French Caribbean dancehall -RFI

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
On the Heatwave vs Mas Fuego flyer, it refers to 'French Caribbean dancehall'. Now, I've got a CD of Haitian ragga, but I thought this stuff was highly rare. Anyone know more on this subject - movers and shakers, how big the scene is in Haiti or, er, Guadeloupe?

gabriel

The Heatwave
from the videos i've seen (from guadeloupe i think) it looks pretty lively to say the least... will try and dig them out and upload them somewhere. never heard of anything from haiti before - only guada/martinique.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Videos sound good...

If someone can put up an idiot's guide to YouSendIt (or refer me to one), then I could put a couple of mp3s of the Haiti stuff up - some very good tunes indeed

redcrescent

Check out Dis l'heure 2 Ragga, which came out last year. Some great tunes on that, premium bizness. Not all the artists are from the Caribbean, tho' (Lyricson is from Guinea). Daddy Mory is from Martinique, Admiral T is from Guada and the brilliantly named Fuckly is from the FWI, too. Dunno about the others.

There's also Dis l'heure 2 Zouk and Dis l'heure 2 Rimes for those so inclined.

Heard a great, great zouk megamix the other day, I must see if I can get a hold of it. Gabriel I can send you the first 16 tracks of that Ragga comp if you want (and a copy of the zouk set once available).

On the French (language) ragga tip, anyone heard things coming out of Reúnion and Mauritius? I've heard some things on a compilation entitled Extreme Ragga or something similar, and I though it was very good. A friend from Reúnion also introduced me (along with some homegrown hip hop and plenty of Charette rum punch) to a sort of séga-ragga fusion, the former apparently being (along with maloya) a form of indigenous music from the early colonial times in 3/4 time. Some of the stuff was very tacky, but when the vocals were gruffer and the beats harder (or the soukous influence was more audible) I could well understand the appeal.

I'm clueless tho'. Any knowledge out there?