good track to begin with.

owen

i heard his album in sweden a year or so ago and found it pretty anodyne, but i love love love the cover of 'heartbeats', mainly cos someone who i was extremely fond of put it on a tape for me.

Woebot

lovestain (with the hand-clapping) is the tune i like. i'll check that other tune (listening now). seems quite nice in a jose gonzalez kind of way. maybe if knew the original my experience would be enrichened a bit more ;)

redcrescent

Never heard his stuff, but I have a free ticket to his Vienna show on Sunday.
Are y'all saying I should flog it pronto?

chantler

matt, so in agreement here...

i think the phrase "ikea-folk" sums it up perfectly.

i saw him play at the old blue last to a room full of guest-listed wankers and it was dreadfully dull.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Just to point out, Bill Withers = God

Am keen on doing some jungle re-rubs, anyone know if anyone got there before me?

:)

jk_gabba

gabba survivor
I got this because of the "heartbeats" cover, which is nice, and the first time i can think of hearing a acoustic cover of an electronic track that almost sounded like it was the original track, i guess i just sounds basic and like it needs improving, where as the knife track is perfection..

Also the Knife - Pass This On (M.A.N.D.Y. Remix) is very good...