Where is talent concentrated?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Just reading Leavis on modern poetry (what was at his time modern poetry) and he speculates as to why the greatest minds are no longer attracted to writing poetry. Reject his opinion or not, I think this is an interesting way of looking at art, and might be for music, too.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Take UK funky - the talent that always existed was focused upon and released by the emergence of a genre. And while some producers from funky have been able to turn their talents to other forms, most will never be able to produce anything on the same level. Perhaps I'm getting at something else here (if at anything much at all) - the aptness of certain forms to give certain talents their fullest expression. The form creates the talent and the talent creates the form.

On a simpler level I'm just wondering where the greatest concentration of talent is in modern music - does it go where the money is, or where the unexplored territory is? The money tends to turn up after the territory has been mapped, like a Costa Coffee appearing in a once-trendy neighborhood. But OTOH, when there is money to be made (and fame, and sex to be had) there's a magnetic effect - and I left out the not inconsiderable question of an audience for your music.

To plea my case here, I came up with this thread while waiting in McDonalds, stoned.

Perhaps there isn't anything as fascinating to say about this idea vis modern music as there was avout 19th century poetry Vs modernism.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And there's also those tunes you get when a genre is at its freshest point, made by somebody who never made anything else again, that are still better than what more talented people could do with a more already exhausted form.

Plus anyone who has produced music at all will know how often the decisions are made for you by accident. But a generic template also makes a lot of those decisions for you, from the tempo upwards.

Is this all just scenius Vs genius?