Coolness is a helpful concept and we need more of it.

luka

The strongest supporting evidence being musicians who deliberately run counter to cool, consider themselves above it, snootily superior. Those people make the worst music.

sadmanbarty

strong disagree just look at what happened to riz now some ppl are saying riz is reappropriating the bbc newsreader riz lateef and being disrespectful to a WoC BBC news reader lmao. what next, Sajid Javid in the dance?

a sentence has never made less sense to me in my life

luka

Coolness, like charisma is real money, a genuine unforgeable currency. What does it tell us? It tells us that this is a superior aesthete for a start with a refined sense of the weights and measures. Very sensitive and aware.

luka

Coolness, like charisma is real money, a genuine unforgeable currency. What does it tell us? It tells us that this is a superior aesthete for a start with a refined sense of the weights and measures. Very sensitive and aware.

As with music it all rests on an awareness of what's just enough and what's too much. It is also married to time. Context counts.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Coolness, like carizla is real money, a genuine unforgeable currency. What does it tell us? It tells us that this is a superior aesthete for a start with a refined sense of the weights and measures. Very sensitive and aware.

Fixed.

luka

Me and Barry have an arrangement where he just says any old shit off the top of his head and I have to instantly magic up sophisticated and persuasive arguments to support it

sadmanbarty

Think of guiding principles to guide aesthetic endeavours.

What about if we only listened to innovative music?

Well you'd have loads of great stuff; all the nuum stuff, 70's miles, etc. but you'd also have things like breakcore which is the audio version of belarusian truck driver squatting over your table and shitting directly into your cornflakes.

sadmanbarty

So innovation as a guiding principle's out. What else could it be?

Anything other than 'cool' will leave you with baltic stool.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah but do u really want to be in a goldsmiths space in 2019 at least breakcore doesn't have that, yet. mind you breakcore is dead so it can't anyway lol.

luka

It's essentially impossible to be cool and middle class so this should sit comfortably with 3rds revolutionary Marxism

sadmanbarty

It's essentially impossible to be cool and middle class so this should sit comfortably with 3rds revolutionary Marxism

also we misunderstand what is cool and that's usually the worst music of all. stuff that's pretending to be cool but isn't. maybe that's the definition of student music.