Destructive 001

originaldrum

from start till done
anyone clocked this yet?

if not do, i reckon it's awesome, kind of reinstilled my faith in dubstep to actually release tunes - this may be partly from frustration with mixes revolving around all the same tunes - (regardless of how deep the tune is if i hear another mix with crackbong.....)

never heard of him but the skinnz tune is sick, the rest is allstar lineup

clockwurk

I take it your talking about the "Our Sound LP"...... If so yeah its a dope set of tunes - but......

It aint dubstep! (excluding the Skreamz track which is the shitter of the LP anyway)

Skinnz is an alias of Baobinga (his tracks are out on passenger, 777 and those sortta labels) - a breaks producer.

Big props to S&D for releasing this.

3underscore

Yeah - this has been kicking around my "new" pile of records for a few weeks. It is pretty great - some good sounds on there.

I think I will feel quite pissed off if they package it dead nice, but the sounds are top. Nice to get an 8 artist grouping, rather than a squad of dubs-and-castoffs packaged together a lot of the time.

originaldrum

from start till done
clockwurk said:
It aint dubstep!.

yeah i hear what your sayin man, it's not your trad dubstep , but these artists don't sit well for me in the breaks arena, kinda why i always lumped search n destroy in with the dubstep (now that i think about that it is totally irrational!), i think j da flex prolly got me doing that, and he's not one to pidgeon hole himself either, not that know him or anything
(maybe i'm just trying to avoid other phrases a la breakstep etc)

Yeh, luvvin' this record. I used a couple of tracks from it on a mix that's up at Riddim.Ca. Really feeling this 'sound' at the mo'. I was callling it breakstep for a while, as a way of distinguishing it from dubstep, but some people think that's not cool. I'll just have to call it 'Their Sound'. The new Distance 12" on Hot Flush is pretty spiffing too...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
when every DJ Zinc 12" was the biggest thing in garage, around 2001-2, this style of music was called "breakbeat garage." Given there's an unbroken lineage from Distance, S&D, Oris Jay through Forward>> back to that Zinc era, why not call this stuff breakbeat garage?

Blackdown said:
why not call this stuff breakbeat garage?

cos breakstep sounds newer/cooler? :confused:

why are so many people opposed to the term b***kstep anyway? It's just a handy name to refer to a particular strand of garage innovation. why be so fucking precious about everything? it's becoming a drag.

let the pigeonholing commence!!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i dont speak for the artists who make it but personally breakstep is a musical contradiction in terms. what distinguishes the two closely related garage hybrids (dubstep and, erm, the other breaky one) is the use of either drum breaks or single hit "step" patterns. it makes no sense then to call one of the sounds both "break" and "step" when the point is that it isnt built on single hits...

nomos

Administrator
isn't the 'step" part referring to a 2-step rhythm (ie: since back in the ___step post-break dnb days)? technically a break can also be 2-step while individually programmed hits aren't necessarily.

anyway, it's all part of the hip house 'nuum anyway, innit? :p

Hrrrm...I doubt yer average punter gives a shit about the technicalities of step sequencers. This is probably one of those situations where the wishes of the artists and the needs of the people who write about them are a little different. Even if it is meaningless, Breakstep is a useful 'catch-all' term to refer to artists coming from that particular scene who are working with breaks. Everything needs a snappy 'product recognition' brandname if you're gonna sell it to the public. Though I respect the intentions, 'Our Sound' is a bit wishy-washy and just don't cut it.

Anyway, a lot of the underlying grooves on Toasty and Distance tunes are quite 'steppy' I think.

Anyone noticed how the riffs are getting more and more extreme and distorted in b***kstep? Re-introducing some of the mid-frequencies from Rock? If I close my eyes and imagine people dancing to it, I see hordes of weird looking people with outlandish haircuts, heavy makeup and leather bondage gear going crazy. Breakstep is the new Industrial-goth-techno-metal!! :eek:

I wonder if that old rockist Blissblogger is checking this shit and is he feeling/really feeling it?