The Edukators

tox

Factory Girl
Film forum seems to be quite quiet at the moment, so just thought I'd drop a post bout this film The Edukators that came out recently.

Very interesting German film, which deals with the changing politcal views people have over the course of their lives. The film focuses on three young political activists who try to educate the rich in an effort to fight the capitalist system. Their group acts kind of like Robin Hood and his Merry Men, but instead of stealing stuff, they just break into people's houses and rearrange the furniture. I guess the intention is to make some kind of a mockery of their material possessions. From there, the plot takes an interesting twist when they accidentally kidnap one of these fat cats and then learn about his own politcal past.

Saw the film on election night and it made quite topical viewing. You hear a lot about political profiles and the ways political parties try to pigeon-hole different groups in society in an attempt to appeal to them. This film goes some way to demonstrating how people end up in these different groups and the different priorities you have through life. At my current stage in life I would associate my views very much with the young people in The Edukators, but it has made me think that perhaps my ideals will change with age.

Don't know how big the release was for this film, but if you get the chance it's definately worth a look.

owen

just seen this, thought it was excellent. pleased with how seriously the political arguments were taken, it never resorted to the patronising attitude to leftish politics customary in these things. (cf something like 'the last supper') the kidnappers were, in the last instance, more sympathetic than the kidnapped. it was never suggested that their politics were just a reflection of hangups, or that they were middle class poseurs. quite refreshing, that.

it is a shame about the soundtrack though- its not as if there's a shortage of good contemporary german music that could have been slapped on it. jeff frigging buckley i ask you