"Showtime" and "Treading on thin ice" redux

Backjob

I'm about to go hear Wiley play in Tokyo (!!!) And am sitting listening to "Treading on thin ice" for the first time in ages. Occurs to me that this record is much fresher, and bearing up much better these days than "Showtime" which sounds a bit tired and thin. Wiley's perspective is richer than Dizzee's and obviously the beats are much better.

Anyway I think it's interesting to consider these records a year on because the discourse around grime is always so immediate - how do feel they've fared?

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Weird, I was listening to 'Treddin On Thin Ice' earlier as well (staying in tonight so I can afford Titch & J2K tomorrow night), and you're right, it's held up well. Quite a diverse range of sounds, and Wiley's usual story-telling genius. He's kind of limited as an mc, but he's brilliant at what he does. I even put 'Pick U R Self Up' on my blog earlier.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Funny, I was thinking along the same lines too- I was listening to Eskimo the other day, thinking, cor, I'd love to hear that "Wot U Call It?" vocal on the top. Which is odd, because at the time it seemed a bit of a let down, but these days those lyrics "I don't care about garage, listen to this it don't sound like garage" seem confrontational, witty, bold, there's even a certain verbal elegance there.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
agreed. even (some of) the tracks I hated on the Wiley thing first time out have started to sound quite good ...

how was Slimzee & Wiley?

mms

sometimes
pick yoursrlf up is still one of the best tracks ever, someplaces the lp sounds patchy and underproduced in others its great like the title track

theo

pollymarchs 4 eva
Its funny. I always found the tracks I end up liking the most are the ones that take the longest to get into to. A year after first listening to Treddin on thin ice, I am liking it more and more every listen.

I raise my glass to a classic.

Backjob

I agree with everyone above. It's a classic (and "Showtime" probably isn't).

Slimzee and Wiley was great. Weird but great. Very male crowd, but knew their stuff. There were cheers when Wiley mentioned D Double and Tinchy Stryder and people were shouting along to "Wot do you call it" (which I have to agree has aged really well - gone from sounding novelty to sounding like an anthem).

Wiley called Dizzee "a very clever boy" in a very wry, bittersweet kind of way. He played 2 new tracks from "the new album" (so when's that coming out then?) which were both great and which I didn't recognize. Several times he exhorted the crowd to "go and make some Japanese grime" which is an idea I kind of love. I reckon it'd be better than Japanese hip hop, anyhow.

Talking of which, the crowd was mostly Japanese hip hop types, with the obligatory obsessively perfect outfits. I liked this because it indicates that grime is seen as street music here, not hipster stuff. Not that it was exactly rowdy inside but there was a lot of energy with fist pumping, rewind motions and jumping up and down.

There was also a very cuddly and very e'd up kid called Yasu hugging people on the dancefloor and grinning constantly which I reckon probably doesn't happen at grime nights in the UK much...

outraygeous

i listened to wileys album the other day aswell and i dont feel it that much.

i guess thats partly coz i dont really like wileys tunes, hes abused his proteus and it shows on that album.
dizzees albums sounds alot more vaired

S

simon silverdollar

the weird thing about 'showtime' is that when i first heard it i thought it was a classic. but it gets rapidly worse on repeated listens, to the point where i have no desire to listen to it at all.

i wouldn't call wiley's album classic, but it is certainly a more rounded and appealing record than 'showtime', with some amazing hits-that-never-were: the title track, wot do u call it, pick yrself up, pies. wiley should have had more collaborations on his album tho- his monotone doesn't suit an album length release.

gumdrops

showtime is bloody boring, self obsessed to the point of ennui, and mired in 'woe is me, the world hates me!' hiphop cliche. i still like about 4 tracks on it though. the rest, i really dont want to hear again.

Last edited:
looks like everyone here is on some 'back the underdog....wiley is more real' tip....

Wiley lost ppl jus face it....dizzee smacked it, earns more respect from me personally day by day and EASILY made the better LP....

gumdrops

not really, boy in da corner is miles better than showtime and wiley's album is more enjoyable in many ways than showtime. no ones saying dizzee didnt smack it, just that showtime was a bit underwhelming, all in all.

S

simon silverdollar

Tactics said:
looks like everyone here is on some 'back the underdog....wiley is more real' tip....

i don't think that's what people are saying or thinking at all.

simon silverdollar said:
i don't think that's what people are saying or thinking at all.

im jus saying thats all....

I like both LP's but I think Dizzee made the better LP with 'Showtime' accept for that Marga Man track lol....

S

simon silverdollar

who is marga man anyway? has anything been seen or heard from him before or since showtime?

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Tactics said:

Wiley lost ppl jus face it....dizzee smacked it, earns more respect from me personally day by day and EASILY made the better LP....

Wiley's not really an underdog, though, is he?

simon silverdollar said:
who is marga man anyway? has anything been seen or heard from him before or since showtime?

he had 'butters friend' of which the video and song were hilarious and now he's got another vid on channel U NOW of which the 2nd song is quite good....

LRJP!

(Between Blank & Boring)
i think Treddin' On Thin Ice deserves a lot more love than it got, especially Wot Do You Call It. It sounded great to me, but i think this is because i wasn't soaked in pirate sets and white labels before hearing it unlike most here... But i still prefer Showtime.