Starbucks Political Activism

turtles

in the sea
the side of my Starbucks coffee cup this morning said:
"The Zen master would say if you want to change government, you have to aim at changing corporations, and if you want to change corporations, you first have to change consumers. Whoa, wait a minute! The consumer? That's me drinking this cup of coffee."
-Yvon Chouinard
climber/surfer/environmentalist
Yes, feel free to badmouth me for going to Starbucks, cuz I clearly deserve it.

Last edited:

Backjob

THing is starbucks isn't even a particularly bad company but righteous hairshirters particularly hate it because it trespasses on their middle class semiotics.

owen

Backjob said:
THing is starbucks isn't even a particularly bad company but righteous hairshirters particularly hate it because it trespasses on their middle class semiotics.

i'd debate the first point, but as for the second- i recall in about 1999, (pre-starbucks takeover of central london, and pre- 'no logo') after a demonstration joining some hippie acquaintances for a cuppa in a starbucks. cue trip hop in background, 'ethnic' paintings on wall, 'oh, this place is nice isn't it?'- i suspect that 2 years later they were throwing bricks in their windows....

owen

oh if you insist...

i suppose i think they're 'particularly bad' cos i like cafes, and there are now few that i don't find distinctly offensive, mainly cos of their swamping tactics....maybe that's 'middle class semiotics' though. and whether luka had fun there or not, i've heard a fair few horror stories of their pay and conditions...

will that do?