outside of jungle, techno and dancehall, the 90s gave nothing to music

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
worthless. at least 80s had nu wave, free style, electro, grindcore, post-punk, noise rock. 90s gave the global mainstream (and the global indie mainstream) nothing. just timbaland. that was not enough. worst decade of music ever.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
black moon sounds 70s. the infamous sounds like one of those 60s film scores through an AM radio. illmatic sounds semi 1980 and semi 60s. cuban links also sounds 70s, even in the drums. let's not even talk about black sheap and killa priest. as for brand nubian and guru forget it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
post-rockwas just krautrock for americans. at least germans had culture and philosophy. americans are brutes.

droid

Yeah, garage too. And West Coast/Southern rap/hip hop that forms the roots of the most dominant mainstream sound on the planet. Then there's eurodance, also (and inexplicably) hugely influential on contemporary pop.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yeah, garage too. And West Coast/Southern rap/hip hop that forms the roots of the most dominant mainstream sound on the planet. Then there's eurodance, also (and inexplicably) hugely influential on contemporary pop.

A) miami bass.
B) eurodance is just italo disco anyway.

luka

black moon sounds 70s. illmatic sounds semi 1980 and semi 60s. cuban links also sounds 70s

All true and well observed but deliberate. This is wh I was saying On the phuturist thread that mid 90s hip hop is an example of music I love that's not remotely phuturist. Kodwo Eshun slates Mobb Deep in More Brilliant than the Sun. For him they are an example of everything which is retrograde and reactionary about black music.

CrowleyHead

Yeah I indicated similar when I was doing the response to craner way back when I believe (not to toot my own horn or whatever, just to further).

There's also other southern rap than Miami Bass like Droid said b/c honestly Miami Bass is an 80s thing really. Atlanta Bass is really the thing of the 90s which, would you say it's its own thing? Probably not.

luka

That’s only because you and corpse hold what I do in low esteem. You don’t see the subtlety. In my hands this would’ve been two separate threads for starters.

We appreciate you Barty. Don't worry mate, I called you the messiah a few days ago. Don't get down.

sadmanbarty

I’m a magician desperate to show how I do the tricks because it’s so cleaver, but knowing if I do the show’s over.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
even trance was just eurodisco with modern production techniques. 2step was of course a great gift but is almost (if not entirely) unknown outside of the UK, unless you're some weird russian nerd. for some inexplicable reason russians are into absolutely everything recorded in human history, even isis nasheeds.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
00's: bit of grime
10's: the same dembow rhythm on every pop song and deconstructed sex cults

it's a downwards spiral