good ideas that actually ended up coming out as an unmitigated disaster

luka

anything that starts with a concept comes out as an unmitigated disaster.

the conceptual is a mistake. e.g. 'funk-metal.'

luka

you cant make things up. it's just not allowed. culture doesn't work like that.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
some things are just sui generis I think. Faith No More is a good example.

The Real Thing a is fucking great record but then you read how it was a massive influence on like every single nu-metal band who heard it when they were 15.

padraig (u.s.)

but also no one sets out to make funk metal (or shoegaze or post-rock or minimal house or whatever)

people make thing, they have to be classified somehow, a term is applied or made up, a scene coalesces around the term

powerviolence is a good example of a catchallish term being codified into a specific actual sound but there's tons of others

craner

Beast of Burden
I was about to say it was the ‘Layla’ of the 90s but realised you weren’t talking about ‘Epic’...

padraig (u.s.)

you're probably better off with things in the real world

public housing project towers

state communism

etc

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

‘Epic’...
Epic is a great song. it's just you can also see all kinds of terrible things in it, from Linkin Park to metalcore.

can't really blame Patton + co. tho, just like you can't blame Rites of Spring for My Chemical Romance or whatever

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Epic is a great song. it's just you can also see all kinds of terrible things in it, from Linkin Park to metalcore.

can't really blame Patton + co. tho, just like you can't blame Rites of Spring for My Chemical Romance or whatever

I like Linkin Park tbh. It's good early teenage angst music.

padraig (u.s.)

I think it was always awful
idk man I think you're filtering it thru all that came after. or maybe it's just not your thing, which is fair.

that's a killer LP. FNM was so much weirder, more cosmopolitan, queer influence than most of the bro rock they inspired, just a different thing. the rhythm section + keys dude were in a (not great tbh) arty post-punk band before FNM, Patton came from Mr. Bungle + has obv gone on to a million things (some good, some not, all interesting), and then Martin brought the full-on hesher shred (his first band was a high school power trio w/Cliff Burton).

padraig (u.s.)

I like Linkin Park tbh. It's good early teenage angst music.
sure I know plenty of people a few years younger than me for whom they were a big tween nostalgia thing

I was already into hardcore and anarchopunk and stuff by the time they got big, so I missed that and nu-metal, except for a bit of RATM early on

padraig (u.s.)

really FNM is operating at least partially in the Scritti Politti type lineage

the funk in their funk-metal was more Gang of Four, James Chance etc, avant funk not funk than like The Ohio Players

very unfortunately they kinda get lumped in RHCP, who were basically doing a (via ripping off Fishbone) lame cod Ohio Players thing